Post something that will make us smile

Kirby

Just got the blessing from the Park Director that I can do a kid program with the seed ball thing and a large scale regular planting of native plants and trees.   I think the kids will greatly enjoy it.   

The seed balls might be best for single seed. our park guy is an Arborist and he is happy about the ideas and a kid program for all kinds of planting.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

My friends mother saved her baby clothes for her so she could use them on her children. She and her husband decided they didn’t want children. She found a use for those baby clothes on these chilly Florida mornings.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ee2b747066f80aee5623c67ee5f9dfa.jpeg

Zen has that “I’ll get you for this Natalie” looks on his face.

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Sorry, my aim was off with my big fat thumb in my phone. I was trying to give you an 🏆and I thought I did.

AH, thank you.  I am very excited about doing this and other programs to improve the ecology of our zone. 

We plan to use money from private sector fundraising for the event.  This will prevent any anger locally, about monies not being used to their liking.  No tax funds will be used for this event.  

My hope and goal is to get families out for this event.  To use the adults on a larger scale broadcasting event with belly spreaders and rakes.  Some of the kids could maybe stay for some hand work in the mud using a mix similar to the Kenya program.  I was thinking of getting together some trays where this can be mixed in, I will look to donations for the supplies locally.  Maybe a re-purpose of some clamshell plastics that are destined as trash or recycling anyway. 

The parks guy is well versed with starting plants, and he is so great to work with.  While he didn't exactly dislike my idea, he did say to me: 

"After your email I followed up with a closer look into the Kenya seed ball program. They are using a one Acacia seed per seed ball approach. I saw other sites with folks combining multiple seeds per seed ball as well. To me, the greatest value in the seed ball production program would be joy of getting children involved in the process of making and sowing the balls. Youth would find this a fun, messy and rewarding—especially if their seeds come to fruition. I would support any efforts that put this program together for youth education and engagement.

In nature, seed distribution is a bit more random. Plant communities may have heterogenous varieties or homogenous plant types in any given area. Its unlikely that multiple seeds from different plants end up clumped together in one spot, although not impossible. Only so many plants can grow in one spot before out competing one another for resources.  

I like putting together combinations of seeds which are broadcast over a larger area. My favorite seed source is Helena Seed out of Culver, Oregon. Their most recent list of wildflower seeds is attached (they also have native grass seed available). As mentioned in the brochure, individual plant seed varieties can be ordered so one can mix and match according to desired result or planned according to site conditions. I have used the Low Grow Mix quite extensively in landscapes, and combined some with hard fescue seed sown in the Skills Area last fall. I’m hoping to offer another seeding opportunity to volunteers in the coming weeks, weather depending.

As for planting method, I use a hand-held or a “belly” spreader to broadcast seed will walking throughout the target area. After sowing I follow up with a light raking of the area to incorporate the seed into the soil (seed bed), often turning the steel garden rake over to tamp the seed into the soil. This ensures necessary “seed to soil contact” which places the seed into the seed bed at various [shallow] depths and reduces predation by critters. After that all you need is adequate, consistent warm soil temperatures and ample moisture, and voila!— plant production. For nearly all plants, consistent moisture throughout the seed germination and root establishment period is key to their success."

• Heart 1