All kidding aside... COVID feelings

Square Wheels

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I’m not buying into your supply-side reasoning. 
Interesting article: https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief

Good, I am not selling it.  You keep on believing there should be testing available for 400 million people for a virus that he's been known for four months..  Novo- new. :)  But you know that. 

Locally, we are low on kits.  There is lack of supply.  VA Hospital has 6,  Six.

Not sure if that changed since the other day.  Hospital has the same report.  Don't come unless you are short of breath.  Only people being tested are ones that exhibit symptoms and are really really sick.  

Otherwise, go home and get better.  Stay in your home.

We have never experienced anything like this.  I hope next time, we will be better prepared.  Like, have a lot of excess PPE.  Just i time inventory is NOT working.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Good, I am not selling it.  You keep on believing there should be testing available for 400 million people for a virus that he's been known for four months..  Novo- new. :)  But you know that. 

Cat's kind of out of the bag at this point but it's clear we sucked ass not being prepared to deal with something like this.  I hope next time we've given time and resources to testing stations or whatever to begin testing immediately and trying to get a grip on this thing.  The empty words of the CDC mean nothing.  If testing stations were available early on, this thing could have been better quarantined.  Not a given -- but a WAY better shot.

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Cat's kind of out of the bag at this point but it's clear we sucked ass not being prepared to deal with something like this.  I hope next time we've given time and resources to testing stations or whatever to begin testing immediately and trying to get a grip on this thing.  The empty words of the CDC mean nothing.  If testing stations were available early on, this thing could have been better quarantined.  Not a given -- but a WAY better shot.

I don't dispute the value of testing at all.  I believe a certain Representative from the Bay Area is holding up relief funding.  I hope you get it soon.   Look at the supplies you can't get, masks, gloves, gowns.  Not to mention the breathing apparatus. 

Now, China, hiding and destroying early information set the stage for the pandemic.  It should never have become one. 

My husband, a very rational dude said "I hope if you get sick, that you do it sooner than later."  What he is saying is that if I were to get really sick and need a vent, I may not get one.

Personally, I believe our medical system is poorly set up and the shit storm has not even really hit yet.  I am wondering if serious triage is happening in NYC

Our hospital set up tents in preparation.  Tents.  Hospital sent out patterns for people to dust off sewing machines and make masks.  Homemade masks.  

If this is not sobering, I don't know what is.  

52 K now, I am estimating hitting 100K by Saturday.  Mark it.  I hope I am wrong.  I really do.  

Americans are selfish idiots, mostly.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband, a very rational dude said "I hope if you get sick, that you do it sooner than later."  What he is saying is that if I were to get really sick and need a vent, I may not get one.

Personally, I believe our medical system is poorly set up and the shit storm has not even really hit yet.  I am wondering if serious triage is happening in NYC

Our hospital set up tents in preparation.  Tents.  Hospital sent out patterns for people to dust off sewing machines and make masks.  Homemade masks.  

If this is not sobering, I don't know what is.  

52 K now, I am estimating hitting 100K by Saturday.  Mark it.  I hope I am wrong.  I really do.  

Americans are selfish idiots, mostly.

My wife works in healthcare too and those folks are already on the brink of collapse. There are some inspiring stories though coming out of our communities.  A local furniture and airline parts manufacturer has converted his business into one that simply makes masks and face guards.  It's pretty awesome.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/mukilteo-manufacturer-switches-from-making-couches-to-surgical-masks-to-help-hospitals

Providence Senior Vice President Jennifer Bayersdorfer says for its 51 hospitals, roughly 10 million masks are needed.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My covid feelings are sadness and fear.  

I fear my husband's safety.  I fear my own health and safety.  I fear for everyone's safety.  

Also, I have regret.  I regret not paying better attention. 

But you were and are in a much more remote area.  I and almost everyone else would have done the same.  Stop beating yourself up, please.  

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

And...found out on Sunday that my nephew who lives in NYC has Covid-19 symptoms, but cannot get tested. He’s pretty sure he’s got it, though. I feel disheartened that testing is so limited. 

I hope that means his symptoms aren't too severe at this point. 

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

"I hope if you get sick, that you do it sooner than later."  What he is saying is that if I were to get really sick and need a vent, I may not get one.

I said the same thing in general terms today, but I believe the early phase has already passed. We’re very soon to be in the over run health care capacity stage. And in some areas, we already are.

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We operate in our own little bubbles of comfort.   I do know now that I am in my bubble.  

We have food.  

Our home is safe and warm.

My husband loves me and works hard to protect me.

I don't really need much else, despite thinking I did.

I don't think you did anything wrong.  It's not really a problem until it becomes a problem -- or threatens to become a problem.  Even when nursing homes had folks dying out here I hadn't completely bought in.  It wasn't until they found the teenager high school kid some ten miles away with no relationship to anybody sick test positive for covid-19 that I awoke. From that moment on, I knew it was here to stay. I tried to inform folks in this forum of that and understandably they may have noted it but had a wait-and-see attitude -- exactly what I and most folks would have done.  Besides, there wasn't much they/we could have done anyway.  Just like your husband, my wife works in the medical field so no matter how much precaution we use -- chances are anything that is passed on will come from them.  

25 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't dispute the value of testing at all.  I believe a certain Representative from the Bay Area is holding up relief funding.  I hope you get it soon.   Look at the supplies you can't get, masks, gloves, gowns.  Not to mention the breathing apparatus. 

Now, China, hiding and destroying early information set the stage for the pandemic.  It should never have become one. 

Image result for mc hammer

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Hate is a feeling. Please cease and desist, all your feelz are canceled .

Thank you.

I thought about you as I pushed my thumb through the safety foil on my pill bottle.  I didn't pull the rest off.  Don't care at all that there was foil left on the edges.

I am a savage.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We operate in our own little bubbles of comfort.   I do know now that I am in my bubble.  

We have food.  

Our home is safe and warm.

My husband loves me and works hard to protect me.

I don't really need much else, despite thinking I did.

I think it's possible to be both grateful for the good things we have and still recognize that there is some uncertainty and anxiety that can impact us.   My own concern doesn't diminish the fact that I recognize so many more people are sacrificing on the front line  or are being impacted more harshly.  I'm sure you'll see this more than many with your spouse in the medical field. 

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, roadsue said:

And...found out on Sunday that my nephew who lives in NYC has Covid-19 symptoms, but cannot get tested. He’s pretty sure he’s got it, though. I feel disheartened that testing is so limited. 

yep-- most of the people with symptoms are not getting tested here in NY because there are not enough tests.  Tests being saved for the sickest among us.  This means the NY numbers are artificially low.  At least in my county, they are quarantining people with symptoms but not tested so hopefully this will help.  One of my principals is now in that situation with one healthy child and one sick child plus herself sick.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

yep-- most of the people with symptoms are not getting tested here in NY because there are not enough tests.  Tests being saved for the sickest among us.  This means the NY numbers are artificially low.  At least in my county, they are quarantining people with symptoms but not tested so hopefully this will help.  One of my principals is now in that situation with one healthy child and one sick child plus herself sick.

It’s grievable. The article I linked earlier has helped me understand.

• Hugs 1

The father of one of our daughter’s best friends is in quarantine with symptoms. He lives in Omaha which has the highest amount of cases. It’s hitting home. 
I went home today with aches, sore throat and fever. I feel more like the flu, but the DR office is seeing me tomorrow. My boss is going through treatment for bladder cancer and his immunity is compromised. Staying away from the store at the moment for his safety as well as being the right thing to do. Working from home when I can. 

• Sad 5
  • Hugs 4

17 minutes ago, groupw said:

The father of one of our daughter’s best friends is in quarantine with symptoms. He lives in Omaha which has the highest amount of cases. It’s hitting home. 
I went home today with aches, sore throat and fever. I feel more like the flu, but the DR office is seeing me tomorrow. My boss is going through treatment for bladder cancer and his immunity is compromised. Staying away from the store at the moment for his safety as well as being the right thing to do. Working from home when I can. 

Get well groupw.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Maybe he was basing his guesstimate of early Chinese propaganda. 

I went back and re-read our Jan 25 e-mail exchange. To be honest, I think he’s very fixed on the medical establishment’s take, which in January was that this is a virus that came from eating wild animals and wouldn’t take hold here. 

All this makes me so sad.  Reading RG talk about how to make a ventilator. So many names here talking about it hitting close to home.  PP talking about not feeling well.  Aire's kids in need.

It just sucks.  

My husband is being tapped to work palliative again.  A doc asked him to help and said he is the best palliative nurse he has ever worked with.  What this means is that he will be at bedside when someone is being denied ventilator, and watching people die of suffocation.  He used to do palliative full time, and went to another dept.  It's a depressing job.  

:(

• Heart 1
  • Sad 4
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I went back and re-read our Jan 25 e-mail exchange. To be honest, I think he’s very fixed on the medical establishment’s take, which in January was that this is a virus that came from eating wild animals and wouldn’t take hold here. 

Would you say your brother is more conservative or liberal in his political orientation? Because that seems to have influenced a lot of “early” opinions.

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-19-discovered-us-south-korea/

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Interesting. I would have though a liberal infectious disease physician would have sensed the alarm. But then again, just a week ago 62% of Americans thought our Covid anxiety was overblown.

Most liberals and republicans fall in the ‘moderate’ category, and thus are far more ‘big picture than the alarmist assholes on either fringe that the media loves. 

That said, I am very surprised that a physician wouldn’t at least look at human history with disease and at least sense the potential for a huge problem.   

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Most liberals and republicans fall in the ‘moderate’ category, and thus are far more ‘big picture than the alarmist assholes on either fringe that the media loves. 

That said, I am very surprised that a physician wouldn’t at least look at human history with disease and at least sense the potential for a huge problem.   

And yet sometimes the moderate majority is wrong.

10 hours ago, groupw said:

Hopefully you test positive for flu type A. I have never said that to anyone before. Getting away from the politics and back to the purpose of this thread ( hint, hint to others) — it makes me sad to think that wishing the flu on a friend is the best thing. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Hopefully you test positive for flu type A. I have never said that to anyone before. Getting away from the politics and back to the purpose of this thread ( hint, hint to others) — it makes me sad to think that wishing the flu on a friend is the best thing. 

It’s crazy, but you’re right. My Dr office has created a separate respiratory wing inside their office. I’m glad they are isolating the patients, but caused a little more concern for me. The lady who came in behind me sounded awful! Luckily we did not ride the elevator at the same time. I’m more concerned about being exposed to her than what I am carrying!

2 hours ago, groupw said:

It’s crazy, but you’re right. My Dr office has created a separate respiratory wing inside their office. I’m glad they are isolating the patients, but caused a little more concern for me. The lady who came in behind me sounded awful! Luckily we did not ride the elevator at the same time. I’m more concerned about being exposed to her than what I am carrying!

I hear that.... If I get sick. I'll die at home before i go to a hospital.

My feelings now are extreme anger.  CDC has lowered the guidelines for face masks.  Medical staff can now use a bandana, when supplies run out.

Bandanas do not really provide protection.  

Had a talk with my husband about this mask thing.  I asked about this inventory shortage.  He said that you can't really stock up on that, because they have a shelf life.  The elastic or rubber degrades.  This whole thing just blindsided the world.  Our medical workers are working like staff in a 3rd world disaster zone.

I don't even have the energy to say my usual word.