Post a pic of your current home office.

jsharr

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Can you go get one?  Seems essential to me.

No. We're not allowed into the school building during the next two weeks as the custodial staff deep cleans and sanitizes. The directive is that custodial would have to re-disinfect areas that we enter during this time.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Why do you all need more than one monitor? 

It really helps if you are working on something where you might be looking at two different documents at the same time, or sometimes looking at one thing and updating notes on the other screen.  I've been multiple monitors for well over a decade now and I am freaking lost when I have to use one.  But it's a huge productivity boost.

And if things are slow, forum up on one window and email up on the other.

I only brought home one monitor.  My desk is literally the kitchen table.  We don't have things like desks and home offices in my home. 

And Sue's work clearly has it together.  Mine was still giving a tour yesterday, after a state order to close.  No kidding.

Have no idea about disinfecting going on. and people are still having access to offices and buildings.  I am told that I must report in, if they need me to.   

...and my stomach hurts today. Still no high temps.  This is likely nerves.

• Hugs 2

4 minutes ago, roadsue said:

To view multiple files at one time. When I'm designing a safety valve, I have an Excel design workbook, spring design software, Solidworks, drawings &/or documents of similar products for comparison. Sometimes four would be better. When I'm doing costing/estimating we use a program called Mircro Estimating, but again I need various other documents to be viewable. I've had to stretch some spreadsheets over two monitors to read all the crap on it. Today I have two or three Excels open. In the days before multiple monitors, I found myself printing things oot to have as a reference. There were times I'd have an E size drawing(s) hanging on my wall to look at :blink:

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

To view multiple files at one time. When I'm designing a safety valve, I have an Excel design workbook, spring design software, Solidworks, drawings &/or documents of similar products for comparison. Sometimes four would be better. When I'm doing costing/estimating we use a program called Mircro Estimating, but again I need various other documents to be viewable. I've had to stretch some spreadsheets over two monitors to read all the crap on it. Today I have two or three Excels open. In the days before multiple monitors, I found myself printing things oot to have as a reference. There were times I'd have an E size drawing(s) hanging on my wall to look at :blink:

And still pulling out a magnifying glass, at least that is/was me for schematics.  Though still times printed works better.

• Heart 1

Just now, Indy said:

Though still times printed works better.

Very true.  For me checking things printed oot is easier, and I see errors better than on screen. Specially with complicated drawings. In 2012 we launched a safety valve program with five valves. Common components (typical if feasible), but the valve bodies were subtly different. In this case, I print the drawings oot and compared them side-by-side. Because I would find myself approving 2 drawings, then finding an error on the third, which was also on the first and second :angry: When they're all laid oot, I can hop between drawings. I check the similar feature on each drawing, as opposed to checking the drawings complete one at a time. For me this works.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Very true.  For me checking things printed oot is easier, and I see errors better than on screen. Specially with complicated drawings. In 2012 we launched a safety valve program with five valves. Common components (typical if feasible), but the valve bodies were subtly different. In this case, I print the drawings oot and compared them side-by-side. Because I would find myself approving 2 drawings, then finding an error on the third, which was also on the first and second :angry: When they're all laid oot, I can hop between drawings. I check the similar feature on each drawing, as opposed to checking the drawings complete one at a time. For me this works.

Yeah, basically I find it easier to visually scan a printed drawing then one on a screen because you have to zoom in to see anything, so you can't see the entire picture in detail.  Then once I locate an area I want to locate at closer, I have it up on the screen and can zoom into that section.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I have a plug into the wall wifi extender that has an ethernet port on it.  I am getting 300 Mbps on wifi, so no need to use it, but it might be an option for you.

Thanks. But we've gotten used to the wire draped over all the doors in our hallway. ;) 

Just tested our internet speed on my laptop. Download speed is down to 2.83 Mbps with most people on our street working from home.  Sadly here in Hooterville, this is our best option. And believe me, we've been looking for something better for 20 years. 

36 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I work on multiple things at the same time.  Nice to be able to have my accounting software and my bank accounts open at the same time.

Or to have spreadsheets open on both screens, or to have a spreadsheet on one screen and a word docuemnt on another when I am filling out forms.  Stuff like that.  Much more productive.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I sort of wish now I had taken the pair of 4k 32" displays instead of my normal pair of Dell monitors.   May get them when I have to go check mail next week.  

I have curved 23"s at work & flat 23"s at home (actually they are still in the boxes since I'm not WFH). I think 32"s would be too massive unless I could move them back a little.

56 minutes ago, Indy said:

It really helps if you are working on something where you might be looking at two different documents at the same time, or sometimes looking at one thing and updating notes on the other screen.  I've been multiple monitors for well over a decade now and I am freaking lost when I have to use one.  But it's a huge productivity boost.

And if things are slow, forum up on one window and email up on the other.

I keep two tabs open when I'm scoring student work that's been turned in electronically. One for the essay and one with the grade book. But it would be nice to have full-screen reading ability.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Brought the PC home last night from the office, as it has all my shortcuts and bookmarks and everything on it and I do not like working for long periods on my laptop.  Setup a folding table in a corner of the bedroom and I will be spending a few hours a day here.   Cannot see need to be here 8 hours a day, but we will see.

Figuring out printing and scanning may be fun.  Probably going to need to buy a multi function machine for the house.  

15850577898717336295793972081378.jpg

Dude...your keyboard!

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I only brought home one monitor.  My desk is literally the kitchen table.  We don't have things like desks and home offices in my home. 

And Sue's work clearly has it together.  Mine was still giving a tour yesterday, after a state order to close.  No kidding.

Have no idea about disinfecting going on. and people are still having access to offices and buildings.  I am told that I must report in, if they need me to.   

...and my stomach hurts today. Still no high temps.  This is likely nerves.

Same here. Kitchen table office. My place is small. 

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

We have a home office but it is my wifes main office as often her work is run from home.  There is not enough room for both of us there and both our jobs often require long phone calls.  The odd time I have worked from home, if she is working too I work at the kitchen table to keep the cross talk from simultaneous phone calls to a minimum. 

Surfing is not an issue, my laptop is a work computer so this place is about as daring a place I am willing to venture.  Home surfing is done on a tablet usually while sittng next to her on the couch

Unfortunately, if 1 of us has to have a long, work conversation or Skype meeting, the other person leaves the room.  So it helps to have laptop set up somewhere else, a 3rd computer.  I normally can't have a 2nd monitor set up at home for myself.  It's just not good ergonomically in the positioning at home.

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Some of us do work which requires multi-tasking between 2 or 3 different software applications.  Or using a digital, detailed document as a reference online to do work within same or different software application.  

So I develop training content:  so it's having Word open, then launching electronic document management system to execute a functional step, then launching Snag-IT software, to do screen captures of software to adjust/add symbology and /cut-paste into Word document.  A very simple illustration.

Other time a person launches software, executes a function and then system  auto- launches other different software (not MS Office) for  you to work in.   I probably have 4-5 software applications open simultaneously as normal.

when I supported technical CAD staff, they get a bit  antsy, if you interrupt them working on multi-layers in AUTOCAD..

So all this, it helps to have 2 screen monitors.

10 minutes ago, 12string said:

My office:

office1.jpg

Well, there have been times where there are 3 computers squished in same area at home.  Dearie's 2 laptops are his..which I don't have a problem because I dislike working on laptops for many hrs.  : not good ergonomically for me. for 1 hr. or so, is ok.  His laptops are configured for son's butcher business in software applications with auto-synching to cloud..which I personally don't use cloud service at home.  

In 1 of the cities, we have 5 computers... varying ages and sizes.  Honest, I personally wouldn't want it.  But he does want to help his son's business...  He even on vacation trips, will use a little ipad to check on stuff at the store.  

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

3 laptops, 5 keyboards, 4 mice.  I keep banging harder on the keyboard because nothing's happening then noticing some bizzare stuff on another computer.  Much easier at work when I can get enough screen space form one computer

I have had the problem in the past that I've needed three to four computers at once just for the processing power.

I have moved venues.......  one of my guys has a number of things on his list to prep for the next course that he needs to be at the office for, so he will be there for the next week or so.  With my next major tasks all largeky being administrative, I packed up my laptop and moved home, so am now working at the kitchen table.

• Heart 1

Mine was sort of like that yesterday.  My big project right now is our audit and it is on hold for a few days so I have a fair amount of free time.  Monitor email and calls on my cell, but Ryan cleaned out the gutters and I got all the leaves and acorns off the front porch.  

Got the computer working on the road bike that Ryan "earned" for achieving First Class rank in Scouts.  It is my old 2005 Trek 1200

Also mowed and bagged the back yard.  It is a mess right now, but a bit better after the hair cut.

Will work on the front and side yards today after lunch.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Chris... said:

everytime I do that it reverts back to 1 when I restart

Yeah, mine does the same, but on a rather intermittent/random basis. Sometimes when I just restart it in situ, sometimes after I've taken it home & used it without external monitors then plug it back up.