Seems like a big waste

BR46

38 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

For Amazon purchases I try to choose the fewest packages option but often the boxes are much larger than necessary. We have recycling but from what I gather most cardboard is not recycled. 

That's the case with most recyclable things anymore.

20 minutes ago, Indy said:

That's the case with most recyclable things anymore.

Not at my home, we recycle all we can,and it's not even mandatory where I live. I see the amount of effort and the resources that go into making things. and it just doesn't make since to just throw it all away.

When we signed up for garbage service at our new home, one criteria was they needed to have a way to recycle.  The company I found provided 2 bins, one large one for the garbage and a small one for the recycling.  I called and asked, can you provide a large one for recycling and a small one for the garbage?   The don't do that, and I was the first person to ask that question.  At least they said they would consider that option in the future.  

My recycling bin, is always full, and the large bin, generally had 2 small bags of garbage.

In a 100 years, I can see the garbage land fills in the country being purchased and mined for the raw materials. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Not at my home, we recycle all we can,and it's not even mandatory where I live. I see the amount of effort and the resources that go into making things. and it just doesn't make since to just throw it all away.

When we signed up for garbage service at our new home, one criteria was they needed to have a way to recycle.  The company I found provided 2 bins, one large one for the garbage and a small one for the recycling.  I called and asked, can you provide a large one for recycling and a small one for the garbage?   The don't do that, and I was the first person to ask that question.  At least they said they would consider that option in the future.  

My recycling bin, is always full, and the large bin, generally had 2 small bags of garbage.

In a 100 years, I can see the garbage land fills in the country being purchased and mined for the raw materials. 

You are completely missing it.  Just because you "pay" for recycling pick up, that doesn't mean it doesn't end up in the landfill.  Most of the recyclables, are currently going to the landfill because no one wants them.

• Heart 1

And I dropped stuff off at my local recycling center, they were not sure how much longer they would be able to keep the doors open.  The issues isn't funding, the issue is they have no where to get rid of the crap other than the back of a garbage truck.

So no, I don't pay extra for recycling, seems stupid to pay extra when the majority of it ends up in the same place.  Plus you then are requiring double the amounts of runs to pick up, so you are producing more in air pollution for very little gain.

15 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My township no longer recycles glass. :wacko:

Aluminum, paper, #2 and #1 plastics only.

Same here.  Cardboard doesn't count as paper, so they don't take cardboard anymore because apparently the standards for cardboard recycling is actually pretty tight.  It can't have any grease and various touch it or it's ruined for recycling (so no pizza box) and by the time you commingle, odds are, most of it is now trashed.