COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

So my wife says the Ignorant continue to come in and say restrictions should be lifted because other people are doing it and it's not a problem. Fuck. They just lifted them a couple weeks ago and only in some places. Basically I am more and more convinced people don't know shit about general science and that most -- not all -- are willfully ignorant.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I am more and more convinced people don't know shit about general science and that most -- not all -- are willfully ignorant.

Yes, they are. My buddy in Dallas, who has been to the bars a few times now and is an idiot (but a fun one) said "That's life, I don't want to hide for the next few years.".  He has no idea that the very social people he hangs out with and plays softball and ultimate frisbee and goes to the gym with before they all go out to the bars with are just the sort to pick the virus up and really spread it around before they know they are contagious.  Think about how many people are handling that softball, sweating on it, coughing on it, whatever, and giving it right back to you.  No thanks.

• Heart 1

On 5/15/2020 at 2:01 PM, BR46 said:

I've wondered. 

What good is the testing if you take the test and it would show negative but 5 minutes after you took the test you stopped at Walmart and picked up the virus off a shopping cart. 

You will think that you are negative until the symptoms start showing up. 

Yes, I’ve had that thought a few times. A test is just a snapshot in time. Not really all that meaningful. OTOH, maybe the antibody tests might be good but only if having the antibodies really means you are somewhat immune. 
We have a lottery for the antibody tests at work. You can refuse but i would like to know. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yes, I’ve had that thought a few times. A test is just a snapshot in time. Not really all that meaningful. OTOH, maybe the antibody tests might be good but only if having the antibodies really means you are somewhat immune. 
We have a lottery for the antibody tests at work. You can refuse but i would like to know. 

A test is a snapshot in time, but it tells you (assuming accuracy of course which isn't a given) if you have the virus and should quarantine for the good of others or that you don't have it which should provide some statistical element of safety which declines at a steady rate till your next test.  Is it possible for you to get virused 5 minutes after the test, yes.   However your odds a currently good although declining having had one and passed.

This whole infection thing is like gambling.  You play the odds and anything that helps is good.  You could hit the million on the first roll of the wheel or not.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

A test is a snapshot in time, but it tells you (assuming accuracy of course which isn't a given) if you have the virus and should quarantine for the good of others or that you don't have it which should provide some statistical element of safety which declines at a steady rate till your next test.  Is it possible for you to get virused 5 minutes after the test, yes.   However your odds a currently good although declining having had one and passed.

This whole infection thing is like gambling.  You play the odds and anything that helps is good.  You could hit the million on the first roll of the wheel or not.

Knowing at the moment brings a cascade of helpful if/then statements.  

If positive, then:

• Don't go to the grocery store and touch stuff you don't buy
  • Don't go to the grocery store at all
  • Don't get your hair cut
  • Don't bang chicks you don't know
  • Don't have a bbq
  • Don't go to the ball pit at Chuck-E-Cheese
  • Stay home
  • Consort with no one

If negative, then at least you have the assumption you are good to go do reasonable activities without being overly risky around at-risk folks, which sounds like what any reasonable person would want to do at a minimum.

• Heart 1

Here is another cautionary tale from a big winner:

Man who called coronavirus ‘fake crisis’ gets infected, issues warning

May 18, 2020 | 6:40am | 

A Florida man who initially believed the coronavirus was a “fake crisis” that was “blown out of proportion” is now hospitalized along with his wife — and is sounding a cautionary note about the deadly bug.

“I thought it was maybe the government trying something, and it was kind of like they threw it out there to kinda distract us,” Brian Hitchens told WPTV from his hospital bed.

“I’d get up in the morning and pray and trust in God for his protection, and I’d just leave it at that. There were all these masks and gloves. I thought it looks like a hysteria,” he added.

Enlarge Image Brian HitchensFacebook

The Uber driver described his ordeal in a lengthy Facebook post.

“Many people still think that the Coronavirus is a fake crisis which at one time I did too and not that I thought it wasn’t a real virus going around but at one time I felt that it was blown out of proportion and it wasn’t that serious,” he wrote.

Hitchens said he continued downplaying the pandemic until he began feeling sick and stopped working.

A couple of days later, his wife also began feeling unwell, so she went to a hospital and was told to go under quarantine.

But when the couple’s conditions worsened, Hitchens wrote, they went to Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center.

“They admitted us right away and we both went to ICU. I started feeling better within a few days but my wife got worse to the point where they sedated her and put her on the ventilator,” he said.

“I was never put ventilator and started feeling better feeling stronger never had terrible aches and pains just weak and exhausted,” Hitchens said, adding that his wife remains sedated.

“After 3 weeks I have come to accept that my wife may pass away and the peace I have about it is that I know without a shadow of a doubt that she will be going home to be with the Lord but I also do believe in miracles and I’m holding on to the chance that she may get healed but if not I am thankful for her I know we’ve been married for 8 years,” he said.

He added: “So think about what I wrote and think about if this thing is a fake crisis.

“Looking back I should have wore a mask in the beginning but I didn’t and perhaps I’m paying the price for it now but I know that if it was me that gave it to my wife I know that she forgives me and I know that God forgives me.”

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Here is another cautionary tale from a big winner:

Man who called coronavirus ‘fake crisis’ gets infected, issues warning

May 18, 2020 | 6:40am | 

A Florida man who initially believed the coronavirus was a “fake crisis” that was “blown out of proportion” is now hospitalized along with his wife — and is sounding a cautionary note about the deadly bug.

“I thought it was maybe the government trying something, and it was kind of like they threw it out there to kinda distract us,” Brian Hitchens told WPTV from his hospital bed.

“I’d get up in the morning and pray and trust in God for his protection, and I’d just leave it at that. There were all these masks and gloves. I thought it looks like a hysteria,” he added.

Enlarge Image Brian HitchensFacebook

The Uber driver described his ordeal in a lengthy Facebook post.

“Many people still think that the Coronavirus is a fake crisis which at one time I did too and not that I thought it wasn’t a real virus going around but at one time I felt that it was blown out of proportion and it wasn’t that serious,” he wrote.

Hitchens said he continued downplaying the pandemic until he began feeling sick and stopped working.

A couple of days later, his wife also began feeling unwell, so she went to a hospital and was told to go under quarantine.

But when the couple’s conditions worsened, Hitchens wrote, they went to Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center.

“They admitted us right away and we both went to ICU. I started feeling better within a few days but my wife got worse to the point where they sedated her and put her on the ventilator,” he said.

“I was never put ventilator and started feeling better feeling stronger never had terrible aches and pains just weak and exhausted,” Hitchens said, adding that his wife remains sedated.

“After 3 weeks I have come to accept that my wife may pass away and the peace I have about it is that I know without a shadow of a doubt that she will be going home to be with the Lord but I also do believe in miracles and I’m holding on to the chance that she may get healed but if not I am thankful for her I know we’ve been married for 8 years,” he said.

He added: “So think about what I wrote and think about if this thing is a fake crisis.

“Looking back I should have wore a mask in the beginning but I didn’t and perhaps I’m paying the price for it now but I know that if it was me that gave it to my wife I know that she forgives me and I know that God forgives me.”

1) You're cutting and pasting skills suck!

2) Onion articles are not "fair game" here

and 3) it strikes me as still the wrong person to pay any attention to about COVID.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

1) You're cutting and pasting skills suck!

2) Onion articles are not "fair game" here

and 3) it strikes me as still the wrong person to pay any attention to about COVID.

I cut it and pasted it.  Blame the formatting or me not caring THAT much about it.  I wish it was an Onion article!  I am observant and I pay attention to stuff.

You are welcome.

• Haha 1

I am disgusted by my hometown. 
Im out of water, so I decided to go into town for gas and a first restaurant try since lockdown. The gas station was packed with lotto players (the local factory just changed shifts), skip that, not going in there. 
Thought I would get take out at the Japanese place, packed with no social distancing. Skip that.  Went to Moe’s. No masks on the workers. Not eating there. Went to the Mexican restaurant, same deal, no masks and packed. 
Chick-fil-A however is still taking orders outside and everyone is wearing a mask.  So I got a chicken sandwich and a coke. 

I feel like my doomer neighbor and I are the only ones taking anything seriously. No local grocery stores are requiring masks, no masks in restaurants. What the hell?  

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Allen said:

Chick-fil-A however is still taking orders outside and everyone is wearing a mask.  So I got a chicken sandwich and a coke. 

No WAFFLE FRIES?????  WTF, man???

My feeling is that Georgians are a good experiment in how quickly we can reopen.  As you have mentioned, your assisted living places have been hit hard, and a few events (funerals?) played a big part, but probably for most of the state, it's in the lower level of infection, and despite a "rush" back to being open, the simple fact that the average Georgian interacts with and stands close to far fewer people each day than an average NYC person means it won't be as bad as it could be.

Density is the HUGE factor with these outbreaks.  Less dense areas can get hit, but it is unlikely to ever be as significant as the dense places.

On the proactive side, though, you and the prepper neighbor should go in on a six month supply of hydroxychloroquine with a zinc kicker!

On 5/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, Randomguy said:

There is a lot of apparent evidence to look at that is being unfortunately disregarded, everyone just has to look a bit.

First thing to think about is how Fox is on a WFH corporate policy, and has been for some time.  On air, they tell you not to worry, "the dems want the economy to collapse, liberate the state, Fauci doesn't know shit" blah blah blah.  Again, their corporate folks are home and they are telling YOU to do something else entirely.   Do you really want to take the on-air advice that directly opposes their corporate actions they are considering as necessary protections?

Secondly, the white house has said repeatedly that the president and other important people get tested everyday, and everybody who tests positive or feels sick quarantines for at least two weeks, and that staffers now are mandated to wear masks except when on television (unless you are trump or pence).  Does this tell you that they are much more worried about it than they are saying on air?  It should.  They are telling you to open things up when they are more worried about their personal safety, and are more than happy to enforce mask-wearing, constant testing, quarantining internally, etc. as they know that this is in their best interest and works. 

By pushing to open everything up now, aren't they telling you that they are more than willing to let you catch the virus and spread it around?  To your family or your friend's family?  They are basically telling you that they don't give a shit about you, so long as it helps get them reelected.

As far as not trusting doctors like Fauci, the evidence is overwhelming that you should.  All the Fox people and the like would love to get the guy who dares to disagree or contradict trump out, which he does with regularity, although very carefully and tactfully.  That he has to be careful with words shows me that he made a decision that he can help the greatest number of people by not getting removed and being replaced by yet another lackey that will say what he is instructed to say.  I honestly don't know how he can bite his tongue with the obviously false statements being made by the politicians.

Anyway, the point is that those in power are doing things that guard their personal safety and think will help with reelection, but sell you a load of goods in the process and put you at risk.   The message is that you aren't important enough to stay protected, but important people are.  I don't like this kind of 'leadership'.

Ok, adding to this whole web of dishonesty is the released-today fact that the president is taking what the scientists have said is an ineffective drug that may be unsafe for some folks based on the side effects.  There are two logical conclusions that stem from this:

1: The president is clearly freaked out about his own personal safety, thus clearly displaying the dishonesty in his "it is no big deal" line to the little people.  He is freaked and is doing anything to prevent catching it, including mandatory mask wearing for other employees, social distancing, quarantining, and tracing of staff that caught the virus.  All the unnecessary stuff for something that is "no big deal", right?

-OR-

2. The president is invested in the companies or is buying influence in the companies that produce the drug he says he is taking. "Anyone can get this drug" is a message to the gullible trumpers that want to as well.

So which is it?  He believes a lot of very stupid shit, so it is hard to tell.   The simplest thing is to believe the first scenario rather than the second, although it does sound like something he would do if he could, he clearly believes he is above the law and he can get away with anything.

35 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, adding to this whole web of dishonesty is the released-today fact that the president is taking what the scientists have said is an ineffective drug that may be unsafe for some folks based on the side effects.  There are two logical conclusions that stem from this:

1: The president is clearly freaked out about his own personal safety, thus clearly displaying the dishonesty in his "it is no big deal" line to the little people.  He is freaked and is doing anything to prevent catching it, including mandatory mask wearing for other employees, social distancing, quarantining, and tracing of staff that caught the virus.  All the unnecessary stuff for something that is "no big deal", right?

-OR-

2. The president is invested in the companies or is buying influence in the companies that produce the drug he says he is taking. "Anyone can get this drug" is a message to the gullible trumpers that want to as well.

So which is it?  He believes a lot of very stupid shit, so it is hard to tell.   The simplest thing is to believe the first scenario rather than the second, although it does sound like something he would do if he could, he clearly believes he is above the law and he can get away with anything.

The answer is out there to be found.  It's just not here.

18 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Good news for a change.  South Korea indicates that those who tested positive for the virus after recovering were the result of dead virus cells.  It does not appear that reinfection soon after recovery is what caused the test results.

This is why science is important.

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Study-No-COVID-19-re-infection-in-recovered-15283483.php

Our nursing home is in trouble. 

Park Place Nursing Home has had 63 residents who have tested positive with 56 remaining active. The results are cumulative. One is considered recovered at this time and seven of the residents who have tested positive have passed away. There also are eight staff members who have tested positive and one staff member who is now considered recovered. In addition 41 of the staff members and 77 of the current residents have tested negative.

9 hours ago, Allen said:

Our nursing home is in trouble. 

Park Place Nursing Home has had 63 residents who have tested positive with 56 remaining active. The results are cumulative. One is considered recovered at this time and seven of the residents who have tested positive have passed away. There also are eight staff members who have tested positive and one staff member who is now considered recovered. In addition 41 of the staff members and 77 of the current residents have tested negative.

It must be horrible to be an occupant to sit and see your fellow residents dropping like flies.  My aunt and uncle are in an assisted living facility and they have been in lockdown in their suite for 20 days and were advised yesterday, it will last 29 more.  My aunt called me in tears yesterday asking why.  Apparently they have had 5 deaths but the staffwonit say who.  What a way to treat people.  

As far as I am concerned, the whole medical profession takes a juvenile approach to helping people cope with problems. There is no doubt that positive thinking is helpful in the healing process. However, it's only helpful for children for the 'doctor' to say, Don't worry, sweety. Everything will be okay. Adults have experience with problem solving. Generally, that includes understanding the nature of the situation. Or at least the seeking of understanding of the situation.

10 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Maryland announces single-day high of 1,784 new coronavirus cases.

Amazing to see that jump! I'm guessing that's a weekend bump?????

This is from the past couple of days, but it shows that at least MD is testing more than my state, but MD is a bit denser so it should be testing more.

image.thumb.png.daf9fd48594dbc486cfc83392d1b560d.png

image.thumb.png.34a92dce7b1d8a55a48799f6a3ae1d54.png

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It must be horrible to be an occupant to sit and see your fellow residents dropping like flies.  My aunt and uncle are in an assisted living facility and they have been in lockdown in their suite for 20 days and were advised yesterday, it will last 29 more.  My aunt called me in tears yesterday asking why.  Apparently they have had 5 deaths but the staffwonit say who.  What a way to treat people.  

My experience with them is we had Pop in them a couple of times to convalescence after he broke his hip, twice.

It has to be terrifying to have to be in one now. 
They haven’t posted today’s numbers but yesterday out of 172 cases here, 62 Of which are in one nursing home. I think they account for all of the deaths (9) except maybe one. 

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Are you sure that was only he CDC making the mistake.  News reports are more specific as to the states doing it.  Is it possible that the CDC is simply reporting what they are given?

I read a article yesterday regarding this that stated the states that were reporting this way (the ones listed above) were doing so at the guidance of the CDC.  My thought was, if so, why are they the only states doing so. 

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I read a article yesterday regarding this that stated the states that were reporting this way (the ones listed above) were doing so at the guidance of the CDC.  My thought was, if so, why are they the only states doing so. 

I'd hazard a guess but.....................

Lets just say that some peoples interpretation isn't the same as others.

26 minutes ago, Dottles said:

CDC... from the same government outfit that told us we have nothing to worry about....

I was about to make the point that the current  government (like in the book '1984') is attempting to rewrite the data to control the message and paint a happy picture.   

In the last bunch of administrations, none of them attempted to rewrite the actual data, although they might offer a narrative that massaged the message somewhat, but at least it was plausible and the data points were trustworthy, as were the organizations compiling them.  Now, everyone gets fired that doesn't stick to wishes instead of facts.  

I no longer trust messages coming out of the CDC, and I don't think I am alone in having to read between the lines to interpret anything related to the president and this administration.   Does having most of the country distrust what is coming from the white house drain the swamp or help the country long-term?  Doesn't having only buttlickers and yes men around necessarily put you in a permanent fantasy world, much to the detriment of everyone else?

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I was about to make the point that the current  government (like in the book '1984') is attempting to rewrite the data to control the message and paint a happy picture.   

In the last bunch of administrations, none of them attempted to rewrite the actual data, although they might offer a narrative that massaged the message somewhat, but at least it was plausible and the data points were trustworthy, as were the organizations compiling them.  Now, everyone gets fired that doesn't stick to wishes instead of facts.  

I no longer trust messages coming out of the CDC, and I don't think I am alone in having to read between the lines to interpret anything related to the president and this administration.   Does having most of the country distrust what is coming from the white house drain the swamp or help the country long-term?  Doesn't having only buttlickers and yes men around necessarily put you in a permanent fantasy world, much to the detriment of everyone else?

This. So that you can avoid the pink elephant in the room and pretend the political side doesn't exist in the future, know that we are in agreement. Now please for Cliff and the sake of this thread, please scale it back. Remember, Myles did nothing wrong.

Two latest developments:

-Insiders at Moderna sold $30 million worth of stock immediately after they publicized favorable vaccine PR and the stock rose.

-Trump's coronavirus drug is associated with MORE death rather than the opposite, based on a large study released today.  I can get links if you want them, they are widely out there.