Covid era cafe

Dirtyhip

and recipe:

1 and a 1/2 cup of warm water/not hot (100-113 F  - ish)  

1 tbsp yeast

2 tbsp oil (avocado is what i use)

1 tsp salt

about a handful of oat junk (soaked oats that are ground up and pressed)

2 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp vital gluten flour

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

About 3+ cups bread flour (you may need to add more or less depending on humidity)

1 egg yolk, and one tbsp of water

raw sesame seeds

----

Mix water with yeast and sugar, let sit for 10 minutes (If it doesn't foam, you have bad yeast, start over with fresh yeast)

Once mixture is foamy, add salt, oil, and quickly whisk in the oat scraps.  

Quickly whisk in the whole wheat and vital gluten.  Do not over whisk.  

Using a firm spatula stir in bread flour.  You want a semi soft dough that is not sticky, but bounces back when you poke it.

Cover with a wet cloth or tea towel (chuckle), and rest for an hour.  

Once dough has doubled, pull out the dough onto a lightly floured board.  Separate into about 11-12 buns.  You can choose the size you like.  

Round the buns into a somewhat flat bun and place on cooking sheet.  

Cover with the wet tea towel for about 45 minutes or more if you have a really cold home.  They should about double again.

Set oven to 400F/Bake

whisk the egg yolk with water.  Baste the buns with the egg water and top with sesame seeds.

Bake for about 20-30 minutes/or until the buns are browned and all puffed up, much like the boys in a .  

@Allen @Old#7 @12string

Note on oat junk:  soaking 3/4 cup of oats overnight, then press through an Omega juicer. You should be left with enough for this recipe. No cow necessary.  I assume you can use instant oats for this purpose, if you aren't into making oat milk.

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Pass the bread please and the butter and honey while you are at it.

Yes!  

I made some oat cookies too.  I am currently hiding them in recycled veggie bags to be parceled out over the next few weeks.  I am smart and protecting my husband from himself.  LOL

Shhhhhh.  Don't tell.  

• Heart 2

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Yes!  

I made some oat cookies too.  I am currently hiding them in recycled veggie bags to be parceled out over the next few weeks.  I am smart and protecting my husband from himself.  LOL

Shhhhhh.  Don't tell.  

I have cut way back on eating since this craziness started.   Very little snacking.  Breakfast was a small bacon, egg and cheese breakfast pizza.  Lunch was a PB&J.  Have had two cups of coffee and a few glasses of water.

About to shut down the home office and go out and mow the yard and soak up some rays.

Not yet.  I have a jar in the fridge.  We have not bought giant amounts of anything, as I was concerned about being selfish.  

My sourdough mother is in the fridge, We will see if she can be my yeast.  I think we would need much more time for making bread with just using that.  My usual loaf uses only 1/4 tsp.

@Dirtyhip you are an inspiration to others. Those rolls look awesome. I will have to try your recipe. My first attempt didn’t turn out as well. But I will try again. The oat milk/oat junk is intimidating as I’ve never tried it. I will research that. I need to start a new sourdough mother; maybe this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Look delicious!  Are you having any trouble getting yeast?  Some of my friends who actually cook mentioned it was sold out near them.

In my cooking group people are panicking for yeast and many have started a sour dough mother. 
I, like @Dirtyhip, already had a jar in the freezer. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Old#7 said:

@Dirtyhip you are an inspiration to others. Those rolls look awesome. I will have to try your recipe. My first attempt didn’t turn out as well. But I will try again. The oat milk/oat junk is intimidating as I’ve never tried it. I will research that. I need to start a new sourdough mother; maybe this weekend. 

Awww, thanks  You are an inspiration to me, in your restraint and patience with the nutcases in your family.

• Awesome 1

I used that pack of ground beef to make meatballs.  

We are having spaghetti and meatballs with some San Marzano tomatoes, and a small bottle of Merlot that i had lying around.  It was from one of those cheap 4 packs of wine.  

Winged the recipe.  Hope it tastes good

LOL