COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

7 hours ago, Allen said:

From my mayor because of this block party: 

Many have seen the disappointing actions of party-goers last night in Monroe. As you know, your Council and I take our jobs very seriously with the #1 concern being protecting your freedoms. Many, earlier in the week, hoped Council would institute a curfew or even go to an outright order to, "shelter in place". Our first concern was protecting your liberty. Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." HOWEVER, taking into consideration those who would use their liberty to the detriment of public safety (as shown last night), I am forced to take action for the safety of our entire town to limit the potential spread of COVID-19. Immediately, per Executive Order, the city of Monroe is in a state of emergency. All public gatherings will be limited to 10 or fewer people. Our police force will be responsible to take necessary measures to ensure the safety of our citizens.

• Heart 3

Made it to Costco. Organized pretty well but not perfect and chances occur but I did wear gloves while in the store and tried to keep my distance but if that's chit is airborne, meh, not much I can do. But went to some coffee huts and a drive-in. If junior is a transmitter and he/she was careless and you know that to be true, then, well it's possible. Also stopped by Lowe's and bought some firewood and moss kill. But I sanitized my hands after I took the gloves off.  Every time.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Allen said:

From my mayor because of this block party: 

Many have seen the disappointing actions of party-goers last night in Monroe. As you know, your Council and I take our jobs very seriously with the #1 concern being protecting your freedoms. Many, earlier in the week, hoped Council would institute a curfew or even go to an outright order to, "shelter in place". Our first concern was protecting your liberty. Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." HOWEVER, taking into consideration those who would use their liberty to the detriment of public safety (as shown last night), I am forced to take action for the safety of our entire town to limit the potential spread of COVID-19. Immediately, per Executive Order, the city of Monroe is in a state of emergency. All public gatherings will be limited to 10 or fewer people. Our police force will be responsible to take necessary measures to ensure the safety of our citizens.

It's a start.

10 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Made it to Costco. Organized pretty well but not perfect and chances occur but I did wear gloves while in the store and tried to keep my distance but if that's chit is airborne, meh, not much I can do. But went to some coffee huts and a drive-in. If junior is a transmitter and he/she was careless and you know that to be true, then, well it's possible. Also stopped by Lowe's and bought some firewood and moss kill. But I sanitized my hands after I took the gloves off.  Every time.

Well done.  Good social distancing.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Well done.  Good social distancing.

I had to get out for necessities. The stop at Lowe's was the only questionable thing and I kept my distance and practiced proper hygene. The drive thru is the unknown but it was cooked... so there's that. First time I was out in 10 days.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I had to get out. The stop at Lowe's was the only questionable thing and I kept my distance and practiced proper hygene. The drive thru is the unknown but it was cooked... so there's that. First time I was out in 10 days.

Mask up and gloves next time. 

On 3/27/2020 at 2:03 PM, Razors Edge said:

Our "curve" went from 80 to 124 in the last day.  That's clearly being bent the wrong direction. Hopefully, it is more tied to much greater testing.  Still, disproportionately affecting older folks - but again, they may jut be the ones getting tested and are slightly worse hit with symptoms so get tested more.

image.png.9e047b8f623a8d6ce0a66bb562ce2ec2.png

image.png.6eb0162c6d6de24681e08559d11f0189.png

Not as bad as the day before, but a second death :(

image.png.ad3c73f13f53509bf7659215bea61e1b.png

We added 2 here.  There will be more.  My husband says that our location is lagged by at least 2-3 weeks.  My concern is how stupid people are here.  

My Grandmother had a saying "When God was handing out brains, they thought he said rains.  They ran to grab an umbrella."  HAHA.  She had a lot of funny god sayings.  

• Heart 1

Ran out for a grocery run yesterday.  Stores here now are limiting number of people inside.  The longest I had to wait was maybe 20 minutes.  Everyone kept their spacing in line.   The crazies have stopped so there was some tp on the shelves, but rices and canned foods were still low.

One store even put arrows down and turned their aisles into one way streets to avoid meeting people half way down.  People still stood in the middle of the aisle and poked along.  I passed a couple.  Most stores here now have an hour in the morning for seniors and those who have compromised immune systems.  

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Ran out for a grocery run yesterday.  Stores here now are limiting number of people inside.  The longest I had to wait was maybe 20 minutes.  Everyone kept their spacing in line.   The crazies have stopped so there was some tp on the shelves, but rices and canned foods were still low.

One store even put arrows down and turned their aisles into one way streets to avoid meeting people half way down.  People still stood in the middle of the aisle and poked along.  I passed a couple.  Most stores here now have an hour in the morning for seniors and those who have compromised immune systems.  

Yeah, they've been doing that at Costco for awhile.  People are doing much better but many times it was 3-4 feet and not 6 feet.

Where do you live @Zephyr?  What island town?

So what are the critical signs?

If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:

• Trouble breathing
  • Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
  • New confusion or inability to arouse
  • Bluish lips or face

*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.

This is the best article on the covid-19 targets on who and why that I've read.  Data is still coming in but this does a very good job of describing the trends.  Basically, if you're an older male w/ a compromised immune system  like @Wilbur or heart disease  @Dottles or diabetes @MickinMD, you've got big concerns.

Preexisting health problems also can increase risk of infection, such as people who have weak immune systems including from cancer treatment.

Other countries now are seeing how pre-pandemic health plays a role, and more such threats are likely to be discovered. Italy reported that of the first nine people younger than 40 who died of COVID-19, seven were confirmed to have “grave pathologies” such as heart disease.

The more health problems, the worse they fare. Italy also reports about half of people who died with COVID-19 had three or more underlying conditions, while just 2% of deaths were in people with no preexisting ailments.

Heart disease is a very broad term, but so far it looks like those most at risk have significant cardiovascular diseases such as congestive heart failure or severely stiffened and clogged arteries, said Dr. Trish Perl, infectious disease chief at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Any sort of infection tends to make diabetes harder to control, but it’s not clear why diabetics appear to be at particular risk with COVID-19.

Risks in the less healthy may have something to do with how they hold up if their immune systems overreact to the virus. Patients who die often seemed to have been improving after a week or so only to suddenly deteriorate — experiencing organ-damaging inflammation.

As for preexisting lung problems, “this is really happening in people who have less lung capacity,” Perl said, because of diseases such as COPD -- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- or cystic fibrosis.

Asthma also is on the worry list. No one really knows about the risk from very mild asthma, although even routine respiratory infections often leave patients using their inhalers more often and they’ll need monitoring with COVID-19, she said. What about a prior bout of pneumonia? Unless it was severe enough to put you on a ventilator, that alone shouldn’t have caused any significant lingering damage, she said.

https://apnews.com/4310cabee8397f9af442660b37f430e4

19 hours ago, Further said:

Ya know, flattening the curve, just means delaying the inevitable...

But there may be a vaccine, or better treatment

So flatten that curve  

Flattening the curve also keeps death rates at 2%, instead of 5% or higher when medical resources are exceeded. So even without a cure or vaccine, it does change the outcome of a lot of people.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

This is why I am doing my best to minimize exposure.  Back in January, when China started to become clean on this, my respirologist said "  This is something you need to avoid. I doubt you would survive it."  Yet, the gates to the country were kept open... 

Not only open, but there was the usual clamor to bring our citizens home.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This is why I am doing my best to minimize exposure.  Back in January, when China started to become clean on this, my respirologist said "  This is something you need to avoid. I doubt you would survive it."  Yet, the gates to the country were kept open... 

Yep.  I have CVD and sometimes a slight shortness of breath.  I'm taking it seriously.

• Heart 1

If you read an article about the cops breaking up a 47-person party in a 1BR apartment in Jersey - that is my township. Idiots. 

I hope you all are staying physically and mentally healthy. For me, i really don't have a big problem with being told to stay home. But we'll need provisions by the end of this week. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

If you read an article about the cops breaking up a 47-person party in a 1BR apartment in Jersey - that is my township. Idiots. 

I hope you all are staying physically and mentally healthy. For me, i really don't have a big problem with being told to stay home. But we'll need provisions by the end of this week. 

Good to hear from you, Trenton!

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, UglyBob said:

Just read that John Prine is in the hospital with this wretched curse. He's in critical condition. This saddens me. I've followed him since I first heard him sing "Sam Stone" one night on TV back in the very early '70s.

Yes, that's a tough one. He's got a lot of great songs but Sam Stone always stops me in my tracks. Hope he recovers because he can probably write some great songs about it. 

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, UglyBob said:

Just read that John Prine is in the hospital with this wretched curse. He's in critical condition. This saddens me. I've followed him since I first heard him sing "Sam Stone" one night on TV back in the very early '70s.

One unique characteristic of this illness is the number of well known people to have been diagnosed with it.  Famous people interact with more people so they have more opportunities to come in contact with someone who has it.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

One unique characteristic of this illness is the number of well known people to have been diagnosed with it.  Famous people interact with more people so they have more opportunities to come in contact with someone who has it.  

True, but when it's a sanitation worker, a car salesman, or the old guy that greets you a Walmart it doesn't make the news. For every celebrity we hear about there are thousands of everyday people like us affected. I feel for every one of those people as well.

Talked to my mom and dad last night, they are keeping pretty isolated.  Other than groceries and a short walk near their place for some air they are staying put.  This is hard on them as they are very active seniors and on the go all the time.  They said they do run out for groceries when they need to.  My sister happens to be their pharmacist so she looks after making sure they are have enough of what little meds they take.  I asked Mom if she was taking advantage of shopping the first hour every day which is limited to seniors, pregnant women and immune compromised people.  

She said no, she goes whenever she can and leaves that time for the old people. 

She is 84.  

• Heart 3