Jump to content

Was talking about economics


shootingstar
 Share

Recommended Posts

DH, I don't get it.  The discussion was about interdependency and local economies.  It wasn't meant to be political, DH.

I'm making this open here on this forum only because it appears economics doesn't need to be political at all. The virus has been talked a lot here....and it's not political either. There were times, I was a little tired of the jokes re the virus, but I let it go.

The supply chain is being affected for some companies in North America...a lot of the manufacturers and even some retail stores in Canada just have had to plan differently for now. 

  • Heart 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Impact on local retailers:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/coronavirus-retail-ottawa-gatineau-1.5448082

https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn/news/economic/2020/02/coronavirus-could-have-multiple-impacts-on-construction

I worked for a $800 million construction project in Metro Vancouver.  The infrastructure builder was having the major road bridge pieces manufactured and some welding done in China. I remember being amazed as I was seeing all the digital welding certificates for the job done.  'Rebar came from Thailand.

You would be amazed to understand just what has been manufactured overseas for large infrastructure projects now for past 15 years and more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

What was political about the post?  CBC news isn't a political site.  

 

Ok, you will get Wilbur riled up. I find it far more useful right now in this global situation as a media outlet right now compared to other sources other than the governments and health authorities.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It isn’t political at all that I cannot get basic supplies needed to care for the kids in my schools. Diapers need to be changed on students up to age 21 whether we have gloves or not.   Not sanitary at all. This is a supply chain economics issue. 

  • Heart 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Airehead said:

It isn’t political at all that I cannot get basic supplies needed to care for the kids in my schools. Diapers need to be changed on students up to age 21 whether we have gloves or not.   Not sanitary at all. This is a supply chain economics issue. 

11swwp.jpg?resize=451,442&ssl=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Actually it is. It's Canadians Government Propaganda.

If the article shootingstar posted is propaganda, then are you claiming there is no risk to the supply chain as a result of the Corona Virus? 

Could you post an article that would show the article was propaganda?  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mr. Silly said:

If the article shootingstar posted is propaganda, then are you claiming there is no risk to the supply chain as a result of the Corona Virus? 

Could you post an article that would show the article was propaganda?  

 

Didn't read it. Just commenting on CBC in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

When we've been quarantined for a month, this place will be our lifeline. 

I am getting closer to requesting work from home status, and refraining from attending church.  If someone doesn't make the decision for us.

This may be sensible given your lung condition 

  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Please go back and read your thread. The link you posted is literally from a politics site too.  

 

 

This is a biking site.  Most stuff here has nothing to do with biking.  

This is going to affect the global economy.  Panic buying will create shortages and drive up prices.

People need to chill all the way around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your thread was not locked merely for that link.  You also posted this comment ""Canadians smarter than Americans and for thinking they know the difference between socialism and communism."

I would have let the thread go, but it seemed pointed and political about socialism and communism, which doesn't have much to do with not being able to get supplies.  

I also lock comments that are political and pointed from others.  I don't read everything here.  There are several mods.   You are welcome to report me if you do not agree.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Your thread was not locked merely for that link.  You also posted this comment ""Canadians smarter than Americans and for thinking they know the difference between socialism and communism."

I would have let the thread go, but it seemed pointed and political about socialism and communism, which doesn't have much to do with not being able to get supplies.  

I also lock comments that are political and pointed from others.  I don't read everything here.  There are several mods.   You are welcome to report me if you do not agree.  

Better safe than sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, shootingstar said:

DH, I don't get it.  The discussion was about interdependency and local economies.  It wasn't meant to be political, DH.

 

Or, you could let go of the initial thread. We know the effect of changes in global markets. Point taken; now it's over.

  • Heart 1
  • Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, roadsue said:

Or, you could let go of the initial thread. We know the effect of changes in global markets. Point taken; now it's over.

I don't know.  You can't open a thread on economics w/o it becoming political so I agree with what you are saying.  But I also understand where @shootingstar is coming from.  There are bombs exploding all around us -- that are impacting us all -- and we can't talk about them.  That seems ridiculous too.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...