COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

22 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Don't forget to focus on the column 'Total Cases/ 1M pop"

That seems a poor stat if tracking hot spots.

Also, it can ONLY increase over time.  I like "rate of" sort of stats.  If the rates are trending down, that's good. Trending up, not so good.

Multiple hospitals in NYC are now reporting no ICU beds available.  Same hospitals also reporting no admission/no test policy for the virus.  Really, nobody knows how many cases are out there, but it has to be in the multiple hundreds of thousands in the US.

I am not touching ANYTHING!

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Don't forget to focus on the column 'Total Cases/ 1M pop"

Edit - USA 0.022% infection and 0.0003% deaths

So far so good -- but we've also taken huge steps in preventing this.  And when I say we, I refer to the whole world. Let's see if we can't keep these numbers low.

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

So, apparently 1% of Italy's positive cases died.  Yesterday.  In one day.  

Yikes!

Yeah. We need to keep ahead of the curve. I'm glad the stimulus package went through. The health and economy are not totally exclusive but without physical health the economic health means little. But to have people healthy with no means to provide for themselves is disasterous too. We may not have a death count (yet) but we have big expense on the healthcare side. A big toll there.

There are confirmed cases all around us and the potato heads I work with still think it will blow over in a week or two.

They are trying to divine how this will affect the contract we have coming up in August...

The company 'pod protocol' is pretty weak to start with, and these dickheads violate it constantly. There is no management oversight, those guys are staying well hidden and isolated.

I'm thankful for the paycheck, but dieing for it seems extreme     

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Maybe not proven, but I don’t think there are waves of reinfected people after their first illness. Although it’s said to be a fast-mutating virus, so we’ll see.

Actual CDC info says it's a very stable virus with virtually no mutations.  That's a good thing as any vaccine has a fixed, not moving target.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/relatively-stable-sars-cov-2-genome-is-good-news-for-a-vaccine-67319

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/25/820998549/the-coronavirus-is-mutating-but-that-may-not-be-a-problem-for-humans

So I guess it depends on what a reporter means by "stable" or "rapidly mutating".  

Still working 40+ hour weeks and I don’t have it that I know of. 
tomorrow I’m working in the morning and going to clock out early with some stupid excuse so I can hit the lake and go fishing with the kayak.

• Heart 1

Here's some good news for a change.  Duke University has tested out a method to recondition used N95 masks.  They have used this on other lab equipment and it works on masks just as well.  They hang the masks in a sealed room and use a mister to dispense a fog of hydrogen peroxide.

Yea.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Here's some good news for a change.  Duke University has tested out a method to recondition used N95 masks.  They have used this on other lab equipment and it works on masks just as well.  They hang the masks in a sealed room and use a mister to dispense a fog of hydrogen peroxide.

Yea.

I figured there had to be some way to sanitize those things.  Maybe even the UV light process will work?  Again, in a busy hospital, the easiest method is the best method - ie grabbing new masks, gloves, gowns, etc. as needed/recommended, but in a shortage situation, you do what you gotta do.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

@Dirtyhip should read this part about the masks

Are you suggesting that I mist mine with peroxide and water?

Not sure what to do with this data.  I am not going out.  Home is the safest place.  My husband went to gather food.  He is still out with the zombies.  He told me people were crwding him, so he put on a personal mask.  He said if he puts the mask in quarantine for a week, it should be fine to use again.  He is hopeing to get enough food for two weeks.  He doens't want to go out again.  

Luckily, he as a decent stack of N 95 from remodeling.  He will take them to work, if there is no relief with PPE.  

This is our life right now and it is insane.

Today, I have to go to work and collect mail to deliver.  Eeeks.  

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Are you suggesting that I mist mine with peroxide and water?

Not sure what to do with this data.  I am not going out.  Home is the safest place.  My husband went to gather food.  He is still out with the zombies.  He told me people were crwding him, so he put on a personal mask.  He said if he puts the mask in quarantine for a week, it should be fine to use again.  He is hopeing to get enough food for two weeks.  He doens't want to go out again.  

Luckily, he as a decent stack of N 95 from remodeling.  He will take them to work, if there is no relief with PPE.  

This is our life right now and it is insane.

Today, I have to go to work and collect mail to deliver.  Eeeks.  

I did not know if he was still working or not.  For those medical professionals including @Square Wheels their facilities might want to look into this information.  I'm not sure that you want to dilute with water nor do I know if it's a good idea to get the mask wet.  This is just a headline sort of news, not that actual procedure.

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I did not know if he was still working or not.  For those medical professionals including @Square Wheels their facilities might want to look into this information.  I'm not sure that you want to dilute with water nor do I know if it's a good idea to get the mask wet.  This is just a headline sort of news, not that actual procedure.

Not sure this would be helpful.  The masks are pretty thin.  This would have to be done in mass production.  I'd hate to get the former mask of a smoker.

Two of our fridges had mold in them.  We had to hire movers to take them offsite for H2O2 sterilization and then moved back.  Total bill was around 10 grand.

15 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Not sure this would be helpful.  The masks are pretty thin.  This would have to be done in mass production.  I'd hate to get the former mask of a smoker.

Two of our fridges had mold in them.  We had to hire movers to take them offsite for H2O2 sterilization and then moved back.  Total bill was around 10 grand.

I wonder if it would be better than a bandana as being worn in some hospitals.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Flatten the curve.

Our "curve" went from 80 to 124 in the last day.  That's clearly being bent the wrong direction. Hopefully, it is more tied to much greater testing.  Still, disproportionately affecting older folks - but again, they may jut be the ones getting tested and are slightly worse hit with symptoms so get tested more.

image.png.9e047b8f623a8d6ce0a66bb562ce2ec2.png

image.png.6eb0162c6d6de24681e08559d11f0189.png

Yesterday, my wife got a call from 2 women, looking for a priest to anoint their mother.  For the duration, the rule is no visitors, including clergy, unless they are actively dying and need to be anointed.  They weren't sure, she only had pnuemonia symptoms.  She sent a priest.

Today, the nes announced the first COVID19 death in our county.

Now the funeral.  Except, same rules, 10 people only, including ministers.  Unless they opt for cremation and a later service.

sucks

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

We got 6 quarts of hand sanitizer from Black Button distillery today. A craft place locally that has stopped making booze to make hand sanitizer. We were thankful. 

That's happening here, also. The product is not for sale, just donated to first responders, etc.

• Heart 2

Out of curiosity, how isolated is everyone right now?
1 - Not at all. Living normal.
2 - Being more cautious. But still going out.
3 - Going out as needed, mostly working from home, still seeing friends and family.
4 - Very limited, only going out when unavoidable. Careful contact with people
5 - Full lockdown. No one in or out.

35 minutes ago, Allen said:

Out of curiosity, how isolated is everyone right now?
1 - Not at all. Living normal.
2 - Being more cautious. But still going out.
3 - Going out as needed, mostly working from home, still seeing friends and family.
4 - Very limited, only going out when unavoidable. Careful contact with people
5 - Full lockdown. No one in or out.