Spoiler Alert

Former member

This appeared in the "newsflashes" in the Tour feed this morning:

Questioned by letour.fr, Tinkoff-Saxo's directeur sportif Philippe Mauduit who jumped in the second team car to let a free seat to Alberto Contador after his retirement explained: “Alberto badly crashed. His right knee is seriously injured. The crash has been violent. I have his shoe with me, it's completely destroyed. According to some rumors, his bike has been broken but that's not the case. A bike fell from our racks after we fixed Nicolas Roche's bike. It's obviously too early to...

The bike in the photo bears #31, Contador's race number.  If a rider has a spare bike on the team car, does it already have his number installed?

I didn't see the crash - any chance a broken frame contributed?

I am dubious that a frame problem caused the crash. If a hole in the ground were to cause a frame failure, it wouldn't be smack in the ass of the downtube, it would be a headtube separation, as I see it, anyway. I am not an engineer.

if the frame breaking didn't causing the wreck, the wreck was caused by a rock or hole in the road, that didn't effect anyone else in the race.

Specialized claims that the bike was run over by the team car.

Valverde claims they were going about 60kmph when Contador went down.

Looks like the team caused the broken frame, had nothing to do with riding.

4. The Tinkoff-Saxo team car, having given Roche his spare bike rush to the scene of Contador. They have Contador’s spare bike on the roof but, travelling at speed clip the bikes on the Belkin car they are overtaking and break Contador’s spare bike. Contador is given another spare and continues.

So it got broke on the rough of the car when it hit something, and it's his spare bike that got broken.

Looks like the team caused the broken frame, had nothing to do with riding.

4. The Tinkoff-Saxo team car, having given Roche his spare bike rush to the scene of Contador. They have Contador’s spare bike on the roof but, travelling at speed clip the bikes on the Belkin car they are overtaking and break Contador’s spare bike. Contador is given another spare and continues.

So it got broke on the rough of the car when it hit something, and it's his spare bike that got broken.

the only problem with this story, is that it's one of three explanations that Specialized gave for the broken frame. At one point they claimed it was Nicolas Roche's spare bike that was broken falling off the roof rack. Another story they gave was that they ran it over with their team car.

This is a photo of Cantador after the wreck waiting for the team car, and his bike is still in one piece(and has a different paint scheme).

A5007894-073C-4E47-83F1-6D53A68A7308_zps

Yes, but there are pictures of the broken bike and it is very clean and pictures of the dirty bike he wrecked still in once piece.  So the bike clearly didn't break while being ridden.

The broken bike is clearly his spare bike.

Yes, but there are pictures of the broken bike and it is very clean and pictures of the dirty bike he wrecked still in once piece. So the bike clearly didn't break while being ridden.

there's also no proof of when that photo was taken. It could have happened days ago, it could have been cleaned before the photo, who really knows.

All we know for a fact is that Specialized is a company full of douchewaffles, and that Tinkoff-Saxo Bank has a broken S-Works frame.

Yes, but there are pictures of the broken bike and it is very clean and pictures of the dirty bike he wrecked still in once piece.  So the bike clearly didn't break while being ridden.

The broken bike is not clear, it is painted black and blue and yellow.  Heck, there is a picture of it above if you don't believe me.