COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

Don't fuck around in a hotspot, your personal "rights" to infect everyone else don't mean shit in some places.

Viral video shows Staten Island store mob screaming at woman without mask

May 25, 2020 | 5:35pm | Updated

A viral video shows a mob of Staten Island grocery store shoppers screaming at a customer who wasn’t wearing a mask.

The furious crowd yelled, “Get out!,” “Get the f–k out of here!” and “You’re a loser, bro!” at the woman at the ShopRite, according to footage posted on Facebook on Saturday and later widely shared on Twitter and other online sites.

When a man yelled after the woman, “Dirty-ass pig!,” a female customer added, “Dirty,ass ho!”

One man pulled his mask down around his chin to yell at the lady.

“What happens in Staten Island when you don’t wear a mask at ShopRite!” Facebook poster Christine Lynn wrote above the footage on her page.

Lynn wrote that a friend had taken and sent her the video.

“I think video shows shameful humans at their finest,” Lynn said when responding to a comment.

The other person added, “Agreed. Working in a supermarket has shown me how ugly peoples can be.”

Lynn wrote, “I get ppl are anxious NO reason to act the way some of them are…especially guy following her to scream at her and call her a pig!”

When someone wrote, “Question! Why is everyone so angry??? The’re wearing masks after all, aren’t they safe???” Lynn replied, “they’re staten Islanders – this is how they act when they can! They were chasing her to yell at her – obviously not afraid of her!”

Someone wrote, “Same sh-t as the [local] stop and shop.”

Another person added, “this happen yesterday at my target neither were wearing masks though but one was mad the other wasn’t social distancing.”

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

Mom has a doctor's appointment today.  She's running a low grade fever.  My sister the epidemiologist, pretty much told her to get tested.  My sister also had a low grade fever this morning but it went away.

Hoping for the best. 

That's what happened a few weeks ago in the Food Lion supermarket where I like to shop because its never as crowded as those on the main highway.

I was at the deli counter when I heard people screaming about 30 feet away just like the video posted here.  Same "Get the fuck out!" screams.

It was a guy without a mask who was wearing a jacket and holding the collar over his nose and mouth. But every time he'd speak to his friend, who had a mask, he'd drop the collar below his chin!

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

That's what happened a few weeks ago in the Food Lion supermarket where I like to shop because its never as crowded as those on the main highway.

I was at the deli counter when I heard people screaming about 30 feet away just like the video posted here.  Same "Get the fuck out!" screams.

It was a guy without a mask who was wearing a jacket and holding the collar over his nose and mouth. But every time he'd speak to his friend, who had a mask, he'd drop the collar below his chin!

Total other way around down here. 25% mask use. 

There is no need to scream at a person if they aren't wearing a mask. 

Move away.  Just because you think you're right, doing the right thing, doesn't mean screaming out of nowhere to strangers.  Probably same accusing people who may also transgress in other areas of life and think it's a big joke.

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

There is no need to scream at a person if they aren't wearing a mask. 

I think there is in certain situations.  I can picture the scene.  A shopper says "Hey, you should probably wear a mask to protect everyone" and is seconded, perhaps someone offers a mask.  Then the woman says something stupid and people are nice for a bit, but it is discovered that she a dumb selfish bitch that needs to be screamed at so she knows her bullshit is not gonna fly.

There are incredibly stupid people everywhere, and not just in the south and the middle of the country.  If they aren't learning, then they need the help that only screaming can bring.

Seriously, people are generally low-life's in Staten Island, I wasn't kidding when I said that was the coolest thing I had ever seen or heard happening from SI.  It gives me a small amount of hope that they are evolving.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think there is in certain situations.  I can picture the scene.  A shopper says "Hey, you should probably wear a mask to protect everyone" and is seconded, perhaps someone offers a mask.  Then the woman says something stupid and people are nice for a bit, but it is discovered that she a dumb selfish bitch that needs to be screamed at so she knows her bullshit is not gonna fly.

There are incredibly stupid people everywhere, and not just in the south and the middle of the country.  If they aren't learning, then they need the help that only screaming can bring.

Seriously, people are generally low-life's in Staten Island, I wasn't kidding when I said that was the coolest thing I had ever seen or heard happening from SI.  It gives me a small amount of hope that they are evolving.

Random I haven't worn a mask yet while shopping and I shop approx. 8-10 am when I do.  Store is quite quiet and not many people around.  

No, only about 20% people wearing masks at any time I'm in store.  I go to different stores.

Lots of rm. for social distancing and floor stenciled directions to walk down certain aisles in certain directions. Fine.

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Random I haven't worn a mask yet while shopping and I shop approx. 8-10 am when I do.  Store is quite quiet and not many people around.  

No, only about 20% people wearing masks at any time I'm in store.  I go to different stores.

Lots of rm. for social distancing and floor stenciled directions to walk down certain aisles in certain directions. Fine.

If you were in NYC, you would get screamed at if you refused to wear one while shopping.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Hard to believe how absolutely nasty people are getting this day and time. Sad to say this trend was beginning long before the pandemic set in.  Thank God, folks are still cordial and accepting in our area of the country.

Yep. I understand it but following folks around the store is very douchenozzle stuff.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

You realize the mask is not for you, but others around you like the employees of the store. You are there for a while, they are there for 8 hours. 

So if you have the virus and don't know it, you could be spreading it to others. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

It's similar to the asshat on the local news threatening anybody Asian and blaming them for the Rona virus. The American gal in the Thai restaurant was a little dumbfounded. I mean, you guys may not know this and I probably shouldn't tell you but I am responsible for consumer debt in this country. I'm white and have a house and car on loan.  Please don't bully me with your ignorance. I prefer being bullied when you're in the know.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Here it's required that you wear a mask to go into the store and highly recommended that you wear one while in the vicinity of others.  You would be asked by management not to go into the store and if you did anyway you probably would be hollered at.

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yep. I understand it but following folks around the store is very douchenozzle stuff.

That is the problem with the internet. I had typed this way before the post about your wife, but was sidelined and did not get it posted. Now it seems to have set you off in another direction. I was just addressing the plethora of hateful attitudes that seem to be prevalent in the USA.  I find it alarming.

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, dennis said:

You realize the mask is not for you, but others around you like the employees of the store. You are there for a while, they are there for 8 hours. 

So if you have the virus and don't know it, you could be spreading it to others. 

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Here it's required that you wear a mask to go into the store and highly recommended that you wear one while in the vicinity of others.  You would be asked by management not to go into the store and if you did anyway you probably would be hollered at.

It's not required ..it is advised.  the stores will limit people if it becomes full.

And people so far haven't yelled or anything like that.  No problem if people avoid me.  I don't talk hardly at all to the clerks.  

Social distancing is key.  I've worn my mask in taxi, transit and on the plane.  

Now dearie is pissed at me because I said to him that it's risky because his daughter is staying at a friend's place overnight..and then she's going to visit him in 2 days.  He's preparing her b-day dinner.  Let's see, they visit one another every 2 months or so.  He was offended, because he thought I was inferring she had bad judgement.  His daughter...is 40+ yrs. old.

What you do if you knew of family situation like that?

22 minutes ago, Dottles said:

My wife went into a fruit market and forgot her mask. She said some big, fat bull dyke followed her around the counters like she was going to kick her ass. So @shootingstar, it could be worse.

The last time I forgot my mask I drove home 6 miles to get it and then returned to the store.  Different strokes for different folks.  This is serious shit.

Is it time to do away with regional standards and adopt a single, unified national/international North American approach to public interactions during the pandemic? While it seems silly on the surface to compare urban Manhattan to rural Montana regarding risk of contagion, the new Covid hot spots are now increasingly rural in nature. And this will spark the next wave in cities near them. 

If people want the economy to come back full force with jobs for most, will they be willing to wear a mask at the grocery? Forgo parties at the lake? Do anything different?

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The last time I forgot my mask I drove home 6 miles to get it and then returned to the store.  Different strokes for different folks.  This is serious shit.

She works in healthcare and forgot her mask and didn't have time to turn around during lunch. I'm not saying social criticism of it wasn't warranted but stalking is taking it to a whole nutter level.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It's not required ..it is advised.  the stores will limit people if it becomes full.

And people so far haven't yelled or anything like that.  No problem if people avoid me.  I don't talk hardly at all to the clerks.  

Social distancing is key.  I've worn my mask in taxi, transit and on the plane.  

Now dearie is pissed at me because I said to him that it's risky because his daughter is staying at a friend's place overnight..and then she's going to visit him in 2 days.  He's preparing her b-day dinner.  Let's see, they visit one another every 2 months or so.  He was offended, because he thought I was inferring she had bad judgement.  His daughter...is 40+ yrs. old.

What you do if you knew of family situation like that?

It's not required here either. I wear one out of respect for the employees of the store. 

People seem to think it's all about them. It's about all of us.

You don't talk hardly at all to the clerks, but you talk to them. If you have the virus you could be spreading the virus. 

Jut my opinion based on the science of the day or the hour.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Isn’t that worse? Isn’t she the most likely infected but doesn’t-yet-know-it of anyone going into that store?

Oh I don't disagree! She said she won't make that mistake again. It turns out the big fat bull dyke accomplished her mission. I'm thinking all I have to do is dress up like a woman and I could have the same effect on people.

Actually, speech necessarily becomes shorthand after a while, and economy becomes increasingly important.  ‘Bull dyke’ denotes a whole slew of macro and micro characteristics, and is a perfectly acceptable description in many contexts.  Believe me, when you hear lesbians saying it descriptively, you realize it ain’t a thing that needs running away from. 

9 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Hard to believe how absolutely nasty people are getting this day and time. Sad to say this trend was beginning long before the pandemic set in.  Thank God, folks are still cordial and accepting in our area of the country.

People are fundamentally the same wherever you go.   You put Miles City people in Manhattan and a year later they are NYC people.  You can do the opposite and the calibration takes place as well.   Conditions are different.  

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

People are fundamentally the same wherever you go.   You put Miles City people in Manhattan and a year later they are NYC people.  You can do the opposite and the calibration takes place as well.   Conditions are different.  

The fact that New York City residents can recover when moved somewhere else does little other than to demonstrate the toxicity of New York City.

56 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The fact that New York City residents can recover when moved somewhere else does little other than to demonstrate the toxicity of New York City.

Your neighbors are exactly the same kind of people you find anywhere in the country, they just live in a different place.  Adaptation to place, context, local conditions is a valuable trait.  Of course, a small percentage of people can't figure out how to live in cities and so don't, the same way a percentage of people can't adapt to the country.  People are people.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Your neighbors are exactly the same kind of people you find anywhere in the country, they just live in a different place.  Adaptation to place, context, local conditions is a valuable trait.  Of course, a small percentage of people can't figure out how to live in cities and so don't, the same way a percentage of people can't adapt to the country.  People are people.

No they aren't.  Some people are jerks.

NYC - the hardest his location in the US and possibly the world - has had folks see friends and family members seriously ill or even die from COVID. Folks there KNOW the need for a mask, social distancing, and other general safeguards to follow for trying to prevent the spread of COVID.

I sort of feel like you would see a similar reaction in California or Colorado at a campsite following one of the massive wild fires if someone was standing around with random folks and flicked a cigarette butt into the bushes.  Maybe it would start a brush fire, maybe it wouldn't. But, WTF????

• Heart 2

Hurray, for Opening Up the State and Memorial Day Weekend at Ocean City!  It's keeping our Maryland hospital nurses collecting overtime!

Of course, you can't keep things locked up forever, but when Johns Hopkins experts are telling you seasonality is likely to drastically cut cases in a few weeks and Moderna, Oxford, and other vaccine developers are afraid there soon won't be enough cases occurring to really test the vaccine candidates, why not wait a few weeks?

image.png.a93be80ad1e37df9915bc7fb3b97e605.png image.png.f8c886255f8662784f71b281d8a4af02.png

The down-the-boardwalk picture was taken close to 9th St. looking south.  The crowds at Ocean City were sure to be the same in that direction down to at least 2nd St. and, looking north, for at least up to 18th St!  Note, by the way, that the water is extremely cold at this time of year because the Gulf Stream, coming up from the Gulf of Mexico, runs farther out to sea and the Labrador Current, coming down from Canada, predominates along the shore.  The summer season ends on Labor Day, after which prices drop significantly.  But, the water is nice and warm throughout September because the Gulf Stream has moved next to the shore then.  If I go to OCMD this year, it will be in September when, hopefully, active cases will be way down!

GettyImages-1214812747.jpg?fit=3982%2C2387 GettyImages-1214812758.jpg?fit=4668%2C3112