Porch pirates

BR46

Are not a problem in this little town. I'm guessing that the neighbor is on vacation somewhere because I haven't seen his truck for almost a week.  Last Thursday I noticed a ups package sitting on his steps and it's still there. 

His daughter lives in the apartment down stairs and goes to her dad's apartment daily to take care of his cats. You think that walking past the package for the last 5 days she would pick it up and put in the house. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I live in the country where you can still trust your postal lady to put the package inside the porch door.  I wonder how much longer before I have to start locking up my house.

Our sunporch is always unlocked and our ups driver just puts the package inside the door. And for the nice jester I buy him a beer when I see him downtown. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I live in the country where you can still trust your postal lady to put the package inside the porch door.  I wonder how much longer before I have to start locking up my house.

This

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You really should look into buying one of these.

I heard those are a real pain if the lock quits working and you have to drill it out.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Zackny said:

I heard those are a real pain if the lock quits working and you have to drill it out.

They are built solid. I put my mailbox on the neighborhood community mailbox rack and the vertical rack posts rotted out. It collapsed under it's own weight causing all boxes to tilt slightly skyward exposing the lock to the elements. You probably guessed it rains here a lot in December and January. My locked didn't like that.

44 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I think I lost it but what was you address again?

Signed,

Your trusted friend Kzoo

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Amazon will put it inside your house or garage if you want.

I wonder if my front door has ever been checked to see if it is locked or not by a bad actor. I often leave it unlocked or forget to lock it, but I haven't found anyone in my house that I didn't know was coming, so maybe you don't need to worry about it either.

Has not been a problem here so far. We get lots of deliveries, sometimes the delivery person will ring the bell but not always.

A couple of weeks ago, I was expecting a package, and the tracking showed it had been delivered, but it was not on the porch.

I clicked on the proof of delivery and it showed a photo of my package at somebody else's door. I roamed the neighborhood and found it several doors down. They got the address wrong.

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

Our sunporch is always unlocked and our ups driver just puts the package inside the door. And for the nice jester I buy him a beer when I see him downtown. 

I had left a BIG pile at the curb for the trash guys. I listened for the truck coming up the street and when I heard it took a 6 pack out. They were happy.

I ordered a fairly expensive (for me) camera last year. Because of the value, a signature was required. I got home too late to make arrangements for the next day. Luckily I was able to arrange a gap in my schedule so I was home at the same time he left the note the first time. As I was driving up the street, I saw him driving away from my house. I honked and flashed my lights and he stopped. He verified who I was and thanked me for making the effort because it was such a hassle to deal with undelivered packages. 

My in-laws live about 1/2 mile away. Still decent neighborhood, but they had a problem with kids bashing their mailbox at night. FIL had a welding shop make a mail box out of plate steel. He wasn't sleeping well the next time the kids arrived. He said he head CLAAANG!, a scream of pain, a door slam and squealing tires. He went out to find a broken bat lying by the mailbox. The kid must have written his name on the bat when he was in Little League, They found him and got his group for several vandalism cases. When the police officer looked over the "crime scene" he told my dad his mailbox was definitely not regulation. Smiled and went to arrest the kids. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

Has not been a problem here so far. We get lots of deliveries, sometimes the delivery person will ring the bell but not always.

A couple of weeks ago, I was expecting a package, and the tracking showed it had been delivered, but it was not on the porch.

I clicked on the proof of delivery and it showed a photo of my package at somebody else's door. I roamed the neighborhood and found it several doors down. They got the address wrong.

so you just went over and stole it? Sounds like we found the porch pirate

• Heart 1

We have a long covered overhang along the walkway to the front door so packages are protected from the elements. Problems is...we don't use the front  door. Most of the time will see a Ring alert and know a package was delivered, but it is open garage door, drive in, enter through interior back/garage door. Occasionally, have tripped over a package as I go out the next morning, typically in the dark, to get the newspaper.