COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

My county is now atop of Pennsylvania’s new case rate at 90+ each day the last few days. We’re moving into a green-yellow hybrid stage (blue???) that I assume allows for haircuts but won’t allow for drinking at bars.

Erie County where my boat is just went green and my boat club responded by throwing a party. I wasn’t there, but there were no masks and attempts at social distancing were met with “you’re one of them?” comments. Which is weird considering a lot of them are 60+ year old retirees who shouldn’t want Covid. 

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I read where Hong Kong was dramatically successful in avoiding covid by having a 97% mask wearing rate plus had experience is social distancing from the SARS days.

Not just Hong Kong, but Taiwan, Macau, Singapore, South Korea and China.  Each of those countries managed to get the virus knocked down to the point that a resurgent cell of just a few people was a major event that was quickly locked down again along with detailed contact tracing.

Here, we are beyond the point of contact tracing doing any good in several states and facing another form of lockdown to contain the virus.

July 4th is coming.  August should be interesting.

I can understand people getting concerned about their business when it's their livelihood.  But still, allowing all of those businesses to stay open would have killed people.

But the whole not wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart, reducing social circles, it's all super easy stuff.  At some point (I think the 80's?) we went from All men have rights to I have rights.

And not only does that mean more people die, but it extends the economic damage.

America has just become an incredibly selfish, intolerant, shortsighted stupid society.  I understand how Rome fell

• Heart 1

On 6/2/2020 at 9:30 AM, Razors Edge said:

So, a couple weeks later and we added ~4,000 cases and 121 more deaths.  Significantly few new cases, and hospitalization rate is dropping from 14% down to under 12%, so that likely shows greater testing beyond emergency room cases.  My specific zip code is at 183 total cases, but I can see the deaths.  We do have a senior living center in our zip, so not sure how that has been hit. Plus, our area is popular with older empty nesters, so we likely have an at risk (age-wise) population, but also likely low risk in many other demographic risk factors.

image.png.6f5aac5cc51ba3825ce00d3882b2002b.png

About a month later, 2,600 more cases and 92 more deaths.  Despite being significant, it seems like a slightly downward trend from April and May.

image.png.cdfc33bacbfe730200fede208632291c.png

Walton County

Cases – 399 – That’s 16 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 –416.4.7
Total deaths – 28 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 57 – that’s no more hospitalization reported in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 8,082 – that’s 327 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 832.2
Total deaths – 170 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 1039 – That is 41 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Georgia

Confirmed cases –81,291 – that is 1,874 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 2,289  – that’s 34 more reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalizations – 11,051 – That’s 227 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 2,805 – That is 21 more deaths reported in the past 24 hours.

9 minutes ago, Allen said:

Walton County

Cases – 399 – That’s 16 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 –416.4.7
Hospitalized – 57 – that’s no more hospitalization reported in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 8,082 – that’s 327 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 832.2
Total deaths – 170 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 1039 – That is 41 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Georgia

Confirmed cases –81,291 – that is 1,874 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 2,289  – that’s 34 more reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalizations – 11,051 – That’s 227 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 2,805 – That is 21 more deaths reported in the past 24 hours.

Georgia and Arizona blew past Michigan in total cases.

29 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Please let this be some sort of blip.

I have a feeling that it will be creeping up here, too.  From the Jersey Shore club folks (no masks) to the Gay Pride folks on Sunday night in NYC (not many masks), it is probably gonna end up with a rolling back of the openings.  NYC decided they aren't going to allow indoor restaurant dining in the next phase, not with all the other states getting hammered once they all started hanging out inside together again.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

NYC decided they aren't going to allow indoor restaurant dining in the next phase, not with all the other states getting hammered once they all started hanging out inside together again.

I'd suggest more than the dining is the drinking. Restaurants that open with spaced tables seem a lot safe than the bar area where people sit next to each other and mask-off. PA has now forbidden the consumption of alcohol at bars/restaurants to try to allow for food sales and take-out orders, but without the co-mingling.

Just to cheer you up this gem:

The CDC is now reporting 35.4 million tests completed in the US.  Many of those tests are repeats for people already tested.  Now you can figure out how long it will be before everyone who wants a test can have one.

Just clearing the air of false hopes.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, Dottles said:

Here's how I see this playing out.  They (the government) can't stop it.  It's here and they're just going to let it run its course through society.  People are going to build immunity to it or they're going to die.  That's the plan.

I agree, except many nations' governments have stopped it.  Ours is in self-denial and won't at the federal and some state levels.

Look at what happened during the 1918-19 Spanish Flu pandemic in the USA where idiotic government decisions led to large outbreaks - like the Sept. 1918 Philadelphia War Bonds Parade.  Governments CAN do something.

Australia, Germany and others have virtually stopped it.  Australia's government rents entire hotels and puts active cases there to quarantine,  So you don't have mildly sick victims running to the store, etc.  They've been averaging zero deaths per day for the past two months.

Some American states greatly reduced it while reopening. Mandatory masks have worked when the citizens buy the idea that masks work so anyone in a store without one gets screamed at and chased by the customers. That's the case in Maryland. Anyone in a newscast proclaiming, "No government is going to tell me to wear a mask," is not considered to be a brave rebel as some TV newscasts portray, he's looked at as a fool and a potential infection agent who is to be shunned. THAT is what happens when the governor (GOP in Maryland) and the TV and radio personalities all support a serious fight against it. Maryland had 1707 acute and critical hospitalized COVID-19 patients a little over a month ago.  Now it's 461.

Texas and Florida are getting whacked and STILL no mandatory masks!  BAD leadership.

5 hours ago, donkpow said:

The penalty for non-compliance is an $85 fine.

They're standing in front of establishments with open containers of beer protesting restrictions here. While I would love to see fines handed out, I suspect they won't, and even if written they would not be paid. The only impact that will be felt is the deaths of people in their 20's-50's on a more than sporadic  basis.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, Dottles said:

Here's how I see this playing out.  They (the government) can't stop it.  It's here and they're just going to let it run its course through society.  People are going to build immunity to it or they're going to die.  That's the plan.

10% of the COVID cases have ended in death. 

We're supposed to be comfortable with 33 million people dying in the US just because some numbnuts doesn't want to wear a mask? 

2 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

We're supposed to be comfortable with 33 million people dying in the US just because some numbnuts doesn't want to wear a mask? 

i didn't say that. I think this is partially a societal issue as well as a leadership issue.  I believe most of you who have been reading my posts know the position I take.

:angry:Some young people in Alabama are throwing Covid-19 parties, a disturbing competition where people who have coronavirus attend and the first person to get infected receives a payout, local officials said.

The parties are being held in Tuscaloosa, and infected people are urged to attend so others can intentionally contract the virus, City Council member Sonya McKinstry told CNN. She said she heard about the trend from fire officials.

"We thought that was kind of a rumors at first. We did some research, not only do the doctors' offices confirm it, but the state confirmed they also had the same information," she said.

During a presentation to the City Council this week, Fire Chief Randy Smith also said young people in the city are throwing parties with a payout if they catch coronavirus, McKinstry said.

The first person confirmed by a doctor to have coronavirus after the exposure wins the money made off the ticket sales, she said. Over the past few weeks, there have been several parties in the city and surrounding areas, and probably more that officials don't know about, she added.

3 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

It's easier to surrender if you don't do the math.

And it's not like we don't have pretty much every other country near back to normal prove that it's really not that hard to do.

9 hours ago, Dottles said:

i didn't say that. I think this is partially a societal issue as well as a leadership issue.  I believe most of you who have been reading my posts know the position I take.

No you didn't and I did not mean to imply you did.  I know you would prefer another course of action.  But per Worldometers... 

Capture.PNG.10cab8bc53d07725de74fdd4f12fae4a.PNG

10% of the people with Corona die.  With 330 million people in the US in a scenario where the "solution" is everyone gets the disease where 10% die then the result is 33 million dead.

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's only old sick and infirm old people who didn't have long to go anyway.

Party on Garth.

I saw somewhere that 5% of Floridians age 30-50 admitted for Covid have died. Yes, a lot don’t need hospital treatment, but I think this is an under publicized issue. And the sobering words of FIU Dr. Marty  “Unfortunately, with this disease, we don’t mount a long-lasting immune response. We never have mounted a very good immune response in any of the other six coronaviruses.”

35 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I saw somewhere that 5% of Floridians age 30-50 admitted for Covid have died. Yes, a lot don’t need hospital treatment, but I think this is an under publicized issue. And the sobering words of FIU Dr. Marty  “Unfortunately, with this disease, we don’t mount a long-lasting immune response. We never have mounted a very good immune response in any of the other six coronaviruses.”

Too late.  Buried by meme and the early virus data where nursing homes dominated the stats.  Things have changed, but memes are forever.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Too late.  Buried by meme and the early virus data where nursing homes dominated the stats.  Things have changed, but memes are forever.

Well, the average age of people presenting with infections has drastically changed lately to the mid-30’s, and people are noticing that.  But some people are claiming that as a good thing. 

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Well, the average age of people presenting with infections has drastically changed lately to the mid-30’s, and people are noticing that.  But some people are claiming that as a good thing. 

Some people also think that global warming will produce good beach front property in Canada.

Walton County

Cases – 427 – That’s 10 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 –445.7
Hospitalized – 61 – that’s two more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 8,619 – that’s 257 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 887.5
Total deaths – 173 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 1,119 – That is 41 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Georgia

Confirmed cases –87,709 – that is 3,472 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 2,389 – that’s 32 more reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalizations – 11,500 – That’s 225 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 2,849 – That is 22 more deaths reported in the past 24 hours.

A total of 1,044,722 tests have been performed, 161,483 of them for antibodies.  That is 31,713 test results reported in the last 24 hours, 3,512 of them for antibody tests. Of the tests performed, 8.5 % have come back positive, 9.1 % positive on active cases and 5.4 % on antibody testing. That’s up on the 8.4 % positive in the past 24 hours.

It’s jumping here. 

Walton County

Cases – 442 – That’s 15 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 –461.3
Hospitalized – 62 – that’s one more hospitalization reported in the past 24 hours

Gwinnett County

Cases – 9,085 – that’s 455 new cases reported in the past 24 hours
Cases per 100,000 – 935.5
Total deaths – 173 – that’s no more deaths reported in the past 24 hours
Hospitalized – 1,132 – That is 13 more hospitalizations reported in the last 24 hours

Georgia

Confirmed cases –90,493 – that is 2,784 more cases reported in the past 24 hours
ICU admissions – 2,413 – that’s 24 more reported in the past 24 hours Hospitalizations – 11, 653– That’s 153 more hospitalizations reported in the past 24 hours
Total deaths – 2,856 – That is 7 more deaths reported in the past 24 hours.