Smartphone apps to track miles/elevation/etc.

TrentonMakes

Didn't really occur to me until today that these are probably out there.  Any recommendations?  I can't figure out why my old Sigma Sport isn't working, but maybe I don't need to bother.

Dozens of them out there.

They all eat batteries.

If you use one, yours is better than all the other ones.

I like me Cateye Wireless and MANUALLY record the info after each ride.

• Heart 2

I like Strava, but I use my Garmin to upload. The Garmin seems far more reliable than the phone Strava. I just use the Strava phone app to talk trash and give out kudos. Well, I also use it to keep an eye on my competition. :whistle:

do you also upload to Garmin Connect?

Compare your rides on both websites, and you'll see that Strava will alter some of the metrics. Often it will change the average speed by .5mph or more. It also shows about 15% less elevation than the Garmin recorded.

Compare your rides on both websites, and you'll see that Strava will alter some of the metrics. Often it will change the average speed by .5mph or more. It also shows about 15% less elevation than the Garmin recorded.

I don't bother with Garmin connect.  I only want to deal with one site.  All my buddies are on Strava, so that works for me.

Since May sometime the elevation for Stava and Garmin Connect has been the same for me.  The average moving speed is almost always less in Strava than Garmin Connect by .1 or .2.  Since almost all my cycling friends on are Strava I go with it.  No big deal.

I use ridewithgps.  Very battery friendly, accurate mileage, super easy upload direct from the app, corrected elevations once uploaded, etc.  Hard for me to imagine there's a better one out there.  Only thing it doesn't do is that whole segments, and KOM/QOM thing that strava has.  Maybe the premium version has more features like that.

• Heart 1

Check.......... the .............battery.

That's the one thing I know is OK.  It works on my MTB but not the road bike, both with similar handlebar mounts (they are not identical, but the contacts all line up).  The one that came with this computer is the one that doesn't work.

That's the one thing I know is OK.  It works on my MTB but not the road bike, both with similar handlebar mounts (they are not identical, but the contacts all line up).  The one that came with this computer is the one that doesn't work.

OK, then I got nothing.  Good luck.

Check the metal contact points.  Sometimes oxidation causes a poor connection.  A pencil eraser or fine sandpaper can remove oxidation from the contact points.

Check the metal contact points.  Sometimes oxidation causes a poor connection.  A pencil eraser or fine sandpaper can remove oxidation from the contact points.

Thanks - but in increasing order of abrasiveness I've tried a pencil eraser, steel wool, and sandpaper.  I have shiny metal top and bottom - I'd think that would be enough, though I could try some dielectric. 

I'm thinking, if I put multimeter probes across the contacts and spun the wheel, I should see a pulse if the wiring is all intact.

I basically use a cateye then record the miles to Bikejournal.com Doesn't keep track of elevation, weather just miles, average speed and you have the option to put what rig you used.

I do have a  Garmin for my mtn. bike.

• Heart 1

Some of the cyclists I know in this area tell me about how they almost beat my time on some segment.

My response is "cool. When you beat my time, let's go ride it together".

KOM/QOMs are a joke for road cycling.

I have 4 pages worth and very few of them are roadie segments.  They are all mountain rides, Baby!

What else ya got?   :)  :D  :P  ;)

I use Strava, when I had an Android it ate the battery, when I use it on my iphone it doesn't.  I logged all seven days of The Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure last month without a problem.  I still forget to turn it on sometimes.  One of the longest, steepest climbs of the week and after I reached the top realized I didn't have it turned on.  I told everyone I was going to have to go back and do it again.  They all laughed, that climb was brutal.  I didn't go back.

• Heart 1