Coronavirus check-in - Do you know anyone personally who has gotten it?

Randomguy

No one I know.  I even searched my "I Grew Up In Brooklyn Park" Facebook page and none of my childhood friends and classmates has been reported catching it there and we get prayer requests there often for flu, etc.

If the numbers explode as projected, I'm sure to see some names I know.

On the other hand, we just don't know if we'll get saved by seasonality as the people of earth got saved in H. G. Wells, "War of the Worlds" when the unstoppable Martians were all killed by earth's microbes!

While I didn't know her, she was a lifelong friend of my sister who happened to live in Orlando. She was one of the first deaths. She had just retired and to celebrate went on a retirement cruise. Statistically, she counts as a Los Angeles fatality rather than Orlando.

• Sad 2

Mrs. Silly has a coworker who was diagnosed.  They didn't release the name but she thinks she knows who it is.  She didn't work closely with her.  

My nephew had a bad cough and was in a lot of pain for a couple days, he thinks he had it but didn't go to the doctor.

We have a family friend who passed suddenly recently.  His wife still hasn't share the cause.  Mrs. Silly and I are speculating that it was the virus.

I just received an e-mail saying someone in the building I work in was diagnosed. 

A guy who works for me and his wife, both in their early 60's and luckily both very healthy.  They are coming out of it now.  The good news is he is only part time for me so had not been to work for several weeks prior to getting sick, thus not contaminating the office or any of us.  They caught it from their daughter who had traveled with her two young kids and had gotten sick first,  and being good parents went over to help look after the kids.  

Neither were bad enough to be hospitalized and are doing a good job isolating at this point

• Heart 1

Not aware of any family or friends who have tested positive.  AZ will go to shelter in place Tuesday evening, except for essential services.  Exercise, including hiking, running, cycling, golf, are considered essential as long as social distance is maintained.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for recheck.

I now know someone directly who has it.  A coworker of mine (who got furloughed, btw) has it, his wife, too.

His wife was having some health problems, and he took a week off in early March to help her, the week before we all started working from home, so he has been away from any employees at the company for more than a month now.  The good news is that nobody in our office had any exposure to him since well before he could have contracted it.  He says he has been doing ok so far, although he has it worse than his wife.  I am waiting for an update.

Btw, the wife's health problems had her go to the hospital, which this now confirms as pretty much the worst place you could pick to go to.

Nobody I know has it.  

There was a mini outbreak at work, 4 people in one dept in the neighboring building.  They became symptomatic after they were sent home but it looks like one person was infectious the day we sent everyone home & gave it to the others during the move out. 

My friend seems to be holding steady. He is still posting on FB a little and in good humor. 

I learned my "nephew" lost his best friend to C19. They live in Denver. The nephew is the biological son of my brother's common law wife. They established contact a couple years ago. I have never met the guy but it is a connection and my brother was a bit upset. 

We're praying for a miracle for my brother's best friend.  He's been on a ventilator most of the last 2 weeks. The starts aren't very good for those who've been on a ventilator more than a week.

I posted on other threads that BuffCarla's cousin died of it Sunday.:(

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

We're praying for a miracle for my brother's best friend.  He's been on a ventilator most of the last 2 weeks. The starts aren't very good for those who've been on a ventilator more than a week.

Our thoughts are with you BuffJim.  Until this thing passes through -- I'm not calling you DeathJim anymore.

• Hugs 1

18 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I posted on other threads that BuffCarla's cousin died of it Sunday.:(

Sorry Jim..  Best to Carla. 

• Hugs 1

I mentioned my Aunt Sally, who will be 100 on August 1 and a tremendous party is planned, was diagnosed with COVID-19 on Monday and then had a fall, injuring her head and sending her to the hospital the same day in Morristown, NJ.

Today, there's been about the best news we could hope for though, of course, we're still cautious:  There was no significant damage to her head from the fall and she was sent back to the nursing home.  The doctor at the hospital estimates she has had COVID-19 for around two weeks but typical signs of the disease are NOT present!  She may be one of those who are virtually asymptomatic!  We hope it stays that way!  And I hope she and I share enough of the right genes that I have the same result if I catch it.

I mentioned Monday she's a tough old Polack and my cousin, her daughter, said the same thing in today's VERY POSITIVE report:

So mom was transported back to the nursing home by 7 last evening. Her right temple and area around the eye are a mess and hard to look at. Morristown Memorial took very cool care of her. They not only ran the CT scan but a number of other tests including her lungs. She’s a tough Polish lady and everything tested ok. She showed a bit of fluid on the lung but the doctors felt it was nothing to be dealt with. All her vitals are fine. So now to the covid. Based on her diagnosis and dates I tried to have the doctor estimate where she would be in the disease progression. The hospital doctor who I found to be extremely competent and realistic felt she was probably somewhere around two weeks. He felt that except for the positive test results all the typical signs of the disease were NOT present. He suggested that they measure certain key indicators every day and if there is a change re-evaluate doing nothing but monitoring. He indicated that had he felt she had any worrisome covid indications they would have admitted her to the hospital. Mom’s spirit seems ok given the situation. I am pretty upset with the care at the nursing home that this fall happened and will deal with that on the back end. The hardest part is not being able to be physically present and in control of the situation. Thank you for the Prayers and please keep them coming.

Aunt Sally on Saint Patrick's Day a few weeks ago:

Image6.jpg.6eb272796519b0ded7fafa4b91321444.jpg

• Heart 4