COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

22 hours ago, Wilbur said:

A lifelong friend of mine just got out of hospital in London.  He took ill while there on business and just brushed the fatigue on jet-lag.  4 days later he was in hospital and on a ventilator for 10 days.  He is 62 but a lifetime competitive soccer player.  No other ailments.  He said he was convinced he wasn't going to survive it. 

great to hear!  Apparently, not many people are making it once they go on ventilators.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Density.  We don't have NYC density by any stretch. DC itself is getting his reasonably bad, since we definitely have the same international mixture that NYC sees with folks coming in and going out to all corners of the world regularly.

We'll see. Still on WFH until May at the earliest.

I wonder how DC’s metro & NY subway has contributed to the spread?  LA has similar density in the downtown areas but a public transportation system that is for shit.  It’s a car community out here.  

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I wonder how DC’s metro & NY subway has contributed to the spread?  LA has similar density in the downtown areas but a public transportation system that is for shit.  It’s a car community out here.  

What I am worried about is that the lack of density in other areas only slows the progression.  I am guessing a degree of herd immunity will hit first in densely packed areas.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

RG seemed reasonably okay riding the NYC metro. I know they reduced greatly the DC Metro schedule (fewer riders) and increased cleaning.  I still can't imagine it is really too easy to clean a Metro car fully.  Too many different places for germs to hide and grow.

4 hours ago, Allen said:

Eye opening. What we don't have and would be nice to have are those requiring ventilators, who didn't get one, and who died. If they all died, then those with ventilators had a better percentage of living even with dismal numbers. Conversely if the survival rate was the same then we would know it makes no diff. Either way if it attacks your lungs, your fucked. Which means me.

6 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Illinois peeps...  Here is the COVID 19 numbers by county or zip code.  

Maybe... they will improve the zip code list, at least to be in numerical order.  Or where you can type the zip code.   Zooming into you area is the easiest way to find your zip code.

My thought exactly on the search. At least the list by counties is in order. 

More deaths will be on the way, coming from the 'probable' deaths.  This seems better than waiting for only live patients to be admitted to the hospital to take a test.

----------------------

Death Count Expected To Soar As NYC Says It Will Begin Reporting Probable COVID Deaths In Addition To Confirmed Ones

BY GWYNNE HOGAN, WNYC
APRIL 8, 2020 5:30 A.M.
  12 COMMENTS
Paramedics place an empty collapsible wheeled stretcher into an ambulance after delivering a patient into the emergency room at NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital, in New York.
Paramedics place an empty collapsible wheeled stretcher into an ambulance after delivering a patient into the emergency room at NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital, in New York. MARY ALTAFFER/AP/SHUTTERSTOCK

New York City officials will begin to count suspected COVID-19 deaths of people who die at home following a WNYC/Gothamist report revealing a staggering number of such deaths that were not included in the official tally.

In a statement, Stephanie Buhle, a spokeswoman for New York City’s Health Department, said the city would no longer report only those cases that were confirmed by a laboratory test.

“The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) and the NYC Health Department are working together to include into their reports deaths that may be linked to COVID but not lab confirmed that occur at home,” she said. 

She didn’t say when the city would begin reporting suspected deaths along with the overall count. But the new protocol is likely to add thousands to the toll.

The announcement comes as New York City saw the largest single day of deaths so far from the COVID-19 pandemic — 727 people passed away in a 24-hour period. 

ADVERTISEMENT

But even that number failed to include many of the cases in which first responders encountered someone who had already died at home or other non-hospital settings. That happened 280 times on Monday, according to data from the Fire Department.

While not all of those deaths are necessarily caused by COVID-19, it’s a staggering increase over the average 25 home deaths the city usually saw on any given day before the pandemic swept the five boroughs.

A line graph that shows a sharp increase for late March to early April 2020 for 911 calls that involved someone dying, over the same period last year
The number of 911 calls that ended with someone dying were much higher for March 20-April 5, 2020 than the same period in 2019 JAKE DOBKIN / GOTHAMIST

Over the last two weeks, FDNY officials said 2,192 New York City residents died in their homes, compared to 453 during the same time period last year. On Tuesday evening, the city reported 3,544 people have died of coronavirus, as confirmed by lab tests. 

Earlier in the day, Mayor Bill de Blasio acknowledged that the vast majority of deaths taking place at home were likely also due to the virus, meaning the death toll could be as much as 70 percent higher than currently reported figures.

“We do want to know the truth about every death at home, but it’s safe to assume that the vast majority are coronavirus related,” he said. “That makes it even more sober, the sense of how many people we are losing.”

An FDNY paramedic who asked his name not be used because he wasn’t authorized to speak to reporters said he’s watched a dramatic shift over the past three weeks. First, he was called to attend to people with mild symptoms and anxiety about being sick; the second week, it was critically ill patients who were rushed to the hospital. 

“This week it went from critical patients, to just cardiac arrests all over the place,” he said. “We get there and the family’s telling us, ‘We went to the hospital five days ago and they discharged us’ or ‘We stayed home. We called our doctor. We called 311, a tele-doc gave us a prescription for a Z-pack this morning.’ And now they’re dying.”

The paramedic called the situation demoralizing. He spoke to WNYC/Gothamist while waiting for police officers to respond to the scene of one home death in Brooklyn on Tuesday morning.

“What we’re seeing now is people literally dropping dead at home” he said. “Nothing we do helps.”

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Allen said:

For me it's been weird watching it spread.  What first started out here has caught wildfire everywhere else in the country and gotten a lot uglier. 

8 minutes ago, Allen said:

I wish I had hoarded now. I have no wish to go out at all. 

I like the idea of cutting back on the probabilities.  A lot.  But just make it a point to keep your distance if you do... which means you might need to wait 5 minutes for the bread aisle to clear out.  Oh wait.  You make your bread.  Ok, it might take that long for the beer asle to clear out. Unfortunately, the incubation on this thing is 2-14 days with the most common occurrence around day 5.  So when go to the store, buy a lot of cereal and oatmilk or nutmilk or whatever (so it doesn't perish as fast) so you won't have to go back as often and know you'll probably be good for at least another 5 days. 

Comforting, isn't it?

21 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

How the times have changed...   

There has been a lot of talk about these.  It has been suggested that everyone wear some sort of mask to protect others to prevent droplets going into the air.  This is not happening on a wide scale.  Some either refuse or think it is stupid.  

So, yesterday, I had to go to the Post office for work reasons.  I wore my cloth mask.  My husband was very upset with me.  He specifically told me to wear the construction N95 that he left in the house for me.  He said at this point, I should be wearing it in public places.  We found a good size package of N95 that we got from Home Depot.  All of them, but two went to the hospital.  We are not greedy.  We are not hoarding.  I understand the N95s are in low supply.  There is lots of news stuff about how we should not be wearing N95s, because those are for medical personnel only.  But, if no one is following protocol, am I supposed to risk my life when I have to go out for work?  This whole thing is a fucking mess.  I don't think I should be made to feel guilty for keeping two masks that we bought ten years ago, when the rest went to the hospital. 

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Hmm, here are numbers that NYS are reporting for just the state that don't really show a leveling off, yet:

Total Positive Cases by NYC & Downstate NY Counties.png

Because there wasn’t much of a regional  coordinated response, let alone a national one, there will be a lot of regional variation. PA is now about 16,500 cases, even though my county which set up restrictions early, has reduced new cases to less than 40 a day most days this past week. New cases are suggested to peak for the state in a week, assuming continued full restrictions are maintained. The death counts will lag, though.

9 minutes ago, Allen said:

Monroe, GA

That's not what the experts are saying:

Nestled in the Alcovy River basin between the urban sprawl of Atlanta and classic Athens, Monroe offers the best of both worlds. Our rich history draws visitors to Monroe; our small town atmosphere, engaging cultural life, and high tech capabilities entice them to stay. Monroe's colorful history is typified by ante-bellum homes, historic downtown, and venerable government buildings. Monroe's future is exemplified by intermingling these historic areas with planned residential growth and high-tech industries

There are few cities that offer as much entertainment, excitement and diversity as do the attractions in our city. For years, many visitors have portrayed our city as the perfect place for visiting historic sites, shopping, dining, and strolling the streets of a beautiful downtown.

Our convenient location in the middle of Georgia's historic heartland makes visiting Downtown Monroe a great day trip or relaxing weekend destination. The City of Monroe offers many events and activities throughout the year, including festivals, concerts, parades, and marathons.

The growth and prosperity that Monroe enjoys can be attributed to the innovative and progressive thinking of its community leaders. Using a 100% Freeport exemption and our idyllic location astride Georgia Highway 138 & U.S. Highway 78, the community leaders of Monroe have garnered the interest of businesses seeking new locations and opportunities in Georgia. Once these businesses are captivated by our location and amenities, government and community leaders work cooperatively with the Chamber of Commerce and the Downtown Development Authority in an effort to draw these new industries to our area.

19 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

There has been a lot of talk about these.  It has been suggested that everyone wear some sort of mask to protect others to prevent droplets going into the air.  This is not happening on a wide scale.  Some either refuse or think it is stupid.  

So, yesterday, I had to go to the Post office for work reasons.  I wore my cloth mask.  My husband was very upset with me.  He specifically told me to wear the construction N95 that he left in the house for me.  He said at this point, I should be wearing it in public places.  We found a good size package of N95 that we got from Home Depot.  All of them, but two went to the hospital.  We are not greedy.  We are not hoarding.  I understand the N95s are in low supply.  There is lots of news stuff about how we should not be wearing N95s, because those are for medical personnel only.  But, if no one is following protocol, am I supposed to risk my life when I have to go out for work?  This whole thing is a fucking mess.  I don't think I should be made to feel guilty for keeping two masks that we bought ten years ago, when the rest went to the hospital. 

I was in the same boat when I realized I owned a N95 mask but had worn it. We have exactly 2 and we decided to keep them for ourselves... though we may give one away. The problem with masks anyway is if you don't put them on and off correctly, e.g. don't touch them, then covid can easily be spread to your hands then face and they give a false sense of security. 6 feet separation and disinfect your mask when done using it.

52 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I was in the same boat when I realized I owned a N95 mask but had worn it. We have exactly 2 and we decided to keep them for ourselves... though we may give one away. The problem with masks anyway is if you don't put them on and off correctly, e.g. don't touch them, then covid can easily be spread to your hands then face and they give a false sense of security. 6 feet separation and disinfect your mask when done using it.

I use tupperware.  Only touching the bands to put it on and off.  Put the tupperware over your face and keep the bands on the outside of the container with a lid.  When done, the mask goes back into the tupperware.  My husband taught me this trick.  I feel very safe doing it this way and knowing how to act in public places right now.  

My current mask was from fire season a couple of years ago.  Glad we held onto it.  Also, glad that we found a pack of construction masks for the hospital.  Crazy times right now.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

That's not what the experts are saying:

Nestled in the Alcovy River basin between the urban sprawl of Atlanta and classic Athens, Monroe offers the best of both worlds. Our rich history draws visitors to Monroe; our small town atmosphere, engaging cultural life, and high tech capabilities entice them to stay. Monroe's colorful history is typified by ante-bellum homes, historic downtown, and venerable government buildings. Monroe's future is exemplified by intermingling these historic areas with planned residential growth and high-tech industries

There are few cities that offer as much entertainment, excitement and diversity as do the attractions in our city. For years, many visitors have portrayed our city as the perfect place for visiting historic sites, shopping, dining, and strolling the streets of a beautiful downtown.

Our convenient location in the middle of Georgia's historic heartland makes visiting Downtown Monroe a great day trip or relaxing weekend destination. The City of Monroe offers many events and activities throughout the year, including festivals, concerts, parades, and marathons.

The growth and prosperity that Monroe enjoys can be attributed to the innovative and progressive thinking of its community leaders. Using a 100% Freeport exemption and our idyllic location astride Georgia Highway 138 & U.S. Highway 78, the community leaders of Monroe have garnered the interest of businesses seeking new locations and opportunities in Georgia. Once these businesses are captivated by our location and amenities, government and community leaders work cooperatively with the Chamber of Commerce and the Downtown Development Authority in an effort to draw these new industries to our area.

Communications majors wrote that.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Part of my ancillary duties is management of the AED’s & 1st aid boxes.  My contact from Cintas, my vendor who fills the boxes gave me a N95 mask.  I haven’t used it and surprisingly can’t give it away as nobody wants it?!?!

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I use tupperware.  Only touching the bands to put it on and off.  Put the tupperware over your face and keep the bands on the outside of the container with a lid.  When done, the mask goes back into the tupperware.  My husband taught me this trick.  I feel very safe doing it this way and knowing how to act in public places right now.  

My current mask was from fire season a couple of years ago.  Glad we held onto it.  Also, glad that we found a pack of construction masks for the hospital.  Crazy times right now.

It's a good trick.  The only place I need it is in my car when I'm out and about.  But that's been kept to a minimum these days. But it's a good idea.  My wife gave the instructions on how to take off rubber gloves after use so I feel good about that.  All these things cut down on probabilities.  If I didn't touch my face so much -- I'd be golden.  

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think @Indyhas volunteered to redistribute masks?

Yeah, I keep reading post of nursing and retirement homes around here are desperate for anything they can get and they are starting to get hit hard with this lately.

24 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Meh, masks do nothing. 

I generally agree, but they want them and are stuck in constant close proximity, plus are the high risk group so I can understand them in that situation wanting to try everything possible.