COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My feeling, with the graph above, is that it would be much more useful if each bar was two pieces - total new case tests that day and new cases that day.  It would highlight either the growing testing with reduced "positive" cases, or highlight the lack of much testing (either by total count or by %positive/test).

I wish we had any kind of graph. Or understandable numbers of any source. Our nursing home deaths out number our total deaths in my county. I don’t think they are totaled with the county deaths, I’m not sure that the nursing home’s infection rate is counted as part of the county total either. 

Allegheny County where I live is down to 8 new cases/day, total of 1919. We go green on Friday. Erie County, where my sailboat is, has been green for a week. They’re up to 16 new cases today, 295 total.

I fear the general sense is that green means all good, and people aren’t going to follow the recommendations any more, and we’ll just swing back and forth between case surges and restrictions and back.

Just now, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

Next summer, I want another boat ride. 

Mudkipz 

Of course. Maybe with some wind this time.

I’d love to sail myself this summer, but I don’t feel good about it. No one is social distancing, no masks being used at the club. I guess I could just stay on the boat with no socialization and just sail, but that’s a better way to lose friends than just not going for awhile. So I think I will just stay away for a bit.

30 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I fear the general sense is that green means all good, and people aren’t going to follow the recommendations any more, and we’ll just swing back and forth between case surges and restrictions and back.

Green might be relative in that hospitals and healthcare workers might not be overwhelmed or caught unawares by any new outbreak???? In other words, hotspots in smaller cities and especially in more rural areas might be deadly, but not in the way the outbreak in NYC was. 

My big hope (dream?) is that nursing homes or senior living situations have LEARNED and become proactive to COVID, and have used the past several months to create policies preventing a big outbreak and to contain any ones that do occur.  Wishful thinking? Probably :(

On 5/15/2020 at 12:03 PM, Razors Edge said:

11 days later, and a 2,500 more cases (50% increase), a reduction in the new cases(!), but 76 more deaths (7 a day and a 33% increase in total). I'd say we're doing more testing, but the rate of deaths per day and rate of new cases going down are definitely positive changes.

image.png.5e3947f384e884258da24cec1c079892.png

So, a couple weeks later and we added ~4,000 cases and 121 more deaths.  Significantly few new cases, and hospitalization rate is dropping from 14% down to under 12%, so that likely shows greater testing beyond emergency room cases.  My specific zip code is at 183 total cases, but I can see the deaths.  We do have a senior living center in our zip, so not sure how that has been hit. Plus, our area is popular with older empty nesters, so we likely have an at risk (age-wise) population, but also likely low risk in many other demographic risk factors.

image.png.6f5aac5cc51ba3825ce00d3882b2002b.png

33 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

And updated chart from Michigan cases per day.  The blue line is a 7 day soothing and the orange line is a 3 day smoothing.  Day 1 is March 23rd and day 71 is June 1st.

image.png.b1e261b87002093e6454c571ba1b8e29.png

Looks like all that lack of freedom actually does work, eh?  I hope it stays that way so Ohio State can beat you guys in football again in the fall.

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Are you back to your January values? I was -17.5% for the year in April, but now essentially 0%, as my total is my January value + new cash contributions to date. 

I haven't looked but stocks seem to be holding these days and the economy is picking up.  Just in time for another covid resurgence.  

Arkansas 375 new cases, more hospitalizations then any other time during the virus

Arizona 1,127 new cases, the highest single day total for the state

Texas 1,000+ new cases 6 out of the last 7 days

And that's just a couple of weeks after Memorial Day.  Wait till the protest surge hits.

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Arkansas 375 new cases, more hospitalizations then any other time during the virus

And that's just a couple of weeks after Memorial Day.  Wait till the protest surge hits.

Yep.  Remember all those goons loading the pool in Missouri?  I just read somewhere that at least one of them has covid and there were hundreds at the pool.  

10 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

gee who could have seen this coming?

Lockdowns this fall will not be fun.

6 minutes ago, Further said:

The bullshit on the street is that since we didn't get hit hard by the virus we didn't need the restrictions. The idea that we didn't get hit hard might be because of the restrictions doesn't seem to occur them

I think the verdict is still out on how things play out with our balance of restrictions.  Regardless of restrictions, density or high vulnerability are the real big things to consider with this thing. These latest returns "to normal" and the mostly city centered protests marches (and stupidity with the riots), will show how much - again - density plays a part in another wave versus the "normal" activities in less dense areas.  I'm guessing the denser the area, the worse the 2nd wave, and folks can be both right and wrong about what works at the same time, since what works in NYC is unnecessary in Emporia, KS.

Our cases are rising pretty quickly now

Cases – 288 – That is 16 more cases in the last 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 300.9
Total deaths – 15 – that’s no more cases in the next 24 hours
Hospitalized – 51 – that’s two more in the last 24 hours

And most of the residents in the nursing home have tested positive. 89 cases out of 124 residents with 18 deaths. 

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2020 at 12:25 PM, Mr. Grumpy said:

They furloughing us 1 day a week for the next 20 weeks.  I can get unemployment for the day I lose

As it should be.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:25 PM, Mr. Grumpy said:

plus I am eligible for the $600/week unemployment subsidy. 

I'll be making more money working 4 days a week that I was working 5.  :hapydance:

This is stupid and should never happen. 

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Further said:

The bullshit on the street is that since we didn't get hit hard by the virus we didn't need the restrictions. The idea that we didn't get hit hard might be because of the restrictions doesn't seem to occur them

I hear the voices:  "Not my problem.  It's not going to happen to me."

New cases of the novel coronavirus are rising faster than ever worldwide, at a rate of more than 100,000 a day over a seven-day average.

In April, new cases never topped 100,000 in one day, but since May 21, there have only been less than 100,000 on five days, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Newly reported cases reached a high of 130,400 on June 3.
The increase in case rates may be partially explained by increases in testing capacity, but there's still not enough testing to capture an accurate picture in many countries.

"The Americas continues to account for the most cases. For several weeks, the number of cases reported each day in the Americas has been more than the rest of the world put together," said World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday.

"We are especially worried about Central and South America, where many countries are witnessing accelerating epidemics."
Dr. Mike Ryan, WHO executive director of Health Emergencies Program, said he did not think Central and South America had reached their peak in transmission.
The share of global deaths is also still rising in South America and the Caribbean.

Brazil recorded more than 30,000 new cases on Thursday, bringing it to almost 615,000 in total, along with 1,473 new deaths, taking its total fatalities to more than 34,000.
Its case numbers are second only to the US, where just under 1.9 million cases have been reported and 108,211 deaths. At its peak, the US was seeing an increase of more than 30,000 new cases a day; as of Friday it was registering about 21,000 news cases and 942 daily death per day over a seven-day average.

A number of countries that passed their initial peak -- such as South Korea, Germany and China -- have since seen new clusters of infections after restrictions on movement were eased, raising fears of a second wave.

The trend is looking good in Maryland, even after Memorial Day and Phase 1 and Phase 2 reopening of the state.  We may have a good July, Aug, and Sep, and then who knows what the Fall will bring.  The Oxford vaccine candidate is currently being tested on 10,000 volunteers and AstraZenica Pharceuticals says it will know by August if it works and can quickly produce 2 billion doses.

Even if it works, 27% of Americans said they definitely won't get vaccinated.  They'd rather believe virtually-uneducated celebrities telling them it's bad!  That's ok, that means a shorter line for me to get my shot and fewer people draining the Social Security Trust Fund and a resulting higher avg. IQ in the USA.

image.thumb.png.20c5a921b035a335ce8d1f877aafc191.png

image.png.0dd72212df68528bcafe21c26a58db1e.png

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The trend is looking good in Maryland, even after Memorial Day and Phase 1 and Phase 2 reopening of the state.  We may have a good July, Aug, and Sep, and then who knows what the Fall will bring.  The Oxford vaccine candidate is currently being tested on 10,000 volunteers and AstraZenica Pharceuticals says it will know by August if it works and can quickly produce 2 billion doses.

Even if it works, 27% of Americans said they definitely won't get vaccinated.  They'd rather believe virtually-uneducated celebrities telling them it's bad!  That's ok, that means a shorter line for me to get my shot and fewer people draining the Social Security Trust Fund and a resulting higher avg. IQ in the USA.

image.thumb.png.20c5a921b035a335ce8d1f877aafc191.png

image.png.0dd72212df68528bcafe21c26a58db1e.png

We've got good charts too.  But we're just now opening up.  I'm calling it here and now -- these secure little charts don't mean anything -- because in 2 months from now -- they aren't going to be the warm fuzzy here.  Until they can find a vaccination and have enough clinic trials -- there's going to be a lot of ebbing and flowing. I predict these charts won't look anything like this in 2 months.

23 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Even if it works, 27% of Americans said they definitely won't get vaccinated.  They'd rather believe virtually-uneducated celebrities telling them it's bad! 

Or not want to live with paralyzed extremities like those from the 70's that rushed to an early vaccine.  The fortunate ones were paralyzed the dead ones were not paralyzed.

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Or not want to live with paralyzed extremities like those from the 70's that rushed to an early vaccine.  The fortunate ones were paralyzed the dead ones were not paralyzed.

For this reason, I'll be laying low for at least 6 months or longer after it's offered.  Normally these things take 10 years to be delivered to the general population.  We're trying to condense it into a year.  What could go wrong??

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

We've got good charts too.  But we're just now opening up.  I'm calling it here and now -- these secure little charts don't mean anything -- because in 2 months from now -- they aren't going to be the warm fuzzy here.  Until they can find a vaccination and have enough clinic trials -- there's going to be a lot of ebbing and flowing. I predict these charts won't look anything like this in 2 months.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/phase-2-of-reopening-is-here-snohomish-county-gets-state-ok/

Ok, it's starting.  Watch the numbers go up.  Covid-19 is not your friend. 2 months I give it and we'll be right back to where we started and then some.

11 hours ago, Dottles said:

Over 1,000 coronavirus deaths reported in the past 24 hours.

Officials fear protests will bring new outbreaks

Non sequitur????  COVID deaths yesterday would not be in any way shape or form related to ones a month in the future.  Dopey.

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I don't know, I think most people would prefer death to paralysis as a general rule.  I would.