How long should the little flapper valve last in the toilet tank?

2Far

23 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Depends. The less expensive models don't last very long at all. I make a point to get the best they have. I get 5-10 years.

Yep. And it seems heavier/denser is better.  I'm not even sure what goes "bad" with them, since when I swap one out, it looks like the new one. 

At this house we have never had an issue. A few years ago we replaced both toilets with taller toilets because my wife was having trouble getting up from the standard toilet. The old toilets still functioned perfectly. Evidently our toilets like our well water. We have lived here 27 years.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seems most folks with kids use a little step to get kids up to sit or even plop them up there themselves.  Seems a 1% of situations dictating how the 99% end up living :(

Of course there is the other concept of the “squatting potty” where you have a very low toilet that is supposedly a more natural position to let the poop come out. Lol

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Of course there is the other concept of the “squatting potty” where you have a very low toilet that is supposedly a more natural position to let the poop come out. Lol

Edge is a genteel Washington based person.  The poop would never fail to come out.

• Haha 2

So, in discussions with Wo2 last night, it appears that toilet's internals were not upgraded 2 years ago when we had the new toilet put in downstairs and upgraded innards put in the other upstairs toilet.

So, I guess the flapper function failed at about the 13 year mark.