COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

6 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I remember Liddy was boasting about his scrotum size.  Don went home that evening and measured and found that his scrotum was larger and shared it on the radio the next day.  It pissed Liddy off and Don and Mike weren't allowed to talk about Liddy any more.

Until they were and then weren't and the were.  And both Liddy and D&M would torture the station manager (Ken???).  What a ponce.  Too funny.

43 minutes ago, 12string said:

We really need to just shut this down now.  Totally shut it down.  And it has to go even further than what we should have done in March.  In March, there were hundreds of cases, not millions.  The longer we wait, the length of the struggle increases exponentially.  I just can't believe how stupid we've become.

Really?  I can.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Allen said:

When this shit starts taking out our young, there better be a fundamental shift in the outlook in this country.

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Or what???

Will it cause a greater shift in thinking?  It might, among people with kids in school who get it AND give it back to parents.   I can't see how it won't affect the situation badly if that is the case.  Or, more likely, it will further cement most ignorant people's viewpoints that most people who get don't die and it is just tough luck if it happens to someone else and people die of the flu every year.

I know there are a lot of empty nesters on this forum, but do people know what schools in their area are planning to do in less than a month’s time?  My HS junior will be doing remote learning, although they are offering in-person options, too. My college freshman is planning to go to campus, although he’ll be in a single dorm room and doing mostly on-line classes.

Walton County

Cases – 900 – 20 in the past 24 hours.
Cases per 100,000 – 939.32
Total deaths – 34 – that’s two more deaths reported over the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 102 – that’s six more hospitalizations reported over the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 17,130 16,711 – that’s 419 more reported in the past 24 hours 
Cases per 100,000 – 1,763.9
Total deaths – 238 – that’s 10 more death reported over the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 1,964 – That is 46 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hour

Georgia

Confirmed cases – 186,352 – that is 4,149 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 3,414 – that’s 60 more reported in the past 24 hours Hospitalizations – 18,689 – That’s 386 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 3,752 – That is 81 more death reported in the past 24 hours

Just now, Dottles said:

Well the CDC hasn't been exactly tearing them up either.

At least you could trust their data to be raw. The new company hired by the HHS is specifically adept at presenting data in “useful” ways. And for $10 M, I suspect they may have motivation to present data in a way their employer wants it.

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Hospital data related to the coronavirus pandemic will no longer go to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention.

Instead, it will be collected by TeleTracking Technologies, a private technology firm based in Pittsburgh.

Throughout the pandemic, the CDC has collected information from hospitals on the number of ICU beds and personal protective equipment available.

Now the federal government is directing that information from hospitals go to a platform created by TeleTracking. The CDC says it is stepping aside in order to streamline reporting of COVID-19 data from hospitals.

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

At least you could trust their data to be raw. The new company hired by the HHS is specifically adept at presenting data in “useful” ways. And for $10 M, I suspect they may have motivation to present data in a way their employer wants it.

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Hospital data related to the coronavirus pandemic will no longer go to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention.

Instead, it will be collected by TeleTracking Technologies, a private technology firm based in Pittsburgh.

Throughout the pandemic, the CDC has collected information from hospitals on the number of ICU beds and personal protective equipment available.

Now the federal government is directing that information from hospitals go to a platform created by TeleTracking. The CDC says it is stepping aside in order to streamline reporting of COVID-19 data from hospitals.

Yeah I remember hearing about that.  We're entering an era of disinformation errr. have been in for awhile.  It's pathetic, really. Folks dying and it's a big power grab.  Some things never change I guess.  It's just so blatant now.

53 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Tale of two philosophies.

D3ED8F80-E565-4B56-9E50-DF4506F22181.jpeg

Yes, that photo was posted in press a few days ago.  In some CAnadian provinces, the messaging could be better. Right now in Alberta, we're spiking again. The provincial premier doesn't give sheot...old fogey still wants to prop up oil sands development, etc.  He has not made masks mandatory province-wide.

So the city where I live, the municipal emergency planning head honcho and other leadership, made mask-wearing mandatory bylaw...effective as of today for all indoor public spaces, except for people eating, indoor fitness (which makes no sense even with social distancing) and schools.  So 3 children at 1 of the schools, now have covid.  But still not shutting down the school, just reducing size of class.  This makes no sense..

So today, while in grocery store and bakery everyone inside was diligenlty wearing their masks.

It's a fine of $200.00 per person if you don't.  The implementation of our city bylaw for masking overrides the provincial trend at this time.  I'm glad for that.

My BIL's father just tested positive. Lives in Tampa, Fla. 74 years old, bad back from a motorcycle wreck while a motorcycle cop. Numerous surgeries, lesser results from each.

So he has been in a rehab center for the past month, had pneumonia and just tested positive for covid 

I met him about 25 years ago, big, strong alpha male. Has gone slowly downhill over the years, I think this will be the end   :(

• Sad 4

To confess, I am having a really difficult time with minority behavior in NYC during the pandemic.  At first we heard that minorities were getting covid at an alarming rate because they were frontline on retail, delivery, and other shitshow jobs where they had to deal with the general public.  Plus, they often had multiple jobs, and you often have multiple people in one residence with multiple public-facing jobs.  This makes intuitive sense to me, but they gotta eat and have families to support.  It sucks all the way around, but it is an easy situation to understand how they were getting it by the bunch.

Fast forward to me getting a bike and riding it.  Most times, I am riding in the morning.  The last couple of Sundays, though, I have gotten away for 3-plus hour rides where the first and last five or so miles parallel Riverside Park, a very long and thin sliver of park on the upper west side to Harlem.

Anyway, as I ride toward the George Washington Bridge on Riverside Drive to get to better riding on the other side, I see the picnics and bbq's that are held mostly by hispanics of all ages and comprising whoever in their family can come.  Tiny kids to old grandparents and everything in between.  Not one wearing a damn mask, nada, and these are groups of 15-60, dozens and dozens and dozens of groups.

Not as populous going out, but certainly coming back as it starts to get dark, it is the young black folks.  The groups are as populous as the hispanics, but smaller in size, maybe 8-30 people groups or so, and younger overall, around 15-30 years old.  Again, dozens and dozens of these groups, all in close quarters and no masks at all.  You know that many of these fuckwits live with their parents and some with their grandparents, making this risky behavior all the more egregious.

When I think of the politicians telling people essentially not to wear masks, I cross my fingers and hope that when they get covid, that they get what they deserve and die a painful death for all the other deaths they are causing, all while not passing the virus on to thinking and feeling folks, but I know it doesn't work that way.  I have a hard time wishing the same kind of targeted suffering on the minorities, partly because they are not advising people to get out there and participate in these gatherings, at least not on media while pretending they know shit from shinola.  They are tacitly doing the same within their communities, though, at least by example.

I am sure there are plenty of dumbass ignorant rednecks doing the same behaviors all over the country, but I am kinda pissed at the NYC minorities in general, as they were the hardest hit at first, and they have seen what happens, and they STILL are doing this behavior in a state that positively proved that mask wearing and distancing works.   Also because I am personally seeing so many ignoring common sense and being incredibly selfish and doing all the wrong things.  I am not having this "it is society's fault" crap about it anymore after having been an eyewitness to stupidity on a massive scale.   I do feel bad about the smart ones that I am not seeing doing society dirty, but the sheer numbers doing stupid things fully explain the increased infection rate within minority communities.

Btw, before even one of you starts whining like a  bitch and says "What about all the protesters?", you should realize that my firsthand witnessing of the protests showed universal mask-wearing by the protesters, while NONE of the protest cops I witnessed wore them.  Non-protest cops witnessed out and about just being normal cops showed maybe 3% wearing masks.  So far, we have been lucky enough not to have an uptick from the protests.

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

When I think of the politicians telling people essentially not to wear masks, I cross my fingers and hope that when they get covid, that they get what they deserve and die a painful death for all the other deaths they are causing while not passing the virus on to thinking and feeling folks, but I know it doesn't work that way.  I have a hard time wishing the same kind of targeted suffering on the minorities, partly because they are not advising people to get out there and participate in these gatherings, at least not on media while pretending they know shit from shinola.  They are tacitly doing the same within their communities, though, at least by example.

I am sure there are plenty of dumbass ignorant rednecks doing the same behaviors all over the country, but I am kinda pissed at the NYC minorities in general, as they were the hardest hit at first, and they have seen what happens, and they STILL are doing this behavior in a state that positively proved that mask wearing and distancing works.   Also because I am personally seeing so many ignoring common sense and being incredibly selfish and doing all the wrong things.  I am not having this "it is society's fault" crap about it anymore after having been an eyewitness to stupidity on a massive scale.   I do feel bad about the smart ones that I am not seeing doing society dirty, but the sheer numbers doing stupid things fully explain the increased infection rate within minority communities.

It must be hard to see this massive group behaviour in NYC when NYC has suffered a great deal with covid in high numbers.

Yesterday I was out riding through a park..just a ton of people rafting, BBQ, etc.  I could...smell people outdoors near the path which didn't make me feel comfortable.  :(  I've biked by a number of restaurants and bars that seemed to have too many people and tables not truly well distanced.

We don't have as many blacks in our city... so I couldn't see "blacks", what I see all the time, more white to me, what is noticeable it's younger people from late teens into early 30's or so whoopping it up.. Today lots of people in swimwear, rafting in groups, etc.  It felt unhealthy, it didn't seem refreshing to me. But then, I was never a beach /water person.  I live in a city of 1.2 million people.

In VAncouver the rate among East Asian-CAnadians actually has been lower..  re covid so far.  No sure about now.  Maybe it's the influence of overseas news /personal relatives/friends they might know in China which makes their own behaviour more self-conscious.  Not perfect. Just more aware.

I don't know about Toronto since that city and Montreal have the highest numbers of blacks living in Canada.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It must be hard to see this massive group behaviour in NYC when NYC has suffered a great deal with covid in high numbers.

Yesterday I was out riding through a park..just a ton of people rafting, BBQ, etc.  I could...smell people outdoors near the path which didn't make me feel comfortable.  :(  I've biked by a number of restaurants and bars that seemed to have too many people and tables not truly well distanced.

In VAncouver the rate among East Asian-CAnadians actually has been lower..  re covid so far.  No sure about now.  Maybe it's the influence of overseas news /personal relatives/friends they might know in China which makes their own behaviour more self-conscious.  Not perfect. Just more aware.

I used to make fun of Asians wearing masks when I first started seeing that a few years back or so.  Way ahead of the curve now, I realize.  Asians in NYC almost all universally wear masks, probably the group that 'gets it' most.

The restaurants do seem a bit tighter than is ideal.  Like the large groups in parks, at least they are outside where droplets dissipate more easily, there is always that. 

The black groups in the park, you almost always smell pot, so I am surmising that there is a lot of joint sharing and such.

9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I used to make fun of Asians wearing masks when I first started seeing that a few years back or so.  Way ahead of the curve now, I realize.  Asians in NYC almost all universally wear masks, probably the group that 'gets it' most.

The restaurants do seem a bit tighter than is ideal.  Like the large groups in parks, at least they are outside where droplets dissipate more easily, there is always that. 

The black groups in the park, you almost always smell pot, so I am surmising that there is a lot of joint sharing and such.

I used to think that Asians in North America who wore masks a few years ago...just paranoid. To me, as a Canadian-born and lived in Canada all my life.

I thought they were carrying habits over from the old country. My attitude at the time was:  the air in Canada is alot cleaner than Beijing or Shanghai on certain days! In fact, that's why some of them like visiting Canada as tourists:  our wilderness parks in terms of purity of air, etc. are heaven to them (except alot of them may not understand camping.).  The air can be crappy in certain cities there on certain days.

29 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I believe they mostly wear facial coverings in Asia due to a desire to not spread germs to others, not due to air quality concerns.

That's nice...as a Canadian with my narrow lens, without covid situation, that still seems paranoid.  We do have the flu shot here annually. It may be the much higher density living areas in various cities which some are incredibly huge. I don't know. If one looks at photos in Asia before covid, not everyone there was wearing a face mask. For sure, on better air days (you can tell from photos), many locals (if they were) were not masked...working wherever at their jobs.

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

If one looks at photos in Asia before covid, not everyone there was wearing a face mask. For sure, on better air days (you can tell from photos), many locals (if they were) were not masked...working wherever at their jobs.

They mostly wear them depending on whether they have cold symptoms or sniffles, etc. It’s not paranoid, because they are mildly symptomatic, it’s a desire to not share their germs with others.

• Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

Here in America we just die and spread it to the innocent -- because -- ain't nobody gonna tell us what to do. We got my rights, man.  

I'm no Doctor, and it's been a long time since I stayed at a Holiday Inn, but, I'm pretty sure we're....... what's the word......fucked, that's it... We are fucked.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Who knew America was so *&^%$ fragile.  It is like we were made of (*&^%$ pot metal!

Not fragile.  Stoopid.  New Jersey spike is looking like large scale indoor house parties.

Stoopid   Stoopid   Stoopid

Meanwhile Georgia's largest school district has confirmed that around 260 employees have either tested positive for Covid-19 or have been exposed.

The spice must flow.

27 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

13 St. Louis Cardinal players have tested positive. May be time to shut down MLB?

28 Players on Rutgers football team.

7 Players on the Michigan State football team

Marlins have about 20.

Zero cases in the NHL.  It looks like if you want sports, the players will need to be in a bubble.  

• Heart 1