Jump to content

waiting again for toilet tank fix


shootingstar
 Share

Recommended Posts



8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

...the whole cylinder/pump or whatever out because there might be another problem related to calcium or rust build up.

You didn't say what was wrong.  Assuming it's leaking or not flushing correctly.

If this is a power flush toilet, I've never owed/worked on one.  

If this is just a flush toilet, it's probably a good idea to replace the flush valve, because of the calcium and/or rust build up. 

Before you do that, if it won't flush, it may be as simple as the chain disconnected from the flush lever. Reconnect the chain, and it should work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

You didn't say what was wrong.  Assuming it's leaking or not flushing correctly.

If this is a power flush toilet, I've never owed/worked on one.  

If this is just a flush toilet, it's probably a good idea to replace the flush valve, because of the calcium and/or rust build up. 

Before you do that, if it won't flush, it may be as simple as the chain disconnected from the flush lever. Reconnect the chain, and it should work.

No, chain is fine.  I live in a hard water part of CAnada.  I didn't know it until moved to this province.  There is a difference in speed of calcium build up.  Even when one washes hair..

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I live in a hard water part of CAnada.  I didn't know it until moved to this province.  There is a difference in speed of calcium build up.  Even when one washes hair..

It sounds like you need a good water softener.  Or one that works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I'm the janitor at home.  After 36 years of home ownership, it's quicker and for sure cheaper to fix as much as possible by myself.

I exhaust dearie whenever I can for simple mechanical stuff...no problem.  He's happy to help where he can. There are things he's done...built his own farm house.

11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

It sounds like you need a good water softener.  Or one that works.

I live in a condo....that would be a common expense...which our building has more pressing infrastructure fixes. Like rehabbing the underground parking concrete after a decade of use...even though I don't even own a car (but I rent out parking stall.).

The hard water thing sure means even using white vinegar a few times/year to clean the dishwasher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many toilets do you have?  If two, why not replace it yourself.  It is the easiest of home repairs.  My daughter rebuilt her toilet a few months ago.  Her dad taught her well. :)  There is no shortage of DIY stuff on YouTube. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How many toilets do you have?  If two, why not replace it yourself.  It is the easiest of home repairs.  My daughter rebuilt her toilet a few months ago.  Her dad taught her well. :)  There is no shortage of DIY stuff on YouTube. 

Toilets are indeed the easiest. You need to be a bit brutish to rip the toilet out and off the wax seal but that's about it. And the joy of smashing the old porcelain at the dump cannot be overlooked.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

There was a cracked in little plastic, porcelain thing sticking up from bottom

This is the easiest way to fix that

AC90166B-FD32-4C05-8510-C911518BF5A1.thumb.png.ae9d27b90b3d3f13cd64ee207e54184c.png

but if you want to put all new parts it’s not that expensive and basically gives you a new toilet.

457C5FCC-7596-4A0C-A169-81408CEC8F3B.thumb.png.d2434bd0aacf1871615f3521633cb755.png

putting in the whole kit is a bit more work because it involves removing the tank and remounting it. It would probably take you an hour to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey LJ, the plumber looked at my brand-new boxed Fluidmaster toilet fill valve...and said he had a better one.  He was abit dismissive of Fluidmaster. :(  The flapper was a slight problem, it just never sat properly aligned....  but more minor compared to the permanent crack ...

I have a feeling with my different brand, new toilet fill valve...it may need a plumber if there will be problems...re calcification, etc. Well, at least will try the diluted white vinegar soak and whatever else I need to do, once a year ...which I've never done before.

Good thing, I'm working still and can pay for this.  At least used the toilet for a decade. (though our toilet in Vancouver for past 18 yrs. never had any problems at all. The water is softer there.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are having calcium buildup that you can actually see diluted vinegar isn’t going to cut it. Shut off the water to the tank and flush to let out the water, then use liquid toilet bowl cleaner. It is designed to remove calcium build up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If you are having calcium buildup that you can actually see diluted vinegar isn’t going to cut it. Shut off the water to the tank and flush to let out the water, then use liquid toilet bowl cleaner. It is designed to remove calcium build up.

Good tip. We don't have calcium build up either so wouldn't know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

How good is that liquid cleaner for your septic system?  We are limited in what we use, as we have septic systems at both places. Calcium buildup is only a problem at the home place. Water down south is as good or better than bottled water.

I have never had septic issues anywhere I lived. Things like bleach are harder on them. Twenty seven years here without problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Kinda tired for 2nd time /day for this guy to come.  Dearie isn't around and besides he wasn't comfortable taking out the whole cylinder/pump or whatever out because there might be another problem related to calcium or rust build up. I seriously wonder about this firm.

This can happen.  There is a rubber seal on the bottom of the tank that lifts to let in fresh water when you flush and ours was leaking because of buildup.  My husband cleaned ours, and removed the buildup and it stopped running.  It would keep letting in fresh water constantly.  

Hard water problems.  I bet I get plenty of calcium just from drinking my tap water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...