COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Phew! I'm glad to see it's in remission!!

That was yesterday’s, here’s today’s report.  Still accelerating. 

Walton County

Cases – 459 442 – That’s 17 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 –479.1
Total deaths – 28 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 63 – that’s one more hospitalization reported in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 9,482 – that’s 397 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 976.4
Total deaths – 173 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 1,138 – That is six more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Georgia

Confirmed cases –93,319 – that is 2,726 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 2,425 – that’s 12 more reported in the past 24 hours Hospitalizations – 11,743 – That’s 90 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 2,857 – That is one more death reported in the past 24 hours.

Walton County

Cases – 467 – That’s eight more cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 –487.4
Total deaths – 28 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 63 – that’s no more hospitalization reported in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 9,645 – that’s 163 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 993.2 
Total deaths – 173 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 1,141 – That is three more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Georgia

Confirmed cases –95,516 – that is 2,197 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 2,429 – that’s four more reported in the past 24 hours Hospitalizations – 11,775 – That’s 32 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 2,860 – That is three more death reported in the past 24 hours.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:44 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Not a bad strategy. 

Yeah it is, I have an idiot friend in Dallas that has always been fit and he says he is eating well and exercising as much as ever.  He also has been going to bars while he could, playing softball, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee all the time.

Anyway, half his strategy is ok, but won't prevent you from drawing the short straw.  The other half is just dumb.   "We are all gonna get it anyway" is the speech of a moran while he openly courts it.

28 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I had a third coworker test positive this week. I haven’t been there for three weeks, but don’t really want to go back after this coming weekend as scheduled. Millennials going to bars will be the death of me, it seems.  

Don't. If you don't look out for yourself, nobody else is.  Don't show up and make a stand, I can tell you I will not be going in until next year -- even if they want me to.

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I had a third coworker test positive this week. I haven’t been there for three weeks, but don’t really want to go back after this coming weekend as scheduled. Millennials going to bars will be the death of me, it seems.  

We've been asked to schedule a time to go to the office to clear out our desks.  They also asked what we needed from there so we could work from home until the end of the year.

IMO my son's job is effectively ended by the virus.  If the program can't bring students to the US there is little point in retaining teachers to prepare them for coming here.

Of course most of his stuff is in his room at the school in China along with a chunk of money in a local Chinese bank that cannot be accessed internationally.  Online schooling is finished after this month.  How or if he ever gets it back is up in the air.  For now, the remains of his life are what came to the US in a backpack in January.

• Sad 4

Phase 3 reopening in CT has been put on hold by the governor.  Based on activities in other states there is no chance we will be opening bars in the near future.  It appears to be something that simply can't be controlled so far as responsible social distancing is concerned.  We've even started closing some beaches again.

20 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

No they aren't.  I keep at maintaining my aerobic fitness as much as possible.  I don't know how much that might help but it's free and it's good exercise for many other things.

I STRONGLY recommend - and any normal, rational person would agree - the avoid getting COVID and get the vaccine instead.  Great idea to physically (and mentally) strengthen yourself, but the idea of using a hope for a "light" case of COVID or eventual herd immunity (pre-vaccine) to protect you is NUTSO.

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Anyway, half his strategy is ok, but won't prevent you from drawing the short straw.  The other half is just dumb.   "We are all gonna get it anyway" is the speech of a moran while he openly courts it.

B-I-N-G-O!

9 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What part of "harmless" do you not understand???? 

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Phase 3 reopening in CT has been put on hold by the governor.  Based on activities in other states there is no chance we will be opening bars in the near future.  It appears to be something that simply can't be controlled so far as responsible social distancing is concerned.  We've even started closing some beaches again.

Isn't it a FIRST AMENDMENT (or maybe 2nd or 5th or 9th or ...) RIGHT!!!!!!  WTF, COMMIES! You pay taxes, so it means you can do what you want.  Read the Constitution! It's in there :D

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I STRONGLY recommend - and any normal, rational person would agree - the avoid getting COVID and get the vaccine instead.  Great idea to physically (and mentally) strengthen yourself, but the idea of using a hope for a "light" case of COVID or eventual herd immunity (pre-vaccine) to protect you is NUTSO.

B-I-N-G-O!

What part of "harmless" do you not understand???? 

Isn't it a FIRST AMENDMENT (or maybe 2nd or 5th or 9th or ...) RIGHT!!!!!!  WTF, COMMIES! You pay taxes, so it means you can do what you want.  Read the Constitution! It's in there :D

Perhaps because of my age, my copy of the constitution is outdated.

• Haha 4

Semi-rational Rationalizations that coronavirus is pretty much tamed though not defeated in Maryland keep entering my mind. I have to keep reminding myself of Tchaikovsky dying of cholera because he got tired of boiling water before drinking it during an epidemic.

I wonder if the Mid-Atlantic States that got whacked hard initially are doing much better now, despite reopening, because a big enough fraction of the population has already had it that COVID-19 is having a harder time jumping to new victims and that's why COVID-19 has become so low there, while states not hit as hard initially, like Texas and Florida, have a population wide-open to being infected plus an idiotic leadership.

Have a few months of worry made us gun shy of activities that are reasonably safe? An example of overreaction is my sister, who almost died from COVID-19 and she has severely restricted activities and is retiring in August at age 61 from a great, interesting, 6-figure job at Johns Hopkins Hospital - though she's well-set for retirement.

I wonder if the traumatic months have made me too self-isolated when I realize that COVID-19 now only kills 1 out of every 500,000 Marylanders per day and about 1 of every 15,000 Marylander is (acute or critical) hospitalized for COVID-19.  Of course, a lot of those dead or hospitalized had/have additional illnesses adding to or primarily the problem.

On the other hand, 2740 of the 3140 deaths in Maryland were to those 60 and older and I'll be 70 in October. I would like to know how many of those who died had no problem walking a few miles, chainsawing, and doing other things without becoming short of breath, dizzy, etc. If I get it now, how much better prepared is the medical establishment to minimize my problems?

image.png.6bb24354d5f74b9c3739697dd789fb2a.png

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I STRONGLY recommend - and any normal, rational person would agree - the avoid getting COVID

So what, I'M in great shape and will probably survive it.  The people around me that I give it to, not so much.  The people they give it to, not so much.

Of all the MANY things we're doing a horrible job in educating about COVID, the concept of limiting hosts to reduce the spread is just not being understood.

(I know this isn't possible but) If who has been near anyone with the disease would effectively quarantine for 2-3 weeks, we don't need a vaccine or cure.  With no hosts to spread to, once either you kill it or it kills you, the virus ceases to exist.  THIS is why we social distance, and wear masks EVEN OUTSIDE NEAR PEOPLE.  It's not really that hard, if we all - oh - wait - beach party!?  Dude!  I'm there!

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Bolsonaro has contracted Covid-19.  Well, there goes one of the last great holdouts for myth instead of science.

I'm curious to see what comes of that.  If his case turns out to be one of the low symptom cases, probably nothing. But if it turns serious, will he turn serious?

The three sets of graphs I look at each morning:

The first is the 3-day rolling average of new deaths/day, where things look generally good for the USA:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-3-day-average?country=

image.png.c55f93eb07b7421d2bd479b4af9cdedd.png

The second is the 5-day rolling avg. of new daily cases, where things were looking unbelievably bad, but there's a hint of governors and people waking up:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

image.png.d3b80046fa1deb55f3991875efc13100.png

The third is my state's hospitalization and death and and new cases data, which look encouraging:

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/

image.thumb.png.783d129658c11e9613b7907578a6a6bb.pngimage.png.425bac089f29e1a6a8a038860e4f9957.png

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

In Florida, at least 43 hospitals across 21 counties -- including Miami-Dade, Broward, Hillsborough and Orange counties -- have hit capacity and show zero ICU beds available, according to data released by the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA).

Another 35 hospitals show ICU bed availability of 10% or less.

Blah blah blah.  Just a bunch of panicked folks.  Call me when folks start dying. 

...and then I will question your stats some more.  But first, get through the "harmless" gate.

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Blah blah blah.  Just a bunch of panicked folks.  Call me when folks start dying. 

...and then I will question your stats some more.  But first, get through the "harmless" gate.

A neighbor of a friend told him "I can't wait until the elections are over, then this thing will suddenly die off.  It is just to scare republicans when they vote".

Yes, the whole world is faking it for OUR elections.  The number of complete idiots out there is absolutely shocking, we HAVE to have the worst schools in the world if half our population is so utterly incapable of rational thought.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

A neighbor of a friend told him "I can't wait until the elections are over, then this thing will suddenly die off.  It is just to scare republicans when they vote".

Yes, the whole world is faking it for OUR elections.  The number of complete idiots out there is absolutely shocking, we HAVE to have the worst schools in the world if half our population is so utterly incapable of rational thought.

It's hard to argue with this.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Airborne spread from micro particles smaller than the droplets blamed so far is a very scary thing.  It makes being indoors in a public setting look a lot more dangerous.

I’ve always thought this was the likely transmission route. Sure, I still hand sanitized, but I was an early mask adapter and continue to use it consistently.

8 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

In Florida, at least 43 hospitals across 21 counties -- including Miami-Dade, Broward, Hillsborough and Orange counties -- have hit capacity and show zero ICU beds available, according to data released by the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA).

Another 35 hospitals show ICU bed availability of 10% or less.

That is only because they're testing more.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Just like every conspiracy theory, there's always that one little inconvenient detail.....

There's a lot of things made evident over this past year to make me realize Americans really aren't as great as we like to think

3 hours ago, 12string said:

Just like every conspiracy theory, there's always that one little inconvenient detail.....

There's a lot of things made evident over this past year to make me realize Americans really aren't as great as we like to think

The kooks and the conspiracy theories are pretty ornate.  Do people EVER behave in the ways the conspiracists describe?  (Rhetorical, you'd have to be an idiot to think they do).

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The kooks and the conspiracy theories are pretty ornate.  Do people EVER behave in the ways the conspiracists describe?  (Rhetorical, you'd have to be an idiot to think they do).

I met someone today who insisted that Karen Cooper was framed, and the black man she called the cops on had been throwing dog treats to the dog to get it to misbehave to allow him to falsely make his initial complaint. :dontknow:

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I met someone today who insisted that Karen Cooper was framed, and the black man she called the cops on had been throwing dog treats to the dog to get it to misbehave to allow him to falsely make his initial complaint. :dontknow:

I heard he was throwing the dog treats to try to get it to fall off the edge of the earth

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Was it Indy?

I like Indy, but the political beliefs were pretty bizarre.

11 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

It isn't getting better 

Texas is a mess.

Nearly 80% of the state’s hospital beds are in use, and intensive care units are filling up in some of the nation’s biggest cities, including San Antonio and Houston, where leaders are warning their health facilities could become overwhelmed in the coming days. In all, Texas has recorded more than 2,670 deaths and more than 200,000 confirmed cases of the virus.

While rising case numbers partly reflect more testing, Texas has a positive test rate of 13.5%, more than double the rate from a month ago.

• Sad 1

This thing is going to blow up -- bad.  The general feeling I'm getting is that most higher ups are saying to themselves that we can't stop it and lets just let it work it's way through our society.  if you are one of the unfortunates, so be it.  Because what's going on is nuts.  Obviously they don't care or they are under tremendous pressure to open it up.  I'm going mainly with the latter -- because if they don't care -- it's clear they don't know what to do about it anyway. I think it's time -- or it has been for some time -- that every man/woman for himself/herself.

America -- the greatest.  I give us credit.  When we suck, we really suck.