Wouldn't it be nice

Ralphie

You know, as far as I am concerned, when civilization turned away from Earth centered deities for their worship, we sealed our own fate. Back pedaling to return to an ethos that does not exploit natural resources is now nearly impossible. At least that's what Gee-Gee says.

• Haha 1

I hate to rain on your parade but...

It appears that gasoline consumption could be down 55% in March which is environmentally good  but...   Assuming this new reality continues (which is most likely will) then there will be a new problem.

Oil refineries either make gas, diesel, and other fuels or they don't.  There is not much of a middle ground for refinery production, just about all or nothing.  If consumption of fuels is down for a few months the problem is, eventually there will be no place to store the products of the refineries make and then they would need to shut down.   I'd assume some may never restart, just like the small business that are closed now.  Prices for fuel will be cheap for a while, that may kill off other parts of the industry too.  

And then, when things get back to a new normal, we may not have enough refinery capacity for the fuel we need, and the prices will increase to high levels again.  Who knows... we could think $5 gas is cheap after this all ends.

Time will tell.

• Heart 2

Just now, Bikeguy said:

It appears that gasoline consumption could be down 55% in March which is environmentally good  but...   Assuming this new reality continues (which is most likely will) then there will be a new problem.

Oil refineries either make gas, diesel, and other fuels or they don't.  There is not much of a middle ground for refinery production, just about all or nothing.  If consumption of fuels is down for a few months the problem is, eventually there will be no place to store the products of the refineries make and then they would need to shut down.   I'd assume some may never restart, just like the small business that are closed now.  Prices for fuel will be cheap for a while, that may kill off other parts of the industry too.  

And then, when things get back to a new normal, we may not have enough refinery capacity for the fuel we need, and the prices will increase to high levels again.  Who knows... we could think $5 gas is cheap after this all ends.

Time will tell.

Elon is your friend. Embrace him.

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Time will tell.

Yup, that is a big thing to keep the economy going, and we haven;t done anything like this because of the pain of change.  But our hand has been forced now.  Short term will be absolutely miserable for most of us no matter what we do, I am thinking longer term for our young people 'cause I'll be dead anyhoo.

It is a double whammy for oil jobs - this PLUS the Putin/Saudi Arabia oil price war started right smack dab in the middle of it.  This has to absolutely kill US shale oil and therefore the economy of the oil regions plus the ripple effect.  Previously Saudi Arabia was hesitant to crash the western economy, but I don't think Putin has any such qualms, probably quite the opposite.

20 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Time will tell.

That's a strange argument. We should drive more and pollute more to save the refinery business? 

On the other hand, if gas prices rose, people might be inclined to drive less and pollute less. Or buy more fuel efficient cars. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

That's a strange argument. We should drive more and pollute more to save the refinery business? 

On the other hand, if gas prices rose, people might be inclined to drive less and pollute less. Or buy more fuel efficient cars. 

I'm thinking about a new car.

e93f287f02ebf19327f0d309b7569627.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dennis said:

hat's a strange argument. We should drive more and pollute more to save the refinery business? 

I'm not suggesting we save the refineries.  I'm suggesting that we are nowhere near ready to move to other forms of fuel (most likely electricity) for transportation.  How many fast charging stations are there in most towns, or cities or even homes?  If you go with fuel cells, it's not like there are many hydrogen stations anywhere (except for some locations in California).

So in the meantime...  we will still need gas and diesel for transportation.   In the short term, the fuel prices will continue to go down.   And this pandemic could cause long term issues for refinery production. 

Cheap fuel... that has helped many to justify to go out and by a SUV rather than electric cars or even just a regular car.   I'll keep my Prius for a while.

When I built my new home, one thing I insisted on was a 240 V circuit to the garage, with enough amps for car charging.   The builder and electrician both didn't think that was necessary.  I think it eventually will be used.  

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I'm not suggesting we save the refineries.  I'm suggesting that we are nowhere near ready to move to other forms of fuel (most likely electricity) for transportation.  How many fast charging stations are there in most towns, or cities or even homes?  If you go with fuel cells, it's not like there are many hydrogen stations anywhere (except for some locations in California).

So in the meantime...  we will still need gas and diesel for transportation.   In the short term, the fuel prices will continue to go down.   And this pandemic could cause long term issues for refinery production. 

Cheap fuel... that has helped many to justify to go out and by a SUV rather than electric cars or even just a regular car.   I'll keep my Prius for a while.

When I built my new home, one thing I insisted on was a 240 V circuit to the garage, with enough amps for car charging.   The builder and electrician both didn't think that was necessary.  I think it eventually will be used.  

My main point was we drive way more than we really have to, and I think it would be cool if we could stay home like this!

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My main point was we drive way more than we really have to, and I think it would be cool if we could stay home like this!

I totally agree... we do indeed drive way too much.  Hopefully the trend continues, after the virus.   It sure would help to make riding on the roads a bit safer. 

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

Our LGS has 8 charging stations.

Good luck trying to find a charging station at any LGS anywhere near me, or any charging station near me.  

I hope they will be installed.  But I just don't see that happening at a very fast pace any place close to my area.   

On 3/28/2020 at 10:26 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

If we could run the world in this environmentally friendly manner but have the economy function too?  That is what I have been lusting after philosophically for years. It could not be this extreme of course, just splitting the difference would be awesome. 

I read an article about "living with nature" as the original natives of Maryland once did.  It concluded you'd need to cut the state's population from 6,000,000 to about 250,000 in order to do so today.

As the first president of the Maryland Waste Coalition - the RCRA Act-recognized official statewide citizens' watchdog group formed in the '80's, I'm sure it could be done with the current population, though it would require a small downgrade to convenience and, unfortunately, the avg. American is an ignorant know-it-all who is afraid of environmentalism will cost jobs.

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I read an article about "living with nature" as the original natives of Maryland once did.  It concluded you'd need to cut the state's population from 6,000,000 to about 250,000 in order to do so today.

As the first president of the Maryland Waste Coalition - the RCRA Act-recognized official statewide citizens' watchdog group formed in the '80's, I'm sure it could be done with the current population, though it would require a small downgrade to convenience and, unfortunately, the avg. American is an ignorant know-it-all who is afraid of environmentalism will cost jobs.

We're working on it.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'm suggesting that we are nowhere near ready to move to other forms of fuel (most likely electricity) for transportation.  How many fast charging stations are there in most towns, or cities or even homes?  If you go with fuel cells, it's not like there are many hydrogen stations anywhere (except for some locations in California).

No offense, but have you looked back to 2000?  How many hybrids or full electric cars were rolling around? We got the Pris in 2000.  We got the Tesla Roadster in 2008 & the S in 2012.  This sort of effort takes a little while to ramp up, but eventually a critical mass is achieved and the "electric" car simply becomes the car.

It's sort of crazy to think 20 years is a fair window for EVs to catch, surpass, and make obsolete ICE vehicles.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:49 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The total miles driven my WoBG and I is down 64% for the month of March, compared to last year.   If this continues, we can probably quality for a low mileage discount for our car insurance.