Garden thread

Allen

Planning on some peppers, tomatoes, broccoli & greens. Haven't had a garden in years, so it is a learning all over again experience.  There is a big old garden space here, they planted rye grass to sell the place but the garden is obvious.

Bought an old Troybilt tiller and dug up enough to find a couple issues with the tiller, a new belt and carb adjustment I hope will have me in business   

The garden soil looks really nice, Mennonites owned the place before me, they have a reputation for being excellent gardeners. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

My garden is too wet to do anything with yet. I’m growing rabbits this year. Something has been catching them and eating them right in the garden. I hope they eat the rest of them before I start to plant. I should shoot the ones hanging out in my flower bed but they are so cute. I have one neighbor that has half of a field plowed. It’s rough going in all the mud but the horses do better in the wet than the tractors the English farmers use. This one left me walk right up to him this morning.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I was wondering if I will be able to buy lettuce plants this year. I was just oot spreading compost and weeding in the garden plot today. 

Seeds Ralph. You don't need starts for lettuce.

My garden is still buried under at least a foot of snow.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

My garden is too wet to do anything with yet. I’m growing rabbits this year. Something has been catching them and eating them right in the garden. I hope they eat the rest of them before I start to plant. I should shoot the ones hanging out in my flower bed but they are so cute. I have one neighbor that has half of a field plowed. It’s rough going in all the mud but the horses do better in the wet than the tractors the English farmers use. This one left me walk right up to him this morning.

I saw someone plowing behind a mule, once. 

I have the garden tilled - except for the last 12 feet where the belt broke on the tiller.  Peas are in the ground.   6 flats of various veggies in the indoor greenhouse, only a few didn't come up yet.  I put the black plastic back down after tilling, I need a couple warmer weeks to kill the weeds so I can get the leafy seeds in the ground.  Plants will wait until May.

I'm seeing reports that seed companies are breaking sales records all of a sudden

I only have a four 2' x 8' garden boxes, just enough for some herbs, strawberries and some leafy greens.   Tomatoes and cucs go in the ground but it is too early for that yet.  

I use one whole  box just for garlic, which was planted in the fall and it is doing great.  63 of 64 cloves sprouted.

We prepped ours.  Gonna keep it simple.  Bush beans, spaghetti squash, onions, leafy greens, kale, cilantro.  carrots, radishes, potato. bush peas.  We will likely be home more this season, as over half of our vacation time will likely be revoked.  Happy to have jobs, so no complaints.

Gonna skip cucumbers, tomatoes, and the really labor intensive things and things that do not grow well here.  I will try and buy those items.  If not available, oh well.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Online seeds I use  - Burpee (often the most expensive) Johnnyseeds, Park Seed, rareseeds.com

Burpee and Ferry Morse are cheapest at Home Depot and Lowes

I’ve been pulling seed from Home Despot. Last year’s garden had a lot from burpee. 

8 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Our garden is 180 ft x 300 ft because that is what we can cover with our traveler irrigation.  We plan to work up a small part of it tomorrow for early plants.  It will still be several weeks before we do anything with most of it.

That’s huge. 

On 4/1/2020 at 5:39 PM, Airehead said:

I have bought seeds. New place so no garden space. Still deciding where that is safe from deer and Airedales.   Will definitely need fencing. 

The roof?

The old Troybilt works pretty decently, But I'm sorta wishing I had held out for a tractor with a hitch mounted tiller...Ah well I need some upper body exercise.

Tilled 2 beds, planning on 2 more.

There is a really fat woodchuck cruising around the yard that I gotta deal with.

IMG_4314.JPG

2G2A3715-2.JPG

1 hour ago, Further said:

The old Troybilt works pretty decently, But I'm sorta wishing I had held out for a tractor with a hitch mounted tiller...Ah well I need some upper body exercise.

There is a really fat woodchuck cruising around the yard that I gotta deal with.

IMG_4314.JPG

2G2A3715-2.JPG

Ahh, nothing like virgin soil for a garden.  You will have a good year if you can deal with that )(**^%% woodchuck!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

There's a place a few blocks from my house that has classes on stuff. They did a cool job on fixing up the barn 

https://nourishfarms.org

On 4/2/2020 at 7:28 PM, Further said:

IMG_4314.JPG

2G2A3715-2.JPG

I have a Troybilt like that. They used to run ads for them showing a little old lady walking along side one of those while it’s breaking up sod and she is walking along guiding it with one hand. They never showed who turned it around for her when she got to the end of the row.

That woodchuck needs some lead poisoning.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Our neighbor across the street catches them in a live trap and takes them far far away. I think she might be getting too old for that now. They are apparently a handful when in the trap!

My dad would catch groundhogs and raccoons in a live trap and execute them with a 22 pistol and bury them in the garden.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My dad would catch groundhogs and raccoons in a live trap and execute them with a 22 pistol and bury them in the garden.

This lady was a science teacher who is a huge wildlife enthusiast. My youngest had her class and they used to catch turtles in the pond behind her house. She recently went on an African safari and loved it. Good thing she went a couple years ago!  She tells us all aboot the birds and shit around here.  

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

That woodchuck needs some lead poisoning.

I would be shooting in the general direction of some houses, the residents might rightfully object.

Trap seems most practical.

And woodchucks are a mean critter. On the bicycle I cornered one once, when he realized he couldn't get back to his burrow he turned to fight, there was a hellish snarl came out of him. I swerved quite a ways out around him.