At the LBS today

Parsnip Totin Jack

39 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

People are hoarding bikes again like they did during the gas lines in 1979?

Is that when they had all the gas’s lines? I missed that, I had my own gas pump in 1979. I remember gas stations not being open on Sundays in the early 70s. I blew a piston in my pickup on the way home from a race and needed to buy a case of oil to get me home on five cylinders. I saw someone walking around in a closed up gas station and managed to get him to sell me some oil. He said absolutely no gas.

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

People are hoarding bikes again like they did during the gas lines in 1979?

I remember the 1973 lines as teachers would send students (teachers pets) out to wait in line

MacNiel Lehrer report 1979 Lots of fuggetaboutits in this report

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I thought you left the shop, what gives?

I stayed on payroll for discounts and that I’d work in an emergency but not a regular schedule. Campy parts are expensive. Employee purchase programs are good too: 20% under wholesale prices. I am a cheap whore.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

10 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I stayed on payroll for discounts and that I’d work in an emergency but not a regular schedule. Campy parts are expensive. Employee purchase programs are good too: 20% under wholesale prices. I am a cheap whore.

I owned a bike shop for a brief period in the 2000nds. A couple of my distributors extended the 20% off wholesale on selected brands direct to my employees. The only catch, if you can call it that, was they had to pay direct with their own credit card. It could not be on the shop account.

51 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I owned a bike shop for a brief period in the 2000nds. A couple of my distributors extended the 20% off wholesale on selected brands direct to my employees. The only catch, if you can call it that, was they had to pay direct with their own credit card. It could not be on the shop account.

Same policy here, we pay upfront when ordering 

17 hours ago, Old#7 said:

We were slammed. You would never know that we are under a viral threat. It was take my money all day long. We are practically sold out of kids bikes until we restock. Mostly 8-12 year olds who are out of school for 4 weeks. Parents bought bikes, racks to take bikes on trips, we had six sales people and four in service and were busy all day. Total sales were almost $42k; an unheard of number for March. Those are July numbers when the tour is on. We had some good beer after restocking. Went home and had a good pie for dinner.

This is a good unintended consequence; however I suspect the reason they are out of school is to stay away from other kids.

Just now, Square Wheels said:

This is a good unintended consequence; however I suspect the reason they are out of school is to stay away from other kids.

The LBS was packed, not like when Jens Voigt was there, but there was no 6 feet of distance between people. We had two bottles of sanitizer at the front registers (for employees) but we didn’t stop anyone from using them.