Dottleshead

Walton County

Cases –340 – That is five more cases in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 25 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 55 – that’s no more hospitalization in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 5,753  – that’s 95 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 159 – that’s one more death reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 822  – That is six more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Walton County

Cases –340 – That is five more cases in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 5,753  – that’s 95 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 159 – that’s one more death reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 822  – That is six more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

It's a tinderbox.

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, 12string said:

I was thinking that it's like we're not even trying.  But it's really turned into we're trying - to get everyone sick.

Because we can't possibly infringe on anyone's right to not wear masks or distance?   The USandA is a land of ignorant fuckers, moreso than most other developed countries.  We have to face the fact that many/most in our country are pretty dim and selfish, or the other way around.  When was the last time our country actually was great?

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The USandA is a land of ignorant fuckers, moreso than most other developed countries

Speaking or trying, lately we've been working real hard at this reputation.

(but otherwise we're still pretty great)

Have you read The Greatest Generation?  Excellent book

The recent numbers in Ontario, Alberta, etc. show that 60% of those with covid are younger 20'-40's. At a bakery cafe nearby, I'm flummoxed by the number of people sitting across the tables from one another.  So everyone belongs each in a family?

On Friday afternoon, there were 6 teen girls or were they college...I can't tell anymore since a lot of girls these days look bigger (meaning heavier, bigger,etc.) were all in diaphanous, prom long dresses and cleavage, going out to a bridge for their life milestone photos. For sure, they aren't 1 family.  No way.  Yet they would have had to come to the location by car or van.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

It has been noted in the news that the current wave of increases includes a large percentage of younger people.  It's reflected in the hospitalizations too.  Leave it not be to me to point a finger at beaches and bars.

Well Jackson is middle ground. Establishments taking it serious, some patrons not so much. 

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

beaches

I’m at a beach currently. 10’ minimum between  umbrellas, as a rule. People are pretty respectful. Restaurants are seated every other table, or with big plexiglass partitions between the booths. But it’s probably one of the most family-focused beach towns that I know of in the mid-Atlantic, so probably one of the tamest.

14 hours ago, Dottles said:

West Yellowstone, MT is not. Tourist town and I was the only one wearing a mask. Pub serving grub had almost zero social distancing. 

You might just drop the West Yellowstone and say Montana.  Wyoming folks are probably very concerned about the uptick in cases.

22 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

You might just drop the West Yellowstone and say Montana.  Wyoming folks are probably very concerned about the uptick in cases.

The hair dresser agreed to see my wife in Jackson and she knew we were out of town from a metropolitan area. All masks. They no doubt want the business but I am impressed at their execution. 

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Montana should be paying attention to Yakima in lessons on what to do and bot do. Well they are starting to anyway. Basically masks. Serious shit going on over there. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/in-yakima-county-as-cases-soar-community-spread-increasingly-drives-the-pandemic/

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

At a 26% positive rate, that leads me to believe that there is a LOT more folks out in Yakima that are positive.  Clearly, that county isn't testing very broadly :(

image.thumb.png.98cce4e5dbce4e4aba744ed24e0b95ef.png

On 6/21/2020 at 2:45 PM, maddmaxx said:

It has been noted in the news that the current wave of increases includes a large percentage of younger people.  It's reflected in the hospitalizations too.  Leave it not be to me to point a finger at beaches and bars.

This is going to be one big chunk of any large increase.  By canceling schools & going virtual, we effectively HALTED the spread via the younger folks out there (college and younger).  Now, as summer opens up, parents loosen their rules, and young folks start socializing in HUGE numbers, they're gonna be a vector to watch.  But hey, they have great immune systems, don't they :whistle:

I’m getting state wide reports now from my local source. 

Walton County

Cases –343 – That is three more cases in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 –358

Gwinnett County

Cases – 5,958 – that’s 205 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 613.5
Total deaths – 161 – that’s two more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 838  – That is 16 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Georgia

Confirmed cases – 62,009 – that is 1097  more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 2,122 – that’s 13 more reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalizations – 9,772 – That’s 109 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 2,636 – That is 31 more deaths reported in the past 24 hours.

Just now, Kzoo said:

That's insane.  My first response would be to question the data.

Less testing = fewer overall positives (many remain undiscovered & spreading) but also higher positive rate. 

What I would want to see is the "number of unique individuals tested" go way up, tests per 100k go way up, and the "positives per test" go way down.  If testing remains low, the testing only focuses on the same folks over and over (doctors, nurses, etc), and/or that positive rate doesn't come down to single digits, then there is a COVID and testing problem in a location.

The numbers in Yakima are scary relative to the whole state, but maybe not versus a denser area like King County?

What worries me about positive percentages going up while testing is increasing, is that it's really a double hammy.

When we were testing fewer people, we were waiting for symptoms to test.  Now that anyone can get tested, not waiting til they think they have it, shouldn't the positive percentage be LOWER?  

There's something unaccounted for here.

8 hours ago, Kzoo said:

That's insane.  My first response would be to question the data.

Actually it's worse -- at least in the last week.  And if you notice, most of it is falling on those <40..  Yakima has ignored most and they're paying the price now.  I have to travel through that part of my state when I go home next Sunday and I can guarantee you I will not be stopping anywhere 200 miles from it. To be clear, this is a huge agricultural area and most of these folks getting it are migrants but the caucasians aren't far  behind.  

https://www.yakimacounty.us/2404/Data-Summary

The current outbreaks can be traced back to Memorial Day according to experts.  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/end-lockdown-memorial-day-add-increase-coronavirus-cases-experts-say-n1231802

Just wait.......there's more outbreaks coming.

CT is forming a consortium with other surrounding states to possibly enforce an immigration ban on visitors from states where the numbers are climbing out of control.  There will be a 14 day quarantine for those who wish to enter.  So if you want to come to visit relatives or go to a wedding, plan on being here for at least 2 weeks.

24 minutes ago, 12string said:

Florida still has a 14 day quarantine if you come from NY/NJ.  I think something is backwards there

EXACTLY! How is that "open for business"?????  Say RG wants to spend some of his $$$ in Orlando, how can a 14 day wait be considered "open"????

8 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Looking at the national numbers, the death rate has hung at 5% despite an increase in testing. I find THAT to be particularly concerning.

To be clear the 5% number is infected mortality.  A known case that dies.  Increased testing will not change that anymore than increased testing will change hospitalizations.  Here in Michigan the infected mortality rate is higher than the national average.  It's 9%.  Our general population mortality rate in Michigan is 0.06%.  With the understanding that there are and were a vast number of unreported cases for a number of reasons, the infected mortality rates are much lower than reported.  That doesn't change the number of deaths but all of these numbers are what epidemiologists need to know to do their jobs better.

If the infected mortality rate is staying at 5% that means we are not figuring out better ways to keep infected people alive.

47 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

If the infected mortality rate is staying at 5% that means we are not figuring out better ways to keep infected people alive.

I see it as the virus is as deadly as feared. We’ve gotten better with our treatments, and our previous sequestration efforts kept it from being 7%, 9% or higher, but as tolerance for those wanes, the virus will match or overcome the advances in treatment that we heave made.

Even a 0.06%

51 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

To be clear the 5% number is infected mortality.  A known case that dies.  Increased testing will not change that anymore than increased testing will change hospitalizations.  Here in Michigan the infected mortality rate is higher than the national average.  It's 9%.  Our general population mortality rate in Michigan is 0.06%.  With the understanding that there are and were a vast number of unreported cases for a number of reasons, the infected mortality rates are much lower than reported.  That doesn't change the number of deaths but all of these numbers are what epidemiologists need to know to do their jobs better.

Do you mean .0006 or .006?

Walton County

Cases –346 – That two more cases in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 –361.1

There was one more death in the nursing home that was not tallied here.

Gwinnett County

Cases –6,507  6,151 – that’s 356 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 659.7
Total deaths – 162 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 862 – That is 13 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Georgia

Confirmed cases – 65,928 – that is 1,227 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 2,155 2,144  – that’s 11 more reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalizations – 9953 – That’s 89 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 2,648 – That is five more deaths reported in the past 24 hours.

18 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I see it as the virus is as deadly as feared. We’ve gotten better with our treatments, and our previous sequestration efforts kept it from being 7%, 9% or higher, but as tolerance for those wanes, the virus will match or overcome the advances in treatment that we heave made.

I'm not sure what you mean by tolerance wanes for sequestration efforts.  I have heard of only a couple nationally reported incidents where someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 did not quarantine for the duration of their symptoms, plus.

And as for the virus matching or overcoming treatment, there's no evidence of that that I've heard.

22 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I'm not sure what you mean by tolerance wanes for sequestration efforts.  I have heard of only a couple nationally reported incidents where someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 did not quarantine for the duration of their symptoms, plus.

And as for the virus matching or overcoming treatment, there's no evidence of that that I've heard.

It means we, as a nation, have grown bored with social distancing efforts. And that the advances in medical treatment are only able to keep us in a status-quo arrangement with the death rates, even as more are tested.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

I have heard of only a couple nationally reported incidents where someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 did not quarantine for the duration of their symptoms, plus.

I don't think that means people aren't doing it.  We just aren't hearing about it.

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I think I mean 0.06% mortality of the population of the state as opposed to a national number of 0.037%

Then can we agree that 0.06% is the same as using a multiplier of .0006?  If I multiply the population of the state by .0006 I should come up with the expected death total assuming that the current situation stays the same as it is now?  Folks mix up decimals and percentages in the same number so often I have to check.  We really are talking about 6 one hundredths of 1 percent here.  That seems to be a very low number based on scientific expectations.

I suspect that it only works because so many people there have yet to be infected and possibly die.

9 hours ago, Further said:

I am hearing a lot of people say fuck it, if I get it I get it. 

They don't like the new normal and willing to opt out.

If there was any chance they could opt out of my world I'd say go for it.  If you live you live.  If not........fuck it.

However the young who are immortal and who think they won't die from catching it will be bagging your groceries and serving your fries and maybe even teaching your children.

But they probably will go nuts over someone who doesn't believe in vaccinations.

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I went to Harbor Freight the other day. Only me and one other customer was masked. The other 20 or so people present were not. This is why the recommendation that excludes the N-95 mask is inappropriate.

Or...a rule for ALL customers to cover their germ ridden mouths and noses???? 

Again, and this is being more and more brought to light, simple steps like 1) facial covering, 2) hand washing, and 3) social distancing ARE the 95% solution. Maybe the 99% solution.  If ALL folks followed those simple rules, the mass spread is far less likely and when it occurs is far less severe.

• Heart 1