Have you skunk?

Longjohn

Saw one about that size jump into the tall grass along the side of our gravel road last year.  Had a friend in Belen, New Mexico that use to have skunks come and eat with her cats. Her children were afraid she was going to let one or more into the house, which was a possibility, as her eyesight was very poor.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Her children were afraid she was going to let one or more into the house, which was a possibility, as her eyesight was very poor.

:lol:

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

I've heard the de-scented ones make great pets.

There was a tourist trap on the road to the tip of the Kewana Peninsula that had a descented skunk waddling around the store.  It's name was 'Oreo'.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Saw one about that size jump into the tall grass along the side of our gravel road last year.  Had a friend in Belen, New Mexico that use to have skunks come and eat with her cats. Her children were afraid she was going to let one or more into the house, which was a possibility, as her eyesight was very poor.

I wouldn’t be surprised if skunks don’t join in the left over cat food feast on our back deck. My wife used to see them eating sunflower seeds that had fallen on the front porch from the bird feeder. The night critters clean up anything still in the cat dish after it gets dark. I’ve seen raccoons and possums.

While the skunks have decimated our garden corn crop from time to time, I have enjoyed their presence on the property. There are seasons where they tear up the lawn rather badly in their search for grubs. During a face to face confrontation between skunks, one will challenge the other by raising a bushy tail and stomping the ground. I have performed this behavior to chase skunks away. Obviously I don't have a tail so I go from stooped to standing tall while I stomp the ground. One of the few situations where I always win. :)