Do you have any MREs?

Airehead

Nope.  In the navy when we had situations where watchstanders couldn't go to meals a box lunch was delivered.  That would be something like a chunk of roast beef on white bread, a carton of milk and perhaps a cookie.  Some days during special weapons handling we would be on duty for more than 12 hours straight.  Some days if there were hangups in procedure the containers moved with a glacial slowness.  Everything has to be checked and double checked every step of the way.

It's been about 28 years since I last had a MRE. Back in the 1970's I had some old school rations in a can. Horrible. MRE's are a big improvement.

Around 1990 the RAF Upper Heyford commissary would have MRE's that were about to expire on sale for around $2 each. I'd buy some for my kids lunches. They thought it was a big adventure to eat them. It was.

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

It's been about 28 years since I last had a MRE. Back in the 1970's I had some old school rations in a can. Horrible. MRE's are a big improvement.

Around 1990 the RAF Upper Heyford commissary would have MRE's that were about to expire on sale for around $2 each. I'd buy some for my kids lunches. They thought it was a big adventure to eat them. It was.

How many years old do they have to be to be about to expire? Don’t those keep forever? I found a bunch of them in my father in law’s basement when I was cleaning it out. They were all dusty and nasty looking on the outside. I opened a couple to see what they looked like. They appeared to be fine, I pitched them anyway.

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How many years old do they have to be to be about to expire? Don’t those keep forever? I found a bunch of them in my father in law’s basement when I was cleaning it out. They were all dusty and nasty looking on the outside. I opened a couple to see what they looked like. They appeared to be fine, I pitched them anyway.

MREs around 5 years at room temp. More if kept refrigerated and less in hot temps.

C-rats (AKA MCIs)? Not sure but I wouldn't want to eat a new one.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

MREs around 5 years at room temp. More if kept refrigerated and less in hot temps.

C-rats (AKA MCIs)? Not sure but I wouldn't want to eat a new one.

I remember my oldest brother who served from 69-72 said he ate c rats that were older than him!  I still have the P38 he kept from Nam he gave me in 1984 before I shipped out on my keychain.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

On one of my son’s deployments he was out in the field making a video for us called “A day in the life” when the MREs were delivered. He opened them up and tore into them like they were really good. He is quite the good actor.

They get tiresome quickly when you have to eat them daily but they aren’t really that bad.  Yeah I suppose in a deployment they would really get old, I never had to eat them more than a month or so at a time.

I used to love the dehydrated peaches that came with them. You are supposed to pour some water in the pack & rehydrate them but I  would pop them in my mouth dry and crunch then like dry sweet candy. 

• Heart 2