COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

I wish our governor would lock us down.  Our cases are rapidly increasing, and too many people just don't get what it means to not interact.  

A lockdown wouldn't systematically change much, it would just force people to DO IT.

I am beginning to resign myself to all of my currently planned trips not happening this year.  But I'm not complaining, I'm still employed for the foreseeable future

We will be locked down on Sunday.  For those of you living in a "shelter in place" what would that mean with regard to driving to an airport to deliver a passenger?

assuming that a major international airport remains open.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

We will be locked down on Sunday.  For those of you living in a "shelter in place" what would that mean with regard to driving to an airport to deliver a passenger?

Your passenger would be a scofflaw.  That would make you an accomplice.

We have a friend who lives with us every other week.  She'll be sheltering in places.  I guess that's legal?

These lockdowns are keeping grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, hardware and auto parts stores open, and anyone who serves them will be working.  It's mostly to shut down places like nail salons who didn't take the suggestions.  Take out food is closed in some places

9 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

Number of cases in Michigan increased 200% over night.  Went from about 100 cases to 300 cases. 

The huge increase is probably due to more testing.

It was 300 cases this morning.  Governor just announced that 550 people in Michigan have been diagnosed with COVID-19.

If saving money on TV is necessary, a $30, amplified, thin-film antenna from Amazon (this is the best one I've used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0831NVCRK/ref=dp_cerb_1) that you tack at the top of a wall or window or run the wire up to the next higher floor for better reception, provided for me excellent, free TV (32 - 48 stations) using broadcast TV alone.  The channels are usually 1080i or 720p except oldies stations showing 480p.

Of course, this works best if you're near a big city - I'm between Baltimore and Washington.

You don't get ESPN, HBO, NFL Network, etc., but you'll get some stations the cable companies do not provide.  Also, a $120/year Amazon Prime membership includes free Amazon Instant Video with thousands of TV shows, movies and documentaries that you can either run directly from your router to a smart TV or run from your computer to your TV with an HDMI cable.

A cousin of mine in NJ has a friend whose son moved to a lower-paying job last year and was struggling to make ends meet.  She called me and asked for the details on the setup I had.  She later said the guy was amazed at how much he saved (of course, he had the highest cost Fios).

Personally, I make lots of long-distance phone calls and low-cost internet is very slow and almost as expensive as Fios now and the Verizon Fios Triple Play (internet/phone/TV) with cheapest TV package only costs me about $50 month more than using regular Verizon phone plus other-source internet and the thin-firm antenna.  But I miss stuff I can't get with Fios and am thinking about putting in a splitter so I can watch broadcast TV occasionally with the thin-film antenna.

I'm ok with Fios now but I remember when, retired for 6 years on bad legs before Soc.Sec. kicked-in, saving $50/month was a big deal to me as it is to a lot of people now.

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

If saving money on TV is necessary, a $30, amplified, thin-film antenna from Amazon (this is the best one I've used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0831NVCRK/ref=dp_cerb_1) that you tack at the top of a wall or window or run the wire up to the next higher floor for better reception, provided for me excellent, free TV (32 - 48 stations) using broadcast TV alone.  The channels are usually 1080i or 720p except oldies stations showing 480p.

Of course, this works best if you're near a big city - I'm between Baltimore and Washington.

You don't get ESPN, HBO, NFL Network, etc., but you'll get some stations the cable companies do not provide.  Also, a $120/year Amazon Prime membership includes free Amazon Instant Video with thousands of TV shows, movies and documentaries that you can either run directly from your router to a smart TV or run from your computer to your TV with an HDMI cable.

A cousin of mine in NJ has a friend whose son moved to a lower-paying job last year and was struggling to make ends meet.  She called me and asked for the details on the setup I had.  She later said the guy was amazed at how much he saved (of course, he had the highest cost Fios).

Personally, I make lots of long-distance phone calls and low-cost internet is very slow and almost as expensive as Fios now and the Verizon Fios Triple Play (internet/phone/TV) with cheapest TV package only costs me about $50 month more than using regular Verizon phone plus other-source internet and the thin-firm antenna.  But I miss stuff I can't get with Fios and am thinking about putting in a splitter so I can watch broadcast TV occasionally with the thin-film antenna.

I'm ok with Fios now but I remember when, retired for 6 years on bad legs before Soc.Sec. kicked-in, saving $50/month was a big deal to me as it is to a lot of people now.

This is what we do.  With Netflox and Amazon prime, we have plenty of passive entertainment.  

The only shortcoming is that you don't get local sports broadcast on FOX Sports.  It is easy to find a site to illegally stream those though

Someone I know sent me a link from this Zach Bush guy.  Supposedly, it is going to be over in a week or so.  I should calm down.  They told me they are taking their kids on play date.

https://www.facebook.com/ZachBushMD/

This Zach Bush guy has a bunch of stuff to sell.  It cures so much.  I should just stop taking my pharma meds.

<groan>

This post is sarcasm.  The guy seems like a quack peddling supplements.

4 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Our organization has just cancelled all leave until July 1st.  Being first resonders they need to ensure we have enough healthy bodies to respond to calls for service.

This throws a huge monkey wrench into our epic 3 week 30th anniversary tour of the north west quarter of the US in June/July  :(

:( 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Our organization has just cancelled all leave until July 1st.  Being first resonders they need to ensure we have enough healthy bodies to respond to calls for service.

This throws a huge monkey wrench into our epic 3 week 30th anniversary tour of the north west quarter of the US in June/July  :(

It’s the end of the world as we know it, but we don’t feel fine. :(

• Heart 2

54 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Not one of their usual heavy rotation songs!

True, but this and Babylon Sisters are two of my favs.  The album that it was released on is possibly one of the more obscure that Fagan ever produced. (Countdown to Ecstasy)   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown_to_Ecstasy

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

MTV!  Steely Dan is like Stevie wonder for me. They were always just background music in the day, but now I am really into both. They stand the test of time easily. 

Stevie wonder does not do it for me.  But Steely Dan?  Yeah, they were background music to me as well but something happens when you get older.  Steely Dan sounds really good.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Stevie wonder does not do it for me.  But Steely Dan?  Yeah, they were background music to me as well but something happens when you get older.  Steely Dan sounds really good.

Stevie's voice is wonderful (PI!) and I love his songwriting.  Hard to believe I was completely blah aboot him for decades.

22 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Stevie is so awesome. Everyone loves Sir Duke, a tribute to our greatest composer.

My friend just got back from Puget sound area.  She talked to me on the phone this morning.  She says..."I have a little bit of a cold."  She was coughing, but no fever.  She asked if I wanted to go for a walk, but maintain distance.  I told her, "Maybe, once you get over your cold, and we can consider that."  Then she coughed more.  She has not been tested.  :unsure::(

I asked that we possibly facetime once a day.  I asked if she needed anything, and if so, I will take it to her in a clean bag and leave it outside of her door.

• Heart 2

Health department is deciding who is sick enough to be tested, not your doctor. This means untested people are being quarantined and treated as positive but not counted in official numbers. This also means that the health department is not even attempting to track where people have been. 

safety is disintegrating quickly. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Allen said:

My brother is not taking this seriously at all. 

I know a few people who are not taking any of this seriously. Wo46 and I were invited to a garage party and cookout yesterday. ...we didn't go. When we were out on our power walk we went through the neighborhood and we only seen 2 cars parked at the party house.