Have you completed your 2020 Census form yet?

Road Runner

I just did mine.  They asked for my origin.  I do not know my origin past 20th century NC and VA.  I am light skinned, so I assume I am Caucasian, but English, Scottish, Irish, German...  who knows?  I'm surprised they ask for this.  Aren't we supposed to be a melting pot?

Do you know your origin?

• Heart 1

BTW, was it question #8?

8. Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?

NOTE: Please answer both Question 8 about Hispanic origin and Question 9 about race.  For this census, Hispanic origins are not races. Hispanic origin can be viewed as the heritage, nationality, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person’s parents or ancestors before arriving in the United States. People who identify as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be any race.

Why we ask this question: These responses help create statistics about this ethnic group. This helps federal agencies monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as those in the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act.

I do know my origins. On my mother’s side Roger came over from England in 1630 on The Mary & John as part of the Puritan flotilla that settled Boston.

On my father’s side Thomas came from England in 1619 on the boat, George, and landed in Jamestown. 

They sent a census guy out here to do an in person survey. He put down, English.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Just got it yesterday.

Origin? Ancestry.com says I'm 97% Irish.

I would think most people don't actually know, other than what their parents and grandparents told them.  My parents always said we were of Scottish and Irish descent, but who knows?

22 minutes ago, Allen said:

I do know my origins. On my mother’s side Roger came over from England in 1630 on The Mary & John as part of the Puritan flotilla that settled Boston.

On my father’s side Thomas came from England in 1619 on the boat, George, and landed in Jamestown. 

They sent a census guy out here to do an in person survey. He put down, English.

My mother’s family, John Dod, came to Jamestown in 1607 on the Susan Constant. We can trace them through Virginia, N.C. and into Texas. I know little about my father’s family, I suspect Germany as their country of origin.

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I just did mine.  They asked for my origin.  I do not know my origin past 20th century NC and VA.  I am light skinned, so I assume I am Caucasian, but English, Scottish, Irish, German...  who knows?  I'm surprised they ask for this.  Aren't we supposed to be a melting pot?

Do you know your origin?

27 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Other - Human.  Next!

I refuse to answer any of those race/religion/orientation questions in the way they want me to.  I completely disagree with asking them and would refuse to take the damn thing at all if they would ever give up asking... but they don't.

Yay we have people like me here. I object to those questions that are trying to divide us. I always write in human in the place where it says other. The census they did ten years ago I was one of the ones picked to fill out the long form. It was as thick as a small town phone book. It had all kind of none of their business questions. I threw it in the trash. A month later they sent me another one with a warning me that I was required by law to fill it out. I threw it in the trash.  Two weeks later there was a knock at the door. Foolishly I answered the door. It was a census worker and he told me he wasn’t going to leave until I answered the questions.

It was a guy I graduated with and I also worked with him for nine years. I didn’t give him the answers they wanted but he wrote them down and was happy to get away.

6 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I am light skinned, so I assume I am Caucasian, but English, Scottish, Irish, German...  who knows? 

I know...    We all need free 23andMe tests for everyone in the country.   And why not include a virus test kit too.

And then in 10 years we would know the our ancestry and if we had the virus.  It probably will take that long to test everyone.

Capture.JPG.aa9270451ca4c4459a230872366ea321.JPG

Man, that seems pretty simple to me! White... American.  I assume that's a fair answer.

How do you narrow down, from say just 7 generations of parents, grandparents, etc.???  That's a lot of "origin" stories!  Over 250 to choose from!

image.thumb.png.d982759c4828a552a5a58a023ac600df.png

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Jamestown in 1607

Hell, if we go back over a dozen generations, your into the thousands. If you're 1/1,000 anything, are you really that?

• Heart 2

Do you know your origin?

So you have to give just one answer?  Unpossible for me - I am just a Yourapean mutt AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So you have to give just one answer?  Unpossible for me - I am just a Yourapean mutt AFAIK.

Yeah, seems insane. Whites, blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc all have more than ONE origination.  Unless, we go REALLY far back, and then maybe we all share the same origin.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

45 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hell, if we go back over a dozen generations, your into the thousands. If you're 1/1,000 anything, are you really that?

Yeah, mostly English and Scotch... and this:

John married the Indian maiden Jane, daughter of Chief Eagle Plume of Colorado, of the Iroquois Indian Nation, and became the parents of William and Jesse Dodson. Jesse and William took brides from the Bride Ships about 1630.

• Heart 1

How does one classify the origin of offspring from a German immigrant and a Sicilian American?

Others have tried with "Rocket scientist with a temper" but that only covers part of it.  Add in some Irish and my children are in some distress with this question.  By the time you get to the next generation we're mixed race.

Off hand I'd say that this question might be the product of some serious stupidity.

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Nothing here yet....    We moved into a new home about 1 year ago, it has a new address too.  It will be interesting to see if they find me.   I'm sure the county real estate tax assessor will find me.

https://2020census.gov/en/important-dates.html 

Yeah, when I entered my name it pulled up info on me.  Clearly they hit the assessor's data.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

nada  Am I so uninteresting that even the government doesn't care?  :(

Or maybe we just threw it out with the other spam.

They will send you another one. Last time they had a senseless I kept throwing mine in the trash. The third time I got a knock at the door. Twenty years ago I was out in the garden and less than fully clothed. A lady showed up wanting me to answer questions for the senseless. I stood beside her car and answered her questions.i told her my opinion about the every ten year senseless. She thanked me for taking the time to talk to her.

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

We moved into a new home about 1 year ago, it has a new address too.  It will be interesting to see if they find me.

It is "To Resident At....<street address>", and not "To Bikeguy".  It is a census, not a phone directory or tax form.

Separately, those who are struggling with the idea of this relatively simple civic duty, remember it is a civic duty.

And just to be VERY CLEAR, the Census is an ARTICLE 1 Constitutional right and responsibility.  Part of the foundation of the US - part of the " fundamental purposes and guiding principles" of a new nation.

Section 2

3: Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.2  The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative;

• Envious 1

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is "To Resident At....<street address>", and not "To Bikeguy".  It is a census, not a phone directory or tax form.

I get that...  The address for my home didn't exist until just a bit more than a year ago.  There never was a home here, until we built a new home.   I'm just not sure the census data includes my address.   

I read somewhere the census team may have visited many areas looking for new homes, abandoned homes, etc...  to update their data.

Does the invitation to the census have an access code, pin number, etc.. for the address?     I'd assume there should be, otherwise what's there to prevent people taking the census more than once on line?

Worse case, I'll have to call the census 800 number.   Or I'll just try to fill out the census on line.

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Does the invitation to the census have an access code, pin number, etc.. for the address?     I'd assume there should be, otherwise what's there to prevent people taking the census more than once on line?

Yes.  A twelve digit Census ID.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Yes.  A twelve digit Census ID.

Same. Took about three minutes to complete online.  Chose "White - American" for me and my wife. I was born in PA, and she in CA.  Maybe should have put "United States of American"?  Do you think they might confuse my answer with Mexico or CAnada?

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I put down what my parents told me, Scottish-Irish.  I can't see what difference it makes to 21st Century America where my ancestors came from.  Scotland or Ireland?  BFD.  

Were your parent born in Scotland or Ireland? Were you born outside the US?  Your origin, in the most technical and rational and simple senses, is where you are born. We could stretch it to where you were conceived (perhaps a vacation in Scotland). And it is a huge stretch to use your parents' birthplaces.

It is important to complete this, as I believe It helps to know how many people live in an area.  This affects funding, etc.

I thought the questions seemed biased.  I just put white, and origin was born in the USA.  My parents were born here too.  

Also, they didn't allow a non-binary option.  Our state allows you to be non-binary on your DL.  

It seemed to have a whole different section for Hispanic, but the main race section was broken down differently.  Strange.

28 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I just realized I better stop at my home's local post office, end the hold It put on my mail Mar. 4, and forward it to my new address!

The hold is good to April something, so hopefully, I'll get at avalanche of junk mail.

I wish snail mail had a junk mail filter like emails do. I wanted to set a garbage can by the mailbox and mark it “junk mail” my wife said the mailman wouldn’t sort it for me. I often stop at the garbage tote on the way to the house and throw the mail away.