Man Overboard! #2

Razors Edge

On the ride yesterday, it was a stiff headwind followed by a nice tailwind for the return trip.  This video starts at the turn-around where I swap bottles, and then start rolling again. You can see the two riders across the road waiting for the signal and you see it change just as it is about to disappear from the shot.  Anyway, as per normal, I get moving again a bit more slowly and drink some water. You'll see  one of the guys from the intersection catch up to me just past the underpass, and then pull away. I decided he might be a fun "carrot" and slowly reeled him in, but just as I was catching back, I dropped a water bottle (9min in). These new bottles seem to be more flexy than my other bottles, so they sometimes don't engage with the bottle cage as early or snuggly.  Anyway, that killed any momentum, and I thought the chase was done.  However, a few minutes later, I thought I could see him up ahead in the distance and put the gas back on :)

3 hours ago, donkpow said:

Is this you?

I had a bit of that with the Kelly rider.  These latest guys are in the "I'm too cool to say hi" group of cyclists.  It is amazing how many folks I pass that I say hi to who do not return (or even acknowledge) the greeting.  Just bizarre.  Isn't limited at all to the roadies. Plenty of other cyclists too.  And similar during a walk or hike when you pass someone coming from the other direction. Just plain rude in my book.

• Sad 1

I really don't care to engage others when riding. I say hello, however. It irritates me when someone gets on my wheel. One guy actually apologized when I expressed my irritation. I offered to let a guy draft me on a windy day. He declined. I don't see nearly the number of people that you do, according to your videos.

6 hours ago, donkpow said:

I really don't care to engage others when riding. I say hello, however. It irritates me when someone gets on my wheel. One guy actually apologized when I expressed my irritation. I offered to let a guy draft me on a windy day. He declined. I don't see nearly the number of people that you do, according to your videos.

I definitely don't actively encourage interaction, but I try to say hello to anyone I pass going my direction, and wave to any cyclist I pass going the other direction on country roads. I'll do the head nod or finger wave to folks looking my direction who are coming the other way.

My videos, without the people, are about as exciting as paint drying (except the animal ones).  But, yeah, I see a lot of folks in a hour or two.  Folks drafting me is quite common. I also have a lot of chances to draft folks, but generally I am riding for the exercise, so unless they are really humping along (and it is tough to hang), then my workout would suffer from the drop in my HR to "warm up" levels.  A draft saves a LOT of energy, so I usually save them for when I am gassed or in a group event.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I like riding on roads since the rare biker I meet there usually just zips right on by me.  :D  Trails are usually too populated for my tastes. We only have one nearby so not much of an issue. 

I do roads too :)