COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

18 minutes ago, 12string said:

I'm starting to get really test about people saying "well, you have to do what you're comfortable with".  That's BS!  There's no comfort zone, these are people's lives we're messing with.  I'm healthy, I'll survive.  But I just might help that poor asthmatic delivery kid die.  You know, so I can be comfortable and not have to cook dinner

My community is very small.  We have a lack of ventilators in town.  We also have a decent amount of elderly, people with COPD, asthma, and chronic illnesses. People are going to die.  Our hospital is very small.  

But, go ahead and have the fucking meeting you need, in person, with 6 feet of distance between people.  Fucking morons.  I am done fucking around with this inaction.

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My community is very small.  We have a lack of ventilators in town.  We also have a decent amount of elderly, people with COPD, asthma, and chronic illnesses. People are going to die.  Our hospital is very small.  

But, go ahead and have the fucking meeting you need, in person, with 6 feet of distance between people.  Fucking morons.  I am done fucking around with this inaction.

We are rapidly heading to that Italian "whoa - what happened?!" situation.

32 minutes ago, 12string said:

I'm starting to get really test about people saying "well, you have to do what you're comfortable with".  That's BS!  There's no comfort zone, these are people's lives we're messing with.  I'm healthy, I'll survive.  But I just might help that poor asthmatic delivery kid die.  You know, so I can be comfortable and not have to cook dinner

I'm encountering posts on another forum about how it might turn out as a good thing if boomers die off and give the millennials a chance.  I'm really getting sick of some people.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, jsharr said:

There is another chart that I lost the link to that shows infections per million of population.  At this point the US is near the bottom of that chart by a factor of 10.  Without action and testing it won't stay that way for long.

• Heart 1

Rumor on the street - The big 3 is going to close all plants for cleaning until March 30th.  The announcement is supposed to be this afternoon at take effect tomorrow.  That 150,000 peeps without downstream fallout  

I'm thinking that if they close tomorrow they aren't restarting on April 1st.

WoKzoo is off because schools are closed for 3 weeks and then a week of Spring Break.  She thinks she is returning to work on the 13th - I highly doubt it.

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

There is another chart that I lost the link to that shows infections per million of population.  At this point the US is near the bottom of that chart by a factor of 10.  Without action and testing it won't stay that way for long.

An interesting discussion last night on the importance of surveillance testing (in addition to the more acute testing) of the broader population to actually get our heads around it. The one person was saying you sort of dig back in time through the past few months to start seeing how and when it spread - often hidden behind other issues. An example being reviewing all pneumonia cases at a hard hit hospital for the past few months to see if the tests show coronavirus. Then look at the people who were involved and see how they test, and so.  ANYONE with the antibodies will have had exposure to it, so you start to get way more accurate trend info and maybe fine how it moved from area to area better.

Anyway, she was worried because that test, a useful tool, is not in development (to her knowledge). Just a focus on the main test for folks who have the virus actively.

I see all the testing centers lining up for when test are ready.  I'm  a little concerned about the plan that anyone can just roll up and take a test, no prescription, no symptoms.  And a pass means go out on the town!  With people who DIDN'T get a test, or decided they don't feel THAT sick.  

Some sort of documented clean only allowed out is the only solution to that

23 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yea, if we do find out we are immune to this after getting it, we will indeed have superpowers.  Hopefully we will start testing for that shortly but who effing knows at this point. 

If I survive this and do gain immunity, my schedule Will be busy.  Especially if I lose my job. 

Meanwhile, at spring break...

--------------------------------------------------

Spring breakers grind and party on booze cruise despite coronavirus pandemic

March 18, 2020 | 3:13pm | Updated

Spring break … forever?

College kids are bucking advice to practice social distancing amid the coronavirus pandemic and instead are partying in tight quarters aboard booze cruises.

A video from STS Travel shows about 250 bikini-clad spring breakers dancing, drinking and throwing their cares to the wind aboard a ship near Nassau, Bahamas, on Monday, a day after the country reported its first COVID-19 case.

“Our last booze cruise was yesterday,” the post reads. “The Blackbeard’s Revenge Cruise took such good care of our travelers, no one had to walk the plank!”

In fact, they’re not the only ones who are ignoring social-distancing advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. STS Travel’s vice president, Jake Jacobsen, tells Business Insider that his company, Student Travel Services, has only seen 20% of customers cancel their travel plans amid the pandemic.

However, Jacobsen says STS Travel cut the capacity of passengers in half for its booze cruises to about 250 people. Many countries have advised against large gatherings and the CDC suggests canceling all US gatherings of 10 or more people in the upcoming weeks and keeping 6 feet away from others.

SEE ALSO

Meanwhile, other college students on spring break are defying safety and lockdown rules in order to keep the party going.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ordered bars and nightclubs in the state to close for 30 days as of Tuesday evening after spring breakers were seen partying at Clearwater Beach.

In Miami, some partiers say they aren’t letting coronavirus wreck their spring break.

“If I get corona, I get corona,” Ohio resident Brady Sluder told Reuters. “At the end of the day, I’m not going to let it stop me from partying.”

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Kick their asses DH. You show 'em who's boss 

Not a boss. Not even a little bit.

They armed me with a new sign to stay 6 feet away.  I don't see other changes being made, but I will see what I am in for tomorrow.  We will see how filthy the building is, as that was one of the items that I greatly complained about. Public building, and lack of cleaning staff.  The ants are taking over, as they have reduced the days they even take out trash.  

It should be dead <=== no pun intended.  Most everyone is gone now.  I hope to be alone in my area that I have personally scrubbed with lysol wipes.  <====karen is beyond trusting essential oil cleaning at this point.  

We will see who hates me tomorrow, for being vocal.

57 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Image from iOS-1.jpg

If you recall we had around 70 people in our lobby Monday for new hire on boarding.  I had reached out to Recruiting asking for a better way, maybe to stagger on boarding.  Basically I was told no, we don’t have the resources to stagger on boarding and if one person is sick they are going to infect the whole floor anyway.

I told them no, they are going to infect 30 people first who will then infect the entire campus.  This chart would have been handy.....

All for naught anyway as we closed all of our buildings the next day...

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I suspect it will help marginally.  Sun's rays are a disinfectant of sorts outdoors, but people are gonna be indoors in hot temps.   Plus, it seems to hit the hotter areas anyway, so going on the premise of it not being the flu and not being a respecter of hunches, the virus is gonna do what it is gonna do.

The virus is going to do what it’s going to do. It’s spreading in Brazil where it is in the high 80’s. Flu burns out in the spring because 1) it’s already infected a bunch of people already 2) vaccines limit the number of people susceptible to infection and 3) we’ve all got some immunity it flu having seen similar strains before in our lives. This virus is completely new, so it’s only limiter is people it’s already infected.

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So once you've gotten it, you are immune?  Or we don't know yet?

It's believed so but the verdict isn't in just yet.  Some folks showed no symptoms after recovering but then ten days later or something like that it came back.  Did they become infected again or did it just lay dormant and kick in again? Most people leave it in the rear view mirror but there are outliers.

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think the young have been misled. More young adults without preexisting medical conditions are dying than is common knowledge, cardiomyopathy happening even after intubation. Their numbers may be low compacted to older patients, but it’s not safe to comingle just because they are yoing.

CDC report published Wednesday:

But of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54. And nearly half of the 121 patients who were admitted to intensive care units were adults under 65, the C.D.C. reported.

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

In the C.D.C. report, 20 percent of the hospitalized patients and 12 percent of the intensive care patients were between the ages of 20 and 44, basically spanning the millennial generation.

It's their lack of premature brains, the overly induced hormones, and their addictions no doubt. Some more younguns are going to have to die before maybe it permeates their brains.

53 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's their lack of premature brains, the overly induced hormones, and their addictions no doubt. Some more younguns are going to have to die before maybe it permeates their brains.

To be fair to them, the media reports up until now had focused on how young, healthy people would have limited illness, with the biggest risk being their transmission to older people with comorbid conditions. If ICU and death for millennials was a featured potential complication of the disease, maybe they wouldn’t be out partying?

36 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

To be fair to them, the media reports up until now had focused on how young, healthy people would have limited illness, with the biggest risk being their transmission to older people with comorbid conditions. If ICU and death for millennials was a featured potential complication of the disease, maybe they wouldn’t be out partying?

Naaaa.  They'd be out partying anyway.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

45 new cases in Michigan yesterday and our 1st death.  The dramatic increase could simply be due to more testing.    

It's the same in CT but New Rochelle is just across the border and by far most of our cases are in the area that is really NYC suburb.  It looks like we have arrived at the doubling every 2 or 3 days which is the earmark of the outbreak in Wuhan and later Iran and Italy.

They are setting up screening tents at the wife’s clinic. She is doing the first shift today. I asked her if she is going to wear protective gear. She said only if the patient has answered the questions that indicate that they could have been exposed. :angry:

well, my husband just got home.  He has told me not to leave our home.  He is preparing for me to stay here for 45 days.  His place of work is already preparing for the worst.  He has plans that if we go on lockdown, he will be living at the hospital.  He is going to take the trailer and they have a zone where it can be parked.  He is getting propane filled, gas cans filled, truck filled.  He is putting plans together.

Meanwhile, my place of business had in person meetings this week.  I received an invite for one, yesterday, via email.  FUCKING IDIOTS!  

After my email yesterday, all they really did was put some info up for mental health resources, and some disclaimers about confusion of contagion. Like, basically things that dampen people's nerves.  It is my belief that they think I am over reacting.  This is clear to me now.  Lots of movement between buildings.  The disclaimer about "please reconsider foreign travel is still listed."  FUCK!  Borders are closed idiots.

Again, these nurses, doctors, grocery staff, and pharmacy people are heroes.  Not sure why we are not shutting down restaurants just yet.  

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Mrs. Silly just talked to someone from her office.  Someone in her department was diagnosed.  I asked her how close the person sat and her response was "close enough." 

This feels like the Passover scene in the movie 10 Commandments.  Maybe sheep_herder could send us some blood to put over our doorways.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Chris... said:

I asked her if she is going to wear protective gear. She said only if the patient has answered the questions that indicate that they could have been exposed

Is this because she was told to do it that way, she want's to do it that way, or that she can't do it the "correct" way because they don't have the proper supplies?

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

well, my husband just got home.  He has told me not to leave our home.  He is preparing for me to stay here for 45 days.  His place of work is already preparing for the worst.  He has plans that if we go on lockdown, he will be living at the hospital.  He is going to take the trailer and they have a zone where it can be parked.  He is getting propane filled, gas cans filled, truck filled.  He is putting plans together.

Meanwhile, my place of business had in person meetings this week.  I received an invite for one, yesterday, via email.  FUCKING IDIOTS!  

After my email yesterday, all they really did was put some info up for mental health resources, and some disclaimers about confusion of contagion. Like, basically things that dampen people's nerves.  It is my belief that they think I am over reacting.  This is clear to me now.  Lots of movement between buildings.  The disclaimer about "please reconsider foreign travel is still listed."  FUCK!  Borders are closed idiots.

Again, these nurses, doctors, grocery staff, and pharmacy people are heroes.  Not sure why we are not shutting down restaurants just yet.  

The problem with your work place - among probably many - is that they are under some false assumption that we're in a very short term, business as usual event, when in reality, the ramp up to closings, restrictions, and even quarantines will get far worse before they ease.  So, rather than scale back now, they seem to be just running straight for the non-moving brick wall.  Stupid.

And you're hubby is correct to ask you to stop working. It isn't always easy to do that for couples, but it shows he is really concerned and willing to put you WAY AHEAD of $$$ or your job.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Is this because she was told to do it that way, she want's to do it that way, or that she can't do it the "correct" way because they don't have the proper supplies?

She was told by Marion VA hospital. They control her clinic