Son's flight out in trouble.

maddmaxx

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Hong Kong has shut it's borders including it's airports to foreigners.  My son's flight was JFK to Hong Kong and that's not happening now.

Is there a reason he needs to go NOW? I know China is ramping back up (supposedly), but is the school back to business as usual now? Seems they ought to be pretty aware that things might take a long while to settle down - across the world.

"A Global jet airliner, en route from London to New York on an uneventful afternoon in the year 1961, but now reported overdue and missing, and by now, searched for on land, sea, and air by anguished human beings, fearful of what they'll find. But you and I know where she is. You and I know what's happened. So if some moment, any moment, you hear the sound of jet engines flying atop the overcast—engines that sound searching and lost—engines that sound desperate—shoot up a flare or do something. That would be Global 33 trying to get home—from The Twilight Zone."

• Heart 3

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

School is opening up again.  The students trapped in NJ need to get home and into quarantine.  The teachers need to get back and through quarantine.  At this time it appears that they would be better off in Shenzhen than here.

This makes no sense why the teachers need to be there in person at this time. It sounds like idiocy...selfish, need to make a buck/reimbi/micro-managing style.  If remote online teaching is happening already...

Yeah, when the put on the show for Paramount Leader Xi, they screwed the bat or snake or pooch or whatever.  Let lots of sick people out early and eased up on the testing.  The rush to return to normalcy was not wise.  

I read that China had a plan to this effect, based on some stuff I read about the HK yacht racing and sailing clubs were told to get back to normal as soon as possible.  If they did this for sailing, think about what they did for less elite activities.

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The remote teaching sucks.  40 faces staring at you out of a monitor could be watching a movie for all you know.

So China is confident the virus is gone for students to be in a classroom with teacher?  That Shenzen must have moat around it to prevent people from entering city.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So China is confident the virus is gone for students to be in a classroom with teacher?  That Shenzen must have moat around it to prevent people from entering city.

China is doing the Communist Political Relations Playbook. All is fine. They demanded US players in their professional basketball league to return a week or two ago, else face a lifetime ban from China. Which means the virus isn’t contained, they just want to appear to be in control. Just like Russia.

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It doesn't seem to be worth while to post anything about it here.  Believe what you wish.  No politics are allowed here.

19 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I would hope that we could be skeptical of Communist PR statements here without running afoul of our rules.

One can only counter skepticism with facts and that will involve linking articles, pictures and information on how and why any given meme is being spread and by whom.  That will be political from word one.  I won't touch either of these two threads again.