COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is there really an "if" here???? It is more a "when" isn't it?

But you all probably have the contact tracing down by now, don't you?

Not everyone here shops at Walmart.  We have ACE hardware and two grocery stores. And, you know better than to ask me about 'contact tracing' etc., as you know how I keep up with technology.:whistle:

Just now, Dottles said:

I think @Razors Edge is volunteering.

I gotta say, how hard can it be to contact trace when you know everyone in town???  Jeebus! Pre-COVID, I'm sure a trip to the barber was a virtual who, what, when, and why down to the minute recounting, but now???? Crickets!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

But the curve, Allen.  The curve.

Slowly but surely 

Cases –327– That is three more cases in the past 24 
Total deaths – 23 – that’s one more death reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 54 – that’s no more hospitalization in the past 24 hours

One county over, lots more dense, lots more cases

Cases – 5,308 – that’s 136 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 155 – that’s three deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 783 774  – That is nine more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

IMO the lower death rates now are because doctors have learned a lot about treating the virus in the past 5 months.  There are far fewer people going on ventilators than at first because it's been learned that they don't work very well.  Other methods have proven to work better.  High flow nasal oxygen is now used.  It wasn't at first because "the word" was that this raised the risk that doctors and nurses had to take.  

Here is an article that points to some of the many changes that have taken place.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/what-icu-doctors-have-learned-about-covid-19-how-they-n1225801

This is a good link posted by Max.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Slowly but surely 

Cases –327– That is three more cases in the past 24 
Total deaths – 23 – that’s one more death reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 54 – that’s no more hospitalization in the past 24 hours

One county over, lots more dense, lots more cases

Cases – 5,308 – that’s 136 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 155 – that’s three deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 783 774  – That is nine more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Most people have this linear concept of disease.  No.  It's exponential. Which means I suspect by end of summer things are going to shut down again if not sooner.

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Most people have this linear concept of disease.  No.  It's exponential. Which means I suspect by end of summer things are going to shut down again if not sooner.

My doctor who is running the drive through parking lot testing used to give weekly updates on the infection rate percentages. I don’t know why she quit, those were interesting numbers to me. They were moving up at a near exponential rate for the few weeks that she did her live-streams.

1 minute ago, Allen said:

My doctor who is running the drive through parking lot testing used to give weekly updates on the infection rate percentages. I don’t know why she quit, those were interesting numbers to me. They were moving up at a near exponential rate for the few weeks that she did her live-streams.

You should call and ask her.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The virus has become boring.  Who wants to hear about 116,000 dead anyway.  I'd rather go to the beach.

...which might explain the 200,000+ estimate now being floated about. 

What were the original "estimates" from very smart people??? Was it 15 folks MAX expected to die get sick? 

Feb 26, 2020:

"I want you to understand something that shocked me when I saw it that — and I spoke with Dr. Fauci on this, and I was really amazed, and I think most people are amazed to hear it: The flu, in our country, kills from 25,000 people to 69,000 people a year. That was shocking to me. And, so far, if you look at what we have with the 15 people and their recovery, one is — one is pretty sick but hopefully will recover, but the others are in great shape. But think of that: 25,000 to 69,000. ... "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."

...or maybe on March 12, 2020:

"I mean, think of it: The United States, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point. Other countries that are smaller countries have many, many deaths. Thirty-two is a lot. Thirty-two is too many. But when you look at the kind of numbers that you're seeing coming out of other countries, it's pretty amazing when you think of it. So, that's it."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-numbers/covid-19-cases-gwinnett-county-increase/85-018b51f4-4001-482e-8135-2544d89801d5?fbclid=IwAR14C7V8429AIgtNt44e3Y2_vzK_6TSk5cHmLN0TQd4w1YrYdRGNp5tKbhA

Gwinnett county, the one next to mine, has just become the county with the most cases in the state doubling its number to 5,000 in the last month. Gwinnett is a bedroom county for Atlanta. There s no one major city in Gwinnett, just several several smaller towns that in the last 20-30 years have become a single mass of sprawling suburbs. 

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-numbers/covid-19-cases-gwinnett-county-increase/85-018b51f4-4001-482e-8135-2544d89801d5?fbclid=IwAR14C7V8429AIgtNt44e3Y2_vzK_6TSk5cHmLN0TQd4w1YrYdRGNp5tKbhA

Gwinnett county, the one next to mine, has just become the county with the most cases in the state doubling its number to 5,000 in the last month. Gwinnett is a bedroom county for Atlanta. There s no one major city in Gwinnett, just several several smaller towns that in the last 20-30 years have become a single mass of sprawling suburbs. 

No offense, Allen, but my county is way more than that and it is not even remotely a "crisis" here.  In no way does this downplay people getting sick and dying from COVID, but I can honestly say the world I live in (with 13,000 cases and 441+ dead) is not collapsing under the weight of this pandemic. 

image.png.ab7dc2a8f4ccc60bd77aa2a9af765f19.png

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

No offense, Allen, but my county is way more than that and it is not even remotely a "crisis" here.  In no way does this downplay people getting sick and dying from COVID, but I can honestly say the world I live in (with 13,000 cases and 441+ dead) is not collapsing under the weight of this pandemic. 

image.png.ab7dc2a8f4ccc60bd77aa2a9af765f19.png

Y’all’s new case rate is much lower than Gwinnett’s. 13 new cases a day pales to Gwinnett’s 100+ new daily cases. 
My fear is overwhelming the rural hospitals. My county, which is admittedly much smaller than Gwinnett only has one hospital with 77 beds. Around 60 of which are currently occupied by covid patients. 

A telling stat from my area is the way COVID is WAY over-represented in the Hispanic community and likely to the poorer folks within that community.  While 16.8% of the county, they are being crushed by 65% of the COVID cases.  Not an even (or fair) distribution of pain and loss.

image.png.f44905556d889b92fdae2d7a55e78d60.png

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A telling stat from my area is the way COVID is WAY over-represented in the Hispanic community and likely to the poorer folks within that community.  While 16.8% of the county, they are being crushed by 65% of the COVID cases.  Not an even (or fair) distribution of pain and loss.

Gwinnett is fairly ethnically diverse. I haven’t seen a breakdown of covid over ethnic lines but would not be surprised if the same were true there. Walton, my county, has been hit much harder in the black community if you discount the horrible outbreak in the nursing home. 

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Are these charts global or local?  South America is bombing out right now.

This about sums it up. If this isn't a microcosm of America, right now, I don't know what is.

Reeves, 37, lives in Yakima, which right now is one of the hottest zones for America’s patchwork coronavirus pandemic. How hot? At the current rate of disease spread, within about a week Yakima County is due to pass New York City for the percentage of its people known to have contracted COVID-19.

https://www.yakimaherald.com/opinion/columnists/getting-sick-has-gotten-political-one-yakima-woman-s-struggle-to-say-the-coronavirus-hurt/article_d0feac70-b0c6-11ea-b0aa-6b8ee671a727.html

10 minutes ago, Dottles said:

“Getting sick has gotten political,” Reeves says. “Even in Yakima, where we’re one of the worst zones in the country, people aren’t wearing masks solely because it’s a Republican-Democrat issue now. It’s embarrassing.”

Meh.  Is this any different than those chicken pox parties? Or whatever dopey thing parents are/were doing to get their kids immune?  Go hang out at a bar for a few hours, catch COVID, and now have a nice immunity for the next year or so and go travel!!!  Heck, spread it a bit to friends, family, and neighbors and you've done your civic duty for the year! You can even skip the next election if since you already did your thing to make this place great.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Meh.  Is this any different than those chicken pox parties? Or whatever dopey thing parents are/were doing to get their kids immune?  Go hang out at a bar for a few hours, catch COVID, and now have a nice immunity for the next year or so and go travel!!!  Heck, spread it a bit to friends, family, and neighbors and you've done your civic duty for the year! You can even skip the next election if since you already did your thing to make this place great.

If all these tough guys weren't draining our healthcare system -- I'd be all in for letting them be tough and die. But you know as well as I do, the same folks who don't believe in science will be the first ones clamoring to get into the hospital.

47 minutes ago, Dottles said:

If all these tough guys weren't draining our healthcare system -- I'd be all in for letting them be tough and die. But you know as well as I do, the same folks who don't believe in science will be the first ones clamoring to get into the hospital.

Yup.

You want to be more concerned about getting it (or the permanent after affects of getting it), read this:

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

49 minutes ago, Dottles said:

If it was ONLY them having to get in hospitals.  They get sick, infect 3 friends, who infect 3 friends.....

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yup.

You want to be more concerned about getting it (or the permanent after affects of getting it), read this:

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

Recovering from covid-19 is not winning. It's simply an enemy you don't want to be hanging out with.

3 minutes ago, 12string said:

If it was ONLY them having to get in hospitals.  They get sick, infect 3 friends, who infect 3 friends.....

...and the pandemic is burned out in two months! Boom!  Who needs "vaccines" when we have immunity through stupidity bravery?

Walton County 
Cases –335 – That is four more cases in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 25 – that’s two more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 55 – that’s one more hospitalization in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 5,658 – that’s 207 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 158 – that’s two more death reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 816  – That is 28 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

Walton County 
Cases –335 – That is four more cases in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 25 – that’s two more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 55 – that’s one more hospitalization in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 5,658 – that’s 207 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 158 – that’s two more death reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 816  – That is 28 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

I like your counts.  It's a beautiful running total that clearly shows the downward trend.  Those parabolic curves coming out of the WH and well -- @MickinMD -- have some groovy formulas.

State confirms 408 new COVID-19 cases and 19 more deaths

State health officials confirmed 408 new COVID-19 cases in Washington on Wednesday.

The update brings the state’s totals to 27,192 cases and 1,245 deaths, meaning about 4.6% of people diagnosed in Washington have died, according to the state Department of Health (DOH).

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Some are suggesting our county go back to phase 1 for 2 weeks. Numbers are increasing, and they are having a mass testing at the fairgrounds on Friday and Saturday.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

You can pay now or pay later I guess.

Yeah, I'm confused too.  I think it's probably good idea to have testing early.

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

@sheep_herder.  If and when we go to Mammoth Hot Springs, you'll only be a meager 319 miles from me.  I'll bet you could do it under 5 hours.  :)

The slowest part of the drive is from Livingston south, otherwise it is 80mph interstate most of the way. Let me know your schedule.

• Heart 1