I Always Thought This Was A Good Idea

Razors Edge

...for a city or a micro-country.  DC has a "circulator" bus that hits places like the Mall and Georgetown, and for a while it was free. There have been discussions about going back to that or not, but I generally think - with larger cities - it makes a lot of sense to get more folks using mass transit rather than cars.  

Starting March 1, 2020, Luxembourg abolished train, bus, and tram fares for both residents and tourists alike (with the exception of first-class train fares). Other European cities have previously introduced free public transport (citizens of Tallinn, Estonia, can ride its entire system for free, and anyone can hop on a bus in Dunkirk, France, without paying a fare), but this decision makes Luxembourg the first country in the world to have a free public transit system. 

Since fares weren’t terribly expensive beforehand—just 2€ (US$2.25) for a two-hour ticket that could be used throughout the entire system and 4€ (US$4.50) for a day pass—the government made this decision mostly for environmental reasons in a move to get more cars off the road. (Luxembourg has the highest number of cars per inhabitant in the EU.)

I have a feeling bike commuting in our city if a bus loop with bike transport were available. One of the biggest challenges to commuting is a business corridor that is not bike or pedestrian friendly. I know many people who live on the opposite side of the corridor from their work. They would like to ride, but feel the corridor is too dangerous to cross. They aren't completely wrong. I can ride it during commute once in a while, but it is very obvious commuters are not looking for bikes. I can see where less skilled riders would be uncomfortable. Not saying everyone who tells me they would ride would actually ride, but I think it would help many....WoW included. 

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...for a city or a micro-country.  DC has a "circulator" bus that hits places like the Mall and Georgetown, and for a while it was free. There have been discussions about going back to that or not, but I generally think - with larger cities - it makes a lot of sense to get more folks using mass transit rather than cars.  

Starting March 1, 2020, Luxembourg abolished train, bus, and tram fares for both residents and tourists alike (with the exception of first-class train fares). Other European cities have previously introduced free public transport (citizens of Tallinn, Estonia, can ride its entire system for free, and anyone can hop on a bus in Dunkirk, France, without paying a fare), but this decision makes Luxembourg the first country in the world to have a free public transit system. 

Since fares weren’t terribly expensive beforehand—just 2€ (US$2.25) for a two-hour ticket that could be used throughout the entire system and 4€ (US$4.50) for a day pass—the government made this decision mostly for environmental reasons in a move to get more cars off the road. (Luxembourg has the highest number of cars per inhabitant in the EU.)

Several SoCal beach communities have a free trolly (Some are seasonal) that takes people on a designated route around the city. Often times parking is a bear so it does help but I have never ridden one...