Crate Training a Dog

Forum Administrator

This whole stay at home thing is really messing with the new dog. When we were working there were very few issues. I had a great schedule that was working wonders. That's all out the door now.

I understand the crate should not be a punishment. I swear that every day we are home, he turns into a holy terror right about noon.  I got upset on Monday and put him in the crate. The little guy laid down and went almost straight to sleep for about two hours. Yesterday, he started and I put him in the crate right away.  Today, I put him in the crate before he acted up and he took a long nap.

My dog is a toddler who needs to be forced to take a nap every day. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Forum Administrator said:

This whole stay at home thing is really messing with the new dog. When we were working there were very few issues. I had a great schedule that was working wonders. That's all out the door now.

I understand the crate should not be a punishment. I swear that every day we are home, he turns into a holy terror right about noon.  I got upset on Monday and put him in the crate. The little guy laid down and went almost straight to sleep for about two hours. Yesterday, he started and I put him in the crate right away.  Today, I put him in the crate before he acted up and he took a long nap.

My dog is a toddler who needs to be forced to take a nap every day. 

Me too..I wish someone would crate me

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Not only did he need a nap, but you put him in a 'safe place' where he could nap without danger or an interruption.

We call Geno’s crate his “small home within our home”. He happily goes in any time we go out.  But he doesn’t need it otherwise, he can nap anywhere by now!

3 hours ago, sheep_herder said: