What are the qualifications to become great?

Wilbur

Now if I were to say to the rest of Canada, Alberta is great.  The most polite person would smile frozen and politely agree...you have the Rocky Mountains...the best part ...and the most sunshine in the winter.  

A lot of other Canadians are probably feelin' sorry for us...because of strange leadership right now. (wanting to be independent...from rest of Canada. Incredibly stupid and irresponsible to the residents.)

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I only ever hear "The Great State of_____________".  Never the "modest state" or "below average state" or "a state that tries but fails"..

In terms of states, cities, actors, musicians, and underperforming mutual fund managers reported on financial sites, existing is "great."

You can fool some of the people all of the time.  When I was much younger, I used to learn the lead guitar part of an easy song my brother's band played. When they were playing in some dive and wanted to help me pick up women, the band's lead singer would b.s. the audience, "Hey folks, we've got local rock legend Mickey C in the bar tonight. Hey Mick, come on up and do a song with us."

So I did the pre-learned easy-guitar riffs, my brother the base player and other band members would gawk at me as if I was Jimi Hendrix and it was sometimes amazing.  People would be sitting shots and beer chasers at the edge of the stage in front of me and I partied with a few women who otherwise probably wouldn't have looked at me twice.

So, "Great" is often what people are led to believe is great.  Of course, when you're in your late 20's and march with a mostly mercenary army from small Macadonia and Greece and conquer your way around the east end of the Mediterranean, conquer Egypt, conquer the Persian Empire and then grab chunks on Afghanistan and India, you rightly ARE Alexander the Great!

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

In terms of states, cities, actors, musicians, and underperforming mutual fund managers reported on financial sites, existing is "great."

You can fool some of the people all of the time.  When I was much younger, I used to learn the lead guitar part of an easy song my brother's band played. When they were playing in some dive and wanted to help me pick up women, the band's lead singer would b.s. the audience, "Hey folks, we've got local rock legend Mickey C in the bar tonight. Hey Mick, come on up and do a song with us."

So I did the pre-learned easy-guitar riffs, my brother the base player and other band members would gawk at me as if I was Jimi Hendrix and it was sometimes amazing.  People would be sitting shots and beer chasers at the edge of the stage in front of me and I partied with a few women who otherwise probably wouldn't have looked at me twice.

So, "Great" is often what people are led to believe is great.  Of course, when you're in your late 20's and march with a mostly mercenary army from small Macadonia and Greece and conquer your way around the east end of the Mediterranean, conquer Egypt, conquer the Persian Empire and then grab chunks on Afghanistan and India, you rightly ARE Alexander the Great!

Honest, Mick I don't recall, in tourism sites for Canadian provinces....use of Great (insert name of province)… it has been "Fabulous" or "Wonderful" or Beautiful (British Columbia).  

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

All you great people have convinced me to put away my snowblower.  It was a great winter.

You may want to wait until June.  20 minutes after you run the snow blower to burn off the last of the gas, you're getting 12 inches of snow. 

• Awesome 1