COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

They have refrigerator trucks at the morgues in NYC.

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Government asks military for 100,000 body bags

I was watching video of a body being lifted into a truck via forklift.  It appeared to be wrapped in a blanket that was dangling down.  My 1st thought was they need body bags...

1 hour ago, Mr. Silly said:

And which county is yours?

The three most populous counties in Washington state are east and adjacent to Puget Sound.  That would be (in no particular order) King County, Snohomish County and Pierce County. The covid-19 broke out in northern King and southern Snohomish counties initially.  I live in Snohomish county.

The more I read about this disease and the way it attacks the respiratory system, the more it scares me.  I have cardiovascular disease and some trouble catching my breath.  If I were to catch it, I'd be a damn good candidate to be a fatality.  I may just be in isolation from my peers for months.

• Sad 1

And if you didn't already know or believe it -- here it is.  Lot's of folks asymptomatic and carrying it to the vulnerable.  So that means I either don't have or I am an asymptomatic carrier. I will continue to stay home.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/half-people-coronavirus-have-no-symptoms-data-show

Our county has the most cases in the state. This happened because nursing homes in a couple of surrounding counties had outbreaks. We aren't even close to hitting capacity in beds, etc. I saw a projection from Univ of Washington today saying our state could peak on April 8. The governor has put an additional push on to contain. 

Yesterday morning we were in the living room and we heard car horns honking. We looked out and saw one of those "birthday parades" like we've seen on TV. People hanging out the car windows with "Happy Birthday Mom-Mom" signs, balloons, etc.  "Mom-Mom" (who has moved into her family's home) was on the lawn, waving and smiling. How nice. 

Until the next time we looked out. At least a dozen people had gotten out of their cars and were standing around chatting, petting dogs, and within several feet of Mom-Mom. I know they couldn't resist the temptation to visit, but the whole point is you can't get Mom-Mom sick (she seems pretty frail).

The next time we looked out there were three police cars out there, and an officer was giving some people a talking-to -- at least that's what it looked like, though it's certainly likely they just know the family and wanted to share greetings. Still, after making the national news with that party a week or two ago I think our town's police are going to be aggressive. 

We did not rat them out - if we call the police on them out will be for one of their late night parties with the thumping dance music. 

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

And my small country town now has 4 confirmed cases and two deaths.  That implies that we probably have about a hundred unconfirmed cases.  Trips to the LGS now become more dangerous.

Mine has two deaths too, plus 20 confirmed cases. 

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

Our county has the most cases in the state. This happened because nursing homes in a couple of surrounding counties had outbreaks. We aren't even close to hitting capacity in beds, etc. I saw a projection from Univ of Washington today saying our state could peak on April 8. The governor has put an additional push on to contain. 

Don, are you in Washington state? Last I heard (or thought) you were in Ohio or something.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Tomorrow I start two weeks working in the office, then two weeks of working from home with my boss alternating home/office rolls with me.

If you're the only one in the office, that may not be so bad -- at all.  But the fact you need to man somebody at the office is a slight concern because to me that means you need somebody to interface with external customers?

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

If you're the only one in the office, that may not be so bad -- at all.  But the fact you need to man somebody at the office is a slight concern because to me that means you need somebody to interface with external customers?

It’s still 50% less exposure, and everyone I interact with has been screened for risk factors and had their temperatures checked coming into the building. 

Well, there's no season with this stuff.  In 3 months, we're up to over 10,000 deaths and this with attempt to isolate the general population from each other and it's still rising exponentially.  That's on pace to easily eclipse any flu numbers and I cringe to think of what it would be if we continued to allow dumbfuckery.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

The numbers were down over the weekend.

I've heard a few news people say that, but I wish they would more accurately report that the rate of increase in cases was slowing.  We don't need people (or leaders) deciding that's the "all clear" signal.

And there have been periodic dips, then right back up

The Chinese began to open up some of their restrictions.  For example, Whuhan is supposed to be officially released from lockdown on the 8th (part of our 7th).  They were removing barriers and other things over the weekend.  In other parts of the country, restrictions were lifted earlier.

They just announced that some restrictions are going to be put back in place as they have 49 new cases, all but one from those returning from outside of the lockdown areas.

The bottom line is that this won't be over because of a turndown in the rate of increase.  It will be over sometime after there are no new cases.  It seems that anything else is wildly optimistic.

57 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I wear a mask, along with my coworkers. I wish all visitors would be mandated to wear a mask, but they’re not. Maybe we don’t have adequate supplies for that, idk.

Staff have been wearing masks and attesting to our good health for a couple of weeks now.

Patients and what few visitors we'll allow in started wearing masks as of today.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Our pulp mill at the south end of town has ramped up to 24hr production of medical grade pulp to be shipped to the states for making masks and gowns.  Apparently it is highly sought after from here because of the mix of red cedar in it. 

But we're not going to send you any of the finished masks back.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A lifelong friend of mine just got out of hospital in London.  He took ill while there on business and just brushed the fatigue on jet-lag.  4 days later he was in hospital and on a ventilator for 10 days.  He is 62 but a lifetime competitive soccer player.  No other ailments.  He said he was convinced he wasn't going to survive it. 

Very glad your friend is recovering and out of the hospital, Wilbur.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Almost double in a week.  Not a super high number, but and adding 40 or so a day.

image.thumb.png.01b9e31cfa3500bc84fbd863a3816272.png

I wonder if the NYC scenario can play out in the sticks where you are.  I hope it doesn't, lotsa people are freaked and all the news that is coming out seems to confirm that there is decent reason for at least minor freakage here.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I wonder if the NYC scenario can play out in the sticks where you are.  I hope it doesn't, lotsa people are freaked and all the news that is coming out seems to confirm that there is decent reason for at least minor freakage here.

Density.  We don't have NYC density by any stretch. DC itself is getting his reasonably bad, since we definitely have the same international mixture that NYC sees with folks coming in and going out to all corners of the world regularly.

We'll see. Still on WFH until May at the earliest.