COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Non sequitur????  COVID deaths yesterday would not be in any way shape or form related to ones a month in the future.  Dopey.

No, they are more related to the May reopenings and Memorial Day.  Protest cases won't show for about 3 weeks to a month.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/phase-2-of-reopening-is-here-snohomish-county-gets-state-ok/

Ok, it's starting.  Watch the numbers go up.  Covid-19 is not your friend. 2 months I give it and we'll be right back to where we started and then some.  Just be glad you don't live in Brazil.

15 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Or not want to live with paralyzed extremities like those from the 70's that rushed to an early vaccine.  The fortunate ones were paralyzed the dead ones were not paralyzed.

So it will be important to look at what type of vaccine they develop to know what the risk may be. A vaccine using live, attenuated virus is going to be one risk, dead virus another, virus proteins much less. 

IIRC, the polio vaccine that first came out that caused paralysis and death was due to lab error resulting in failure to kill the virus that was being used as a killed virus vaccine. The paralysis was the effect of the virus, not a side effect of the vaccine. The vaccine in that case was unfortunately the delivery system.

19 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I like the Hawaii curve, they did things right with a mandatory 2 week quarantine upon arrival to an island. No car rentals, you didn’t even get hotel room keys for the first two weeks because there was no reason you should leave your hotel room.

But my rights! :flirtyeyess:

14 minutes ago, Dottles said:

But my rights! :flirtyeyess:

Yes, your right to potentially not catch a virus eclipses my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

When did the definition of the word quarantine change from segregating the sick from the health to segregating the healthy from society?

#politics

#lockthedoors

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yes, your right to potentially not catch a virus eclipses my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

When did the definition of the word quarantine change from segregating the sick from the health to segregating the healthy from society?

#politics

#lockthedoors

Because you are from MI, and that means you are one sick fuck.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Actually I'm feeling pretty good.  No fever, no coughs...

HI apparently has the right to require you to do this if you want to visit.  You have the right to stay in MI or go somewhere else that has the laws you like better.

Iceland says you can go, but you have to get a test when you land and hang out until you get results.  They think MI is fine (because they don't know any better).

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

HI apparently has the right to require you to do this if you want to visit.  You have the right to stay in MI or go somewhere else that has the laws you like better.

Iceland says you can go, but you have to get a test when you land and hang out until you get results.  They think MI is fine (because they don't know any better).

You're right

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I like the Hawaii curve, they did things right with a mandatory 2 week quarantine upon arrival to an island. No car rentals, you didn’t even get hotel room keys for the first two weeks because there was no reason you should leave your hotel room.

Hawaii had a huge advantage being an island in the middle of a pretty large ocean.  It was easy to restrict arrivals.   

• Heart 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

I will refer to the Icelanders as 'eskimos' the whole time for effect

You can't do that.  Words have meaning.  Even if the meaning you were taught was right when you were taught the meaning, it may now have a different meaning and the meaning of the word is different and you are wrong even if you were once right.

So it's OK for you to use that word to describe those people but it's not right for someone else to use a different word to describe other people because someone decided that a different word is better and the old word is offensive.

Just so I understand the rules...

And I'm not going anywhere with you.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Dallas County numbers are climbing, most likely due to all the "protesters" taking off their masks to make it easier to breathe while carrying a big screen tv.

That sounds like a political comment to me.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

#politics

#lockthedoors

Actually, it was to separate the sick (who didn't know if they were sick or not) from the soon to be sick.

I posted this to separate politics from science.

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Actually, it was to separate the sick (who didn't know if they were sick or not) from the soon to be sick.

So why did Joe who lives down the street have to stay home and why did my daughter lose her job and why did the coffee shop have to go out of business?  I'm still confused because none of those have anything to do with what you just said.  And you didn't really answer my question but I thank you for trying.

15 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So why did Joe who lives down the street have to stay home and why did my daughter lose her job and why did the coffee shop have to go out of business?  I'm still confused because none of those have anything to do with what you just said.  And you didn't really answer my question but I thank you for trying.

Your governor is going to be the VP pick, isn't she?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Quarantine has always meant segregation of all newcomers until confirmed clear.

quar·an·tine
/ˈkwôrənˌtēn/

noun
  1. a state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed.

37 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I hope Joe stayed off his front porch!

Did your daughter lose her job or is it a temporary thing?  Isn't MI opening up again?  Is she making more being unemployed than employed?  That's a big plus.  And how about the coffee shop? We had this discussion with BR46 and his local businesses.  Are you in the "know" of what the coffee shop was doing/not doing that led to their closing? 

It's certainly not a great situation from either side - being in a place under ACTIVE quarantine where folks around you are dropping dead because you had no idea you were spreading COVID for a few weeks to friends, coworkers, fellow coffee patrons, and parish/club/team members - who then spread it to their peeps - or being in a lockdown where the disease doesn't readily spread so why the heck are you required to be in lockdown???? 

53 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You're right.

6 minutes ago, Allen said:

Our numbers continue to climb. Over 300 infected, 2 more nursing home deaths last night bringing their total to 21. And 51 out of 77 hospital beds are covid patients. 

But the curve Allen!  The curve.  It's all safe to go back now.  Get out there now because the governor or mayor says it's all OK -- especially the president.  Or just come here and listen to @Kzoo.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dottles said:

But the curve Allen!  The curve.  It's all safe to go back now.  Get out there now because the governor or mayor says it's all OK -- especially the president.  Or just come here and listen to @Kzoo.

TX has the most daily new cases in the country now, I would like to hear from jsharrt on his role in this.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

TX has the most daily new cases in the country now, I would like to hear from jsharrt on his role in this.

In the shuffling madness
Of the locomotive breath,
Runs the all, time loser,
Headlong to his death
He feels the piston scraping
Steam breaking on his brow
Old Charlie stole the handle and
The train it won't stop now