How is your vitamin D level?

Wilbur

I recently read a UK study that showed a 19% reduction in viral and bacterial respiratory infections with a daily oral Vitamin D. 

In people with a lower than normal vitamin D level, (often dark skinned european, northern dwellers), a darker shade of white, the reduction of infection was 70%. 

There is also no increased calcium nor renal stones.

There is a significant reduction in cancer and higher cancer survival rates. 

With the current pandemic descending on us, one might start popping a vitamin D on a daily basis, (10-25 mcg).  Especially if your D levels are low. 

IDr. Wilbur.  :) 

• Heart 2

Good, as I take 5000 units a day.  I do not get much sun, except on my face that is slavered in sun screen. The rest of me is covered 24/7 365. I've been low a couple of times and had to start the regime to get it back to normal, but the 5000 seems to work fine, and my readings are good.

• Heart 2

Low, as in wasn't taking and at my annual physical last Tuesday, Dr want me to take 5000 D3 plus 100 B12 which he recommended the Centrum Silver 50+ for the B12. Problem is, it also includes 1000 D3 so ended up getting the 2000 D3 for a total of 3000. Guess I could take an extra D3 to bring it up to 5000 total.

I take a separate 1,000 units of Vitamin D each day in addition to a multivitamin.  I tested low a few years ago, so the doctor suggested the vitamin, and she hasn't mentioned it since, so I assume I'm ok now.

• Heart 1

Vitamin has a "be careful over 4,000 IU (100mcg)" warning that relates to dangerously high levels of calcium in the blood.  Of course, low calcium may be something folks already are dealing with, so the Vit D mat not cause a problem.  Current US recommendation is only 800 IU (20mcg), so be careful self determining what you need and work with a doctor to determine your current levels and your desired levels & the path to hit those levels.

• Heart 1

Watch out for crystals in your urine and possible gall stones is you take very high levels of Vitamin D.

I had a fantastic family doctor a decade ago who, unfortunately for mw, moved to Hawaii.  He added an annual Vitamin D (aka Vitamin D3) test to my diabetic blood tests. He said the min. desired blood level was 32 ng/mL, but he said studies of west coast and other surfers (who got lots of sun to help synthesize D) showed that 40 was better than 32, 50 was better than 40, and 60 was better than 50.

He took my annual measurement in February each year - the worst time for the Sunshine Vitamin, so my level was usually something like 12.

So he prescribed (OTC) 4000 IU's of Vitamin D per day.

I had an annual urine test 6 months later and there were "too many crystals to count" in it.

I cut back to 1000 IU's and the crystals went away.

Today, I just take  Centrum Silver for Men 50+ and it has 1000 IU's of Vitamin D.

A sad story about my first Vitamin D test.

When Vitamin D was added to the 12 other tests done for my diabetes tests, the lab's computer got my BCBS ID wrong for that one test alone, assumed I had no insurance and sent me a bill for $256.  A 60-second phone call straightened it out.

Soon afterward I got an EOB letter from Carefirst BCBS.  It showed it paid in full for the Vitamin D test: $16.  I have no copays for tests.

So, if you're down on your luck and have to pay 100% of your medical costs, prepare to be unconscionably gouged!