COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

42 minutes ago, Allen said:

One of the backwater evangelical churches has a group set up in front of the grocery store. One of them told me I don’t believe in god because I wear a mask. Pissed me off beyond belief.  

Interesting.  Masks aren't to protect us, they are to protect others.  Let's see, Who is it that told us to look out for others?

I wonder if God lets them take the seatbelts out of their cars, smoke, jump out of planes without parachutes.....

14 minutes ago, 12string said:

Interesting.  Masks aren't to protect us, they are to protect others.  Let's see, Who is it that told us to look out for others?

I wonder if God lets them take the seatbelts out of their cars, smoke, jump out of planes without parachutes.....

Just those using god to obfuscate their failings. 

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What evidence do you see to support this claim? Are rates dropping or rising in areas like NM and AZ? Did Covid not run rampant in Austraila in their Summer?

Mick understandably is clinging to hope -- more so then others -- and justifiably so I suspect. He's on hard times right now. Maybe he's that way he is normally. A lot of people are.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What evidence do you see to support this claim? Are rates dropping or rising in areas like NM and AZ? Did Covid not run rampant in Austraila in their Summer?

Mickin is a doctor, and I think he might have something. 

I think that by looking at behaviors, it may (I said MAY) be safer in the summer.  First, when people are together with others in a closed room, it is way worse than when they are dispersed as they would be outside.  Secondly, I have seen the articles where is it said (by scientists, not politicians) that direct sunlight does kill floating viral particles.  All or some, I can't remember.  Anyway, wasn't that the basis for the president's simple-minded ideas about intense blasts of light killing the virus in people?

Anyhow, even mask-wearing people will eventually congregate and touch things asymptomatic people will contaminate, best if it is dispersed and outdoors.

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health:

https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-covid-19-go-away-on-its-own-in-warmer-weather/

coronavirus_2019-850x450.jpg

BOOO! Stop with the "experts" and the "science"!!!!  Admit it - you are just scared. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Executive order today in NY state:  Businesses may legally require masks to be worn in those businesses and legally deny service to anyone not wearing masks.  

We've been that way for about a month now in MI.  The only place I go that denies access is Menards.  The LGS (Meijers) on Sunday was 95% masks.  My other regular stop is a gas station convenience store in the morning for coffee and that appears to be hit or miss but they don't deny service - even though the sign on the door says a mask is required.

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

gas station convenience store

On a ride a couple weeks ago, I stopped in for a water fill up at a country store, and the sign said "10 customers max", but it would be pretty tough to gauge how many are in and out at one time, and the clerks - behind newly installed plexiglass - weren't inclined to check or enforce it.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

They furloughing us 1 day a week for the next 20 weeks.  I can get unemployment for the day I lose plus I am eligible for the $600/week unemployment subsidy. 

I'll be making more money working 4 days a week that I was working 5.  :hapydance:

WOOT WOOT! 

I'm not jealous, but I'm liking the way Mr Grumpy is about to become Daddy Warbucks!

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

On a ride a couple weeks ago, I stopped in for a water fill up at a country store, and the sign said "10 customers max", but it would be pretty tough to gauge how many are in and out at one time, and the clerks - behind newly installed plexiglass - weren't inclined to check or enforce it.

I was booted out of a Qdoba last week because I was number 6 in a 5 max store.

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Uh, seems Qdoba - if they are following the rules - ought to consider not letting you in until there was room for you!  WTF???

I think there was a sign on the door that got misplaced.  I was 5 steps in the door and the lady at the cash register asked me to wait outside.  They were doing their job.

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Allen said:

Ace Hardware in Social Circle keeps a kid at the door with a clicker. They are the only store I’ve gone to that is doing that. 

I've seen a couple store with clicker people.  The ones I saw have multiple entrances so I hope the peeps were on the same app.  I saw them counting but I'm not sure they had accurate numbers.  The traffic volume was pretty high every time I saw it.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My large supermarket does this and the lady with the clicker also prewashes the cart handles.

One of our supermarkets taped off one of two entrances, for reasons I don’t understand. Still no masks on employees in either joint, so I’m shopping in Athens at Trader Joe’s. They have a clicker and masks. Food costs more and it takes a whole lot more gas, but psychologically the store feels that much cleaner. 

37 minutes ago, Allen said:

One of our supermarkets taped off one of two entrances, for reasons I don’t understand. Still no masks on employees in either joint, so I’m shopping in Athens at Trader Joe’s. They have a clicker and masks. Food costs more and it takes a whole lot more gas, but psychologically the store feels that much cleaner. 

Probably like mine, access through one door only so the count is accurate.

10 hours ago, Allen said:

We’ve jumped up a lot. Up to 246 cases, forty or so in a week. And 79 cases in the nursing home. 
Hospitalizations have near doubled in a week too. 46.  

Your state is one to watch. It's heading up -- but it's the exponential thing you want to avoid.  And unfortunately I think that's going to be how it works out.  I hope not but that's not how these things work.

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

Your state is one to watch. It's heading up -- but it's the exponential thing you want to avoid.  And unfortunately I think that's going to be how it works out.  I hope not but that's not how these things work.

I’m worried about the hospital. We only have 77 beds total. More than half are civid patients now. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I've seen a couple store with clicker people.  The ones I saw have multiple entrances so I hope the peeps were on the same app.  I saw them counting but I'm not sure they had accurate numbers.  The traffic volume was pretty high every time I saw it.

Some stores are using the anti-shoplifting antennas reprogrammed to use the count of people coming and going to flash go/no go lights for traffic control

• Heart 2

Today was the first day I could go and get a 'legal' haircut.   The wait time for one place (looked on line) was almost 2 hours.  I'm not going to wait for 2 hours.  :(   I guess I'll just skip it for a while more...

My last hair cut was on 2/7.   Our lock down started on 3/20.   I was past due for a hair cut in early April.

Our Walmart has people counting people in & out. A lot of people wearing masks around their chins.

Work is cracking down, they gave a guy 3 days off for not wearing a mask. Made everyone sign a safety stand down that says masks will be worn at all times other than while eating and drinking. And stay 6 feet apart.

This proves you don't want to be old (or have 'other' conditions which seem to be more common when you are old) and get COVID 19.   I used the IL COVID 19 data and some census data.

The only thing I didn't look for was an estimate of the actual number of people that were/are infected.  Confirmed cases is just the number people who got tested and were positive.  How many were never tested and have/had the virus?

image.png.b9728582018640dc445569346b1670b7.png

image.png.c8a1976a20c747928229d284bc76d442.png

11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

This proves you don't want to be old (or have 'other' conditions which seem to be more common when you are old) and get COVID 19.   I used the IL COVID 19 data and some census data.

The only thing I didn't look for was an estimate of the actual number of people that were/are infected.  Confirmed cases is just the number people who got tested and were positive.  How many were never tested and have/had the virus?

image.png.b9728582018640dc445569346b1670b7.png

image.png.c8a1976a20c747928229d284bc76d442.png

It looks like if a person doesn't know their age, there is no problem with the disease.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Those are our parents and grandparents in those nursing homes.

That's correct...   

I'm thinking the big problem is COVID-19 can be spread by asymptomatic individuals   Our state locked down nursing homes, no visitors, since sometime in mid March.   But that didn't stop the staff, nurses, doctors, delivery people, maintenance people, etc...  from visiting.  That combined with the population that all have underlying condition(s) (some may have more than 1 problem) is not good.

It just seems like we got this so wrong...  and many people died.   Nursing Homes & Assisted Living Facilities Account for 42% of COVID-19 Deaths

image.png.80edbce6bf14dda64b76cf90dbd7d03d.png

In the article with the link above, they have some suggestions in the text for another article (link here) about what could be done to help protect the most vulnerable people from COVID 19.   Who knows.. if their ideas could work or not.   We already know what doesn't work....

7 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

It looks like the Supreme Court doesn't think the restrictions are unconstitutional.  

And that answers that unless folks clamoring for the constitution decide to reject the constitution because it's not their brand of constitution.  I notice there isn't ONE word about it on Fox News.  Shocker.  Fair and balanced.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/05/30/supreme-court-wont-force-states-to-reopen-churches/#502a44957884

My feeling, with the graph above, is that it would be much more useful if each bar was two pieces - total new case tests that day and new cases that day.  It would highlight either the growing testing with reduced "positive" cases, or highlight the lack of much testing (either by total count or by %positive/test).