5 years goes by fast

Indy

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Is she all done with surgeries and dental now?  

No, waiting on a decision on P flap surgery, that is strictly for speech.  Hasn't been determined if she will need it yet or not, if she does will be this summer.

Then will probably need a bone graft to finish the jaw somewhere between 10-13.  And lots of orthodontics work before and after that.  They actually try to move teeth away from the graft to preserve the teeth then move them back afterwards.

We are hopefully she's made enough speech progress that we can skip the P flap, would be nice to skip one.

• Heart 3

And I guess if she wants wants any touch up work on her nose or lip when she's around 18, since it's pre-exisiting condition from a cleft and not 100% just for cosmetic reasons with no underlying condition, insurance will pay for that.  But that will be completely her decision.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

And I guess if she wants wants any touch up work on her nose or lip when she's around 18, since it's pre-exisiting condition from a cleft and not 100% just for cosmetic reasons with no underlying condition, insurance will pay for that.  But that will be completely her decision.

They seem to have done an incredible job.  It is getting difficult to even see.  

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They seem to have done an incredible job.  It is getting difficult to even see.  

To most it is, if you know what to look for, it's easy.  I can spot people who were born with cleft's now easy.  It's the nose that gives it away, not the lip, one side tends to be flatter than the other on the nostrils aren't quite aligned.

• Heart 2

Time will slow down when the teenage years begin.  Some days will seem like an eternity.

Just wait for, dad can I have the car keys?    Even better, don't worry dad _____ (fill in the blank) is a real nice guy, and I'll be home on time.

Walking your daughter down the isle...  that's a day you won't forget.

It goes by VERY fast enjoy the ride.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Indy said:

To most it is, if you know what to look for, it's easy.  I can spot people who were born with cleft's now easy.  It's the nose that gives it away, not the lip, one side tends to be flatter than the other on the nostrils aren't quite aligned.

My older brother was born with a cleft lip and palete back in the early 60's so I remember him going through multiple surgeries, check-ups and orthodontist appointments as he got older.  It must have all worked as he ended up being a radio sports reporter/broadcaster with no speech issues at all

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Zephyr said:

My older brother was born with a cleft lip and palete back in the early 60's so I remember him going through multiple surgeries, check-ups and orthodontist appointments as he got older.  It must have all worked as he ended up being a radio sports reporter/broadcaster with no speech issues at all

Yeah, despite all of it, speech is the biggest issue.  They told us that before she was born and didn't quite believe it, we believe it now as she goes to speech three times a week.  It's working though as most people can understand what she says now.

• Heart 1