COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

My state is just ramping up the testing. We are up to 643 cases confirmed and 40 deaths. It's just the tip of the iceberg. I know for a fact only a handful of folks are getting tested and they're working to get that changed. Genie is out of the bottle folks.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0OQxmtF9?s=a99&pd=03jGDCl9

Let's TRY to keep politics out of this thread. I know it's turbulent times and I can only ask that you keep it to the science and concerns in general without calling out names.

• Heart 2

37 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I keep thinking aboot RR's point that in the same time there were lots more deaths from the flu.

But there are huge differences. We know nothing about this disease. It also can be carried around for greater periods of time and you would never know it. There's also no vaccine currently offered to curtail it. In short, it has a 10x fatality rate as the flu and the flu never received a response like covid-19 is to slow it. It also hasn't infected large segments of society since the 1918. We have had hundreds of years studying the flu. To assume this will behave like the flu is irresponsible in my view. They have the best minds in the world on this telling you to take this serious. China has been able to slow it through martial law and displacement of entire towns and cities and you and I know that's not going to happen here.

The fear and concern is the unknown and the alarming rate of transmission... and that's just what we know about. My wife works at a medical facility and they are updating procedures and info daily and hourly. This may very well turn out to be like the flu but nobody knows that.

In short, we don't make as big of deal about the flu, in my opinion, because we understand it and it's predictable. Some years are going to be rougher. But this is breaking out in our societies and we don't know enough about it.

• Whatever 1

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Let's TRY to keep politics out of this thread.

Did the other thread get deleted?

WoBG and I went out to dinner with friends,  The restaurant normally would have been full, especially since this was a night for many for an early St Pat's day party.   I'd say they had 25% occupancy.

I try not to repost from other places here but like I said these are not normal times so here goes. 

Closing schools, social distancing, and cancellations have a shared goal of slowing the spread of the virus.  It would be fabulous to come out the other side of this saying ,”That wasn’t so bad.”   It won’t mean the press, the health care experts, and doctors were wrong..  It will mean we as a country were right. That we did it. That we avoided massive numbers of people becoming asymptomatic carriers,  others becoming mildly to moderately ill,  and many others becoming seriously ill or dying. Please stay focused on the goal which is making the COVID-19 outbreak a non event.  

Along the way it would be great to hit some secondary goals such as the media sharing only facts and people being good community members rather than self-centered individualists.  

Stay focused on the goal. As a country we win when we minimize impact.  
Stepping off my soap box.   Take care of each other.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

Schools closed indefinitely.  School leaders working Sunday to plan. All staff in my schools working Monday to both figure out how to educate kids with very complex needs when they cannot come to school AND how to close down schools for a longer time than we ever do because our kids qualify for 12 month education during typical times.   These are not typical times. Honestly, I am feeling the pressure of my job right now. 

I believe I posted that CT has temporarily suspended the 180 day education rule during the emergency.  It's going to be difficult but folks are going to have to understand that we may be scrapping a portion of this year, potentially up to and including graduation.  You will meet a lot of resistance.  Stay strong.

• Heart 1

There's no doubt this is greatly impacting our lives out here.  The hourly folks and the service industry are getting decimated here.  We've got so many new cases I don't bother posting them. I used the bus to get down to see my 87 year old father.  Tried not to touch anything, wash my hands a lot, and tried to keep distance by staying away from people including one gal who sneezed twice 2 seats in front of me.

"Social Distancing" is a complex strategy toward countering the disease.

"... social distancing’s aim is to keep the peak number of cases at a level the health care system can handle."

"Absent a vaccine, COVID-19 is likely to remain a part of the nation’s health landscape until enough people have been infected — Lipsitch estimates half of the population — that their immunity interferes with transmission and curtails its natural spread."

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2020/03/public-urged-to-ramp-up-social-distancing-increase-coronavirus-tests/

9 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Evidence of asymptomatic transmission going on, which will shatter our social distancing efforts. 

Yet, again, if folks don't die in huge numbers, it will be fake news. If they do die in large numbers, it's because many already believe it is fake news.  I wonder how folks determine their over/under for what they consider an issue needing to be addressed?

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I had no idea "bird flu" was so deadly.

So much always depends on when and where something happens.  If it's a third world country with poor medical facilities and a slow reaction time, it will likely hit harder with more deadliness.  Probably the contagious part remains relatively the same, but if an area can't treat the associated illness (dehydration, pneumonia, other lung issues, etc.), then it is going to lose more people than a place that can quickly intervene and treat that secondary stuff.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

So much always depends on when and where something happens.  If it's a third world country with poor medical facilities and a slow reaction time, it will likely hit harder with more deadliness.  Probably the contagious part remains relatively the same, but if an area can't treat the associated illness (dehydration, pneumonia, other lung issues, etc.), then it is going to lose more people than a place that can quickly intervene and treat that secondary stuff.

The news said something about the lack of facilities for an all out epidemic. I was speculating that the military could step in with their mobile facilities and ease some burden.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:
9 minutes ago, donkpow said:

So much always depends on when and where something happens

I tend to think the bigger issue is “how many” at one time. The Italian experience is that so many people were sick at once that it overwhelmed their medical facilities capacity. People died that wouldn’t have had to if there weren’t so many others sick at the same time.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I tend to think the bigger issue is “how many” at one time. The Italian experience is that so many people were sick at once that it overwhelmed their medical facilities capacity. People died that wouldn’t have had to if there weren’t so many others sick at the same time.

China had to engage emergency construction of medical facilities.

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

100%.  That's all you keep hearing is how to flatten the curve so it stays under max hospital capacity.  In that optimal situation, only the sickest should die, while the sick but with a chance will live in most cases.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Is that the test that is going into service at the drive through sites?

Doesn't really say, but I would guess that.  Results in four hours.  Looks like Roche makes the lower volume tests also so they should know what they are doing. I remember when they were called Hoffman La Roche.

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Exactly.  There is capacity problems already, as well as doc and nurse shortages.  I hear about this.  

17 hours ago, Dottles said:

My state is just ramping up the testing. We are up to 643 cases confirmed and 40 deaths. It's just the tip of the iceberg. I know for a fact only a handful of folks are getting tested and they're working to get that changed. Genie is out of the bottle folks.

In British Columbia, since it's only 200 kms. north of Seattle:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/9-new-coronavirus-detected-in-b-c-bringing-total-to-73-1.5498134  4 people recovered..

Canada today, has a total of 300 confirmed cases for the entire country.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-covid19-march-15-canada-world-1.5498348  Some people are lining up to get tested (no CAnadian with a public health authority issued health care card), that needed testing has been charged for cost.) but some told to leave, because they didn't have a doctor' appt. first/ phone 811 first (health authority hotline to hear of their symptoms first).

73 cases in B.C.  as of today.  The breakdown below:  

I person in the whole of Canada has died so far from cov-15.  It was an elderly person in a nursing home in North Vancouver.

image.png.b6aa29afbd9129134017414ea255902d.png

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

In British Columbia, since it's only 200 kms. north of Seattle:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/9-new-coronavirus-detected-in-b-c-bringing-total-to-73-1.5498134  4 people recovered..

Canada today, has a total of 300 confirmed cases for the entire country.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-covid19-march-15-canada-world-1.5498348  Some people are lining up to get tested (no CAnadian with a public health authority issued health care card), that needed testing has been charged for cost.) but some told to leave, because they didn't have a doctor' appt. first/ phone 811 first (health authority hotline to hear of their symptoms first).

73 cases in B.C.  as of today.  The breakdown below:  

I person in the whole of Canada has died so far from cov-15.  It was an elderly person in a nursing home in North Vancouver.

image.png.b6aa29afbd9129134017414ea255902d.png

This is a good point regarding limiting social mobility.  It's not easy these days to cross over the border.  It's more of a hindrance anyway and it's simply putting up a gate.  If that gate were open, then you'd see a lot more cases moving up into BC.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I was just looking at this map.  With the number of cases in South America, Africa and Australia, I am have a feeling that it is wishful thinking to think that Corona will dissipate with warmer weather.

That's a good point.  But you could argue they are on the downside of summer so they have slightly cooler weather.  I'm not arguing it.  I'm just saying there could be an argument made there.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I don't have YouTube, brah.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

How is that even possible?

45 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Not subscribed and don't have YouTube TV.

35 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

:scratchhead: You don't need either to watch a U-tube video.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Maybe he doesn't have the internet.

The problem with the word 'channel' is I was thinking streaming TV.  Those are a list of individual videos.  I recently got Roku TV and I've read that YouTube TV is pretty good.  In fact it's got some of the higher ratings out there for streaming TV.

• Heart 1