Prisoners getting infected

Randomguy

Interesting question about what to do with prisoners.  Do you let non-violent prisoners out, now that prisons are getting hit hard with the virus?  Or do you say "No way, they are hyper-infected and will be set free to infect everyone NOT in prison?   

In a way, they are crammed in with the virus, why let that out in the broader population?

Discus.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Interesting question about what to do with prisoners.  Do you let non-violent prisoners out, now that prisons are getting hit hard with the virus?  Or do you say "No way, they are hyper-infected and will be set free to infect everyone NOT in prison?   

In a way, they are crammed in with the virus, why let that out in the broader population?

Discus.

I'm sure, if asked, there is a well thought out and behind the scenes solution in place and active.

You need to stop asking stupid questions.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm sure, if asked, there is a well thought out and behind the scenes solution in place and active.

You need to stop ask stupid questions.

First, there is not a well thought out solution, otherwise they would be doing it.

Second, I ask the best questions in the place, great questions.  Scientists are amazed at my ability to ask great questions.  I am a super stable genius at questions, as everybody knows.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

First, there is not a well thought out solution, otherwise they would be doing it.

Second, I ask the best questions in the place, great questions.  Scientists are amazed at my ability to ask great questions.  I am a super stable genius at questions, as everybody knows.

We have the greatest minds working on this. They're working really hard. And your questions? Your NASTY questions? Well, they're just stupid but what do we expect???

Taking it to a different level on the Federal side, I heard on the news last night that Conservatives were upset that Attorney General Barr is intentionally slowing down trials to avoid large gatherings. While it makes sense, if you can't make bail, you sit in jail and if you made bail and were innocent (they all say they are) it is an issue hanging over your head for an extended period of time impacting personal planning.

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Part of me says too freaking  bad but the prison guards are also at risk.  My initial thought is they should shelter in place and bring resources to them.

The guards at Riker's are virtually indistinguishable from the prisoners, they seem like criminals who just haven't got caught (yet).  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Discus.

I haven't heard of prisoners getting hit.  Baltimore's State's Attorney proposed letting prisoners sentences for non-violent crimes to be released, while the governor didn't like the idea of turning them away from a safe location to the community where the virus is.

If the prisons are getting it.  That changes the whole analysis.  Of course, if you're under 60 and have no other health issues and no health insurance, where would you rather catch it?

We already made a mistake bringing citizens home from Wuhan at the height of the infection there and then bringing passengers from a cruise ship in Yokohama back to this country.  Is it just a coincidence that the two western epicenters of the virus in this country are from the areas that we put them.  If the prisons have Covid then they can serve as a quarantine area.  One would hope that they have learned to pay attention to protecting the staff by now.

This is tough for me.... I work with a lot of these guys.  The prison where I teach is considered a "last stop." You are either a good inmate about to be released, or you are going to die in prison.  You might not have a death sentence, but you are 45 years old serving a 50 year sentence. 

Should a jail sentence of a few years be a death sentence?  These guys do not have the option of social distancing.  Bunks are literally a few feet from each other.  

6 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

This is tough for me.... I work with a lot of these guys.  The prison where I teach is considered a "last stop." You are either a good inmate about to be released, or you are going to die in prison.  You might not have a death sentence, but you are 45 years old serving a 50 year sentence. 

Should a jail sentence of a few years be a death sentence?  These guys do not have the option of social distancing.  Bunks are literally a few feet from each other.  

It's a balancing act between the needs and rights of individuals and the needs and rights of society in general.

3 hours ago, donkpow said:

Actually, I think they could probably isolate new inmates from the current residents. You could do that for a while. That would slow infection rates.

Hmm, maybe not, because of the guards and staff coming in and out.  You bring one case in, then you get a bunch.