Milk bought in wax cartons lasts longer

MickinMD

This is just a public service because a lot of people I know did not know this until I told them: Milk bought in wax cartons has a much later expiration date than the 1 week or so in plastic containers. Note the expiration date at the top of the photo, bought last week: May 20.  Two months exceptional, but 4 weeks or more from the time bought is typical.

That, of course, is the date for the unopened container. A quart of half-and-half for coffee generally lasts me about 10 days and, once opened, is in danger of going bad in about 14 days - little sour specs appear when poured in coffee. Maybe I'm not antiseptic enough when handling it but it rarely lasts that long! The one shown is my current backup to another full quart. In these times, it's also good to have a non-dairy creamer as a backup.

20200323_085544.thumb.jpg.59975c2f439b7b3481a8cfd3915719bb.jpg

8 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

The biggest reason for the extended shelf life is that the milk is ultra pasteurized. I've seen ultra pasteurized milk in plastic containers that also have long shelf life.

This is true.  I don't think of half and half as milk, plus all the sugar would extend its shelf life.

Not only is that not milk, it's not even half and half...  How can you compare it to milk in any way?  Real milk, that is not ultra-pasteurized, has the same expiration dates whether in plastic or cardboard.  The cardboard should prevent light from ruining the vitamins in the milk, but won't make it last longer.

3 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Not only is that not milk, it's not even half and half...  How can you compare it to milk in any way?  Real milk, that is not ultra-pasteurized, has the same expiration dates whether in plastic or cardboard.  The cardboard should prevent light from ruining the vitamins in the milk, but won't make it last longer.

Yeah, my regular LoL 1/2 & 1/2 is ultra-pasteurized and has a month or two until the use by date.  I'm not a fan of fat free 1/2 & 1/2, since I like just "milk" and "cream" as ingredients.

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, my regular LoL 1/2 & 1/2 is ultra-pasteurized and has a month or two until the use by date.  I'm not a fan of fat free 1/2 & 1/2, since I like just "milk" and "cream" as ingredients.

I hate that they are even calling that stuff half and half... I've purchased it accidentally a couple of times... I'm like, "by definition, this is not half and half, since no part of it is actual dairy cream"

7 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I hate that they are even calling that stuff half and half... I've purchased it accidentally a couple of times... I'm like, "by definition, this is not half and half, since no part of it is actual dairy cream"

What is it?  I ask because I don't drink coffee, and this appears the only use for it.

22 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

While true with the "Fat Free" version, but the regular, both in Aldi's Countryside as well as Land of Lakes brand note that has two ingredients - milk and cream.

3 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

While true with the "Fat Free" version, but the regular, both in Aldi's Countryside as well as Land of Lakes brand note that has two ingredients - milk and cream.

Yes, I was only referring to the fat free "half-and-half".  I do believe that true half-and-half is, in fact, half cream and half milk.

Go into the stores that have waxed carton milk: regular, 2%, 1%, skim and you'll find the same month long shelf life.

Then look at the plastic cartons: 1-2 weeks.

So all the fixation on half and half allegedly not being milk doesn't explain the difference.

Additionally, note that this is NOT the same as European ultra-pasteurized milk.  That stuff can sit on the shelf at room temperature!

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Go into the stores that have waxed carton milk: regular, 2%, 1%, skim and you'll find the same month long shelf life.

So all the fixation on half and half allegedly not being milk doesn't explain the difference.

Additionally, note that this is NOT the same as European ultra-pasteurized milk.  That stuff can sit on the shelf at room temperature!

Zima lasts a long time, just saying...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

If you look at the label, though, you will see the long lasting ones are ultra-pasteurized. The short life ones are regular pasteurized.

The container is likely chosen due to opacity - as in, the long life stuff will still get degraded by light. The shorter life stuff will go bad on it's own before the light degradation affects it, so they can go the super cheap plastic package route.

• Awesome 2

I know that I can taste the difference between milk from plastic and milk from waxed cardboard, the waxed paper tastes much better.

Several of the healthier lifestyle people I know have started wrapping sandwiches and such in wax paper rather than plastic. And glass for anything going in the microwave. 

• Heart 1