Online food shopping/delivery sites?

Randomguy

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I suppose I could order some things online that I would have to hork around, so I don't have to hork them around so much.

Do you get groceries delivered?  Who do you use?

I've ordered from my local grocery store and picked it up. It was pretty easy. A couple of things were out of stock.

I've been ordering some things from a local farm for about six months. Huckleberry skyr is awesome.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Not even available in our town.  Closest thing is click list where you do a list and then pick it up.  No one will deliver your groceries.  That sounds like big city behavior.

Our LGS here in the suburbs has a shop from home program.  We've never used it, but it is popular.  I don't know what the cost is.  I think they do delivery.

Here we go. Seems very odd that delivery costs just $1 more than pickup.:wacko:

How much does ShopRite shop from home cost?
FOR PERSONALIZED SERVICE: SHOPRITE FROM HOME
ShopRite charges a $5 service fee (for finding and packing groceries) and a $6.95 delivery fee for orders less than $150 (zero after that); curbside pickup costs $5.95.

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Not even available in our town.  Closest thing is click list where you do a list and then pick it up.  No one will deliver your groceries.  That sounds like big city behavior.

Maybe not just big city.  Stop and Shop Grocery is a large chain out here.  They have a grocery service called Peapod.  You can either order and pick up or order and have it delivered.  We used it several years ago when womaxx was the conservator for her shut in sister.

I am using this service to send food to my dad--- almost all the slots for delivery were full.  I cannot have them delivered to him until a week from today (next Sunday).  On Tuesday my brother will pick up stuff I ordered and take it to him.  I am really worried my dad isn't eating well being all alone.  I am hoping the new puppy makes him remember why he needs to be healthy.  He is not used to staying home and it is driving him nuts.

• Sad 1

We have several including the national chains and regional chain.  However last wk. they were all booked up.

In a way, I'm not surprised..our suburbs are far flung out with suburban sprawl galore...and 14 new communities to be built over the next few years or so. There's probably a lot of people with limited ability, no one to look after them....our society in North America have smaller families, greater loneliness... And sure even in the inner city.  We have to also remember there a lot more people who don't have children...where in the past if they lived close by, might deliver groceries.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I am using this service to send food to my dad--- almost all the slots for delivery were full.  I cannot have them delivered to him until a week from today (next Sunday).  On Tuesday my brother will pick up stuff I ordered and take it to him.  I am really worried my dad isn't eating well being all alone.  I am hoping the new puppy makes him remember why he needs to be healthy.  He is not used to staying home and it is driving him nuts.

2 siblings take turns buying groceries for my mother. Before this pandemic, she would have joined a sibling in the car ride.  But this has not happened for now 2 months.  She cooks healthy but we are afraid one day there will be some sort of accident.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

I always like getting good looks at the meat and produce I pick up, have no walking problems, and have been retired since online grocery apps came into existence, so I walk the aisles.

It's beginning to return to normal in my area now, but last Thursday I had a conversation with an old acquaintance I met in a store and we agreed you'd have trouble ordering online recently because you didn't know what was in stock.  For example, you may want ground beef that's sold out but there are two packages of top round steak available you could substitute if you were there and saw it.  You may want tomato soup that's sold out, but you don't want to substitute the $5 cans of organic tomato soup still available.

4 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'm not lazy. I stop at the store on the way home from work, or ride the fatso there :)

13 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I always like getting good looks at the meat and produce I pick up, have no walking problems, and have been retired since online grocery apps came into existence, so I walk the aisles.

It's beginning to return to normal in my area now, but last Thursday I had a conversation with an old acquaintance I met in a store and we agreed you'd have trouble ordering online recently because you didn't know what was in stock.  For example, you may want ground beef that's sold out but there are two packages of top round steak available you could substitute if you were there and saw it.  You may want tomato soup that's sold out, but you don't want to substitute the $5 cans of organic tomato soup still available.

It's not about being lazy or having the ability to walk. It's about social distancing.

Shopping for groceries online isn't perfect. My store allowed you choose accept substitutions or not for each item. They subbed one item, bagged coffee instead of bulk. I hadn't realized they shut down the bulk section. I still got coffee. 

I placed an order for my mother last week. She picks her order up today. It took a few days. Big deal.

This isn't just about us. It's about everyone trying to help flatten the curve. 

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

It's not about being lazy or having the ability to walk. It's about social distancing.

Shopping for groceries online isn't perfect. My store allowed you choose accept substitutions or not for each item. They subbed one item, bagged coffee instead of bulk. I hadn't realized they shut down the bulk section. I still got coffee. 

I placed an order for my mother last week. She picks her order up today. It took a few days. Big deal.

This isn't just about us. It's about everyone trying to help flatten the curve. 

I'm just trying to give RG the business :)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Do you get groceries delivered?  Who do you use?

I don't use them, but clearly Instacart is the "agnostic" option, while each grocery chain will have its own branded (like Peapod) or not branded (like Walmart - pickup or delivery) or the Amazon route.

Just now, Zephyr said:

A lot of my groceries are rough ingredients, fruit, veggies, meats, fish etc.  I would not want someone else picking out my produce.  

My wife and I disagree on bananas.  I like yellow. She likes green-yellow.  Luckily, they get to my liking eventually, but heaven help us if I buy too "ripe" bananas.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Death before brown bananas.

My LGS did a great job of choosing my produce, probably better than I would have done.

Smoothies are the final stage for bananas. 

But produce seems to be very individualized, but for all I know, the grocery apps ask your "preference level" for ripeness on thinks like tomatoes, avocados, or bananas????

I am a specific shopper.  I have a weekly menu and the ingredients I need.  If for example I need a red onion, based on the recipe I know how big or small I need.  If I get one that is too big, i end up throwing out what I dont use, and too small has its own problems

It is just easier this way

4 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I am a specific shopper.  I have a weekly menu and the ingredients I need.  If for example I need a red onion, based on the recipe I know how big or small I need.  If I get one that is too big, i end up throwing out what I dont use, and too small has its own problems

It is just easier this way

Really?  Can't keep bits of food to use creatively for another dish?  We do it all the time. Of course, occasionally have to throw something out because it never got fully used up.

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Really?  Can't keep bits of food to use creatively for another dish?  We do it all the time. Of course, occasionally have to throw something out because it never got fully used up.

My menu is usually pretty set, so if it is not enough for another recipe it just gets thrown out.  Occasionally in the summer we might throw a slad together but half a lemon or half an onion normally goes in the fridge and then thrown out a week or so later when it starts to go bad.   

33 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I made potato/leek soup tonight.  It ended up containing some bacon, spinach, zucchini, sweet potato and an avocado.  Yes, it was fridge cleaning day.  :) 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I made potato/leek soup tonight.  It ended up containing some bacon, spinach, zucchini, sweet potato and an avocado.  Yes, it was fridge cleaning day.  :) 

I don't get that crazy, dearie does though.  He does some truly creative stuff.  I'm not sure I would put avocado in soup.  I would put it on a cracker, etc.

22 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The shop rite I am using for my dad sends a text if something is not in stock and sends pictures of the options. 

I like grocery shopping and have never used delivery options.  But it seems to me in these months ahead, it may be a good option.  I would think meat, poultry, and produce would be items I'd prefer to buy in person though.  Otherwise, you know they'r'e probably giving you the grade B or C choices the other in store folks pass on.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I like grocery shopping and have never used delivery options.  But it seems to me in these months ahead, it may be a good option.  I would think meat, poultry, and produce would be items I'd prefer to buy in person though.  Otherwise, you know they'r'e probably giving you the grade B or C choices the other in store folks pass on.

Why do you believe this? If they gave you crappy food, you would not order a second time and likely leave a bad review.

If seems like all of you naysayers just discovered the internet yesterday. "This will never work. They're going to screw you. And get off my lawn."

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dennis said:

Why do you believe this? If they gave you crappy food, you would not order a second time and likely leave a bad review.

If seems like all of you naysayers just discovered the internet yesterday. "This will never work. They're going to screw you. And get off my lawn."

Because most of us are particular about those matters. I could have my hair cut anywhere but I don't. And, golly, I don't believe all the reviews I read either.

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Because most of us are particular about those matters. I could have my hair cut anywhere but I don't. And, golly, I don't believe all the reviews I read either.

Of course we are particular. But you said they would give grade b or c food. Do you think they have a stash of crap in the back and they are waiting for some dolt to order it? 

We are being asked to make sacrifices to flatten the curve. Read this thread and you get "I would do my part but I don't want an apple with a bruise."

I talked my mother into it. She's vulnerable and doesn't own a computer. I placed an order for her. It seemed crazy to let her risk getting sick because she wanted to choose her own apples. 

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Of course we are particular. But you said they would give grade b or c food. Do you think they have a stash of crap in the back and they are waiting for some dolt to order it? 

We are being asked to make sacrifices to flatten the curve. Read this thread and you get "I would do my part but I don't want an apple with a bruise."

I talked my mother into it. She's vulnerable and doesn't own a computer. I placed an order for her. It seemed crazy to let her risk getting sick because she wanted to choose her own apples. 

I didn't say I wouldn't do it... especially since I have little animal or animal by-products. Besides my wife insists on doing it all. So, Dennis, you are barking up the wrong 🌲. Whatever that means.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I didn't say I wouldn't do it... especially since I have little animal or animal by-products. Besides my wife insists on doing it all. So, Dennis, you are barking up the wrong 🌲. Whatever that means.

I was quoting what you wrote.

I've been ordering meat online for months, not because it's cheaper or more convenient, but because the quality is better.

• Heart 1

A number of people I know have tried using the online ordering recently for local grocery stores and are having trouble getting any slots.  I went to the grocery store a few times in the last few weeks, but as the number of cases grow in my town and area, I'm being more cautious.

9 minutes ago, Kirby said:

A number of people I know have tried using the online ordering recently for local grocery stores and are having trouble getting any slots.  I went to the grocery store a few times in the last few weeks, but as the number of cases grow in my town and area, I'm being more cautious.

This is true here too. We have three grocery stores, but only the smallest locally owned one offers online ordering. The chains do not. 

At least if more people are using the online service, the store is not as crowded for those who do not wish to order online. 

• Heart 1

If the number of new COVID-19 cases continues to surge (last day: 158 to 206 in my county, 1985 to 2331 in state) I may end up using one of those services where you pick it up at the store's dock.  Right now it's still low enough (0.036% of the local population with confirmed cases) that I don't think it's a big risk to go into the stores.

But even if I have food delivered or picked up at a dock, how many people have touched it, sneezed or coughed near it, etc.?

There are two things I am doing to reduce my chances of catching a virus or bacteria when out and about:

1. Washing hands with stuff like Purell (on Amazon it's only available for hospitals, etc., other sanitizers have mid-May delivery or are unavailable) or any cleaner in general is a good idea before and after going to stores, gas stations, etc.  When the bottle of Purell in my car runs out, I'll refill it with diluted Dawn dish detergent, diluted enough it won't leave my hands sticky.  COVID-19 is particular susceptible to being killed by detergents.

When I taught high school, I coauthored (wrote the labs for) a new curriculum, Nutrition Science, to replace Home Economics - which was idiotically being phased out under "No Child Left Behind."

I co-taught it the first year it was offered and one of the labs involved taking Scotch Tape and temporarily sticking it on cafeteria tables and other stuff, then - with Petri Dishes and bacterial nutrient media - analyzing how much bacteria had stuck to the tape.  The students were blown away by how much bacteria was all over things - including chairs, their lockers, etc.

But they were also impressed with how much was killed by the custodial staff's cleaning after the lunch periods were over.

2. They say the face masks only work as a preventive for 10 minutes but I may not need to be inside a grocery store for much longer since I usually take a shopping list with me.  I have a mask given to me when I visited my doctor's office for a sinus problem (Amoxicillin seems to be working!).  I'm keeping it in the car and plan to put it on when I get out to go into a store.