Brought the new toy home

Rattlecan

Cool project!

My brother's trying to complete a buy we're going 50:50 on for one of those tent deals that stretch over a pickup's bed and extends a bit beyond, where the air or heat from the truck can be pulled into the tent.  It supposedly sleeps up to 6.

• Heart 1

Just returned home after spending a week camping in the trailer, and everything went extremely well. the trailer and all it's systems performed flawlessly, and we were blessed with magnificent weather the entire time.

I ran it over a Cat scale on the way out just to see how we did on the weight. It came in a bit higher than I expected, but the car did not complain.

The trailer axle was on the drive axle platform, so 2,160 on the axle and 269 on the tongue. a little over 2,400 lbs.

Pretty tough to find a ready made camper lighter than that.

loaded scale.jpeg

DSCF1056.JPG

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Further said:

Happy it worked out for you, doing something yourself is always more satisfying.

I know there is a ratio of total weight to tongue weight, but I don't know what it is. Did you hit it ?

You want it between 10 and 15% of the total weight of the trailer, so we are good.

• Awesome 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Airehead said:

What will be your first big adventure. 

First adventure already in the books. We were camping for a week at the beginning of this month. Heading out for another this coming Thursday. One week in a provincial park about 3 1/2 hours away.

• Heart 4

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Haven't updated this for a while, but we are getting the trailer ready for a camping adventure next week. Not much left to do on the build, but I did install a window in the door last week.

I shot some video while I was doing it, so when I get some time, I will process that and upload it. I actually have more videos to do on the completion of the kitchen, etc, so maybe I will get that done while we are camping.

The next project will be to add two more solar panels so we can be a bit more self sufficient. I'm going to order those when we return home and hopefully they will arrive in time so I can get them installed in time for our next outing in mid July.

Oh yeah, meanwhile, I also got an external transmission cooler installed on the car. I outsourced that job, although I could have handled it myself, but I didn't really feel like pulling the whole front of the car apart in the driveway, and I was also way too busy with bike wheels and stuff.

Let the fun begin.

E82F345A-3B48-4F55-ABBC-D0514F8E429D.jpeg

E6F608A8-95E7-4D9D-90F3-C918951CA309.jpeg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I really am impressed with this project, Rattlecan!  Makes my pop-up renovation look pretty lame.  😊 

Hope you’re getting the use out of it that you imagined and that you’re having a great time with it!

We have done eight camping trips with it in the last two years and everything has been great.

• Awesome 2

11 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

We have done eight camping trips with it in the last two years and everything has been great.

Perfect!!  I think Mrs Z and I got in four trips this summer/fall and I used it once for a hunting trip during Thanksgiving week.  

Just stowed it for the winter on Sunday. 

So, where all have you taken it?

This is way better than the noob's movie from yesterday, but still thin on plot.  Seeing that this is a sequel, you mostly get a pass on that.  

Needs more explosions, also a beautiful love interest that highlights her inexplicable attraction to you and a willingness to flirt shamelessly until you notice her and finally bed her, James Bond-style.  

Keep at it, you will improve at this whole movie-production thing!

• Heart 1

45 minutes ago, Zealot said:

So, where all have you taken it?

We have stayed within Ontario so far, partly because of the whole Covid thing, and also there are loads of great parks within a four hour drive from home.

Most of our outings have been to provincial parks with one private campground that was very nice.

We have also taken it to my wife's sister's lake house north of Kingston a couple of times. They have room for the whole fam damily to bring our trailers to camp. It's a beautiful spot.

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

We have stayed within Ontario so far, partly because of the whole Covid thing, and also there are loads of great parks within a four hour drive from home.

Most of our outings have been to provincial parks with one private campground that was very nice.

We have also taken it to my wife's sister's lake house north of Kingston a couple of times. They have room for the whole fam damily to bring our trailers to camp. It's a beautiful spot.

Sounds perfect! I bet your parks are beautiful. 

Question, did you install leveling jacks on the trailer? 

4 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Sounds perfect! I bet your parks are beautiful. 

Question, did you install leveling jacks on the trailer? 

No. I use portable screw jacks. I looked at options for permanently mounted jacks, but did not like the idea of mounting them on an aluminum frame. The screw jacks work well enough and are not terribly cumbersome.

• Heart 1