Meatloaf?

Dirtyhip

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Yes mostly like meatballs. I don’t really have a recipe.  Ground meat, bread crumbs, a couple eggs, some milk like stuff if needed, spices, smash together and form in. Loaf. 

Exactly. That’s why I call Paula Dean’s and Alton Brown’s recipes guide lines.  
Hand grenades, horseshoes, and meatloaf. Close enough will get you there.   

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Yes mostly like meatballs. I don’t really have a recipe.  Ground meat, bread crumbs, a couple eggs, some milk like stuff if needed, spices, smash together and form in. Loaf. 

This. Plus whatever we have on hand, onions, red peppers, onion soup mix, etc....

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

My mom used bread crumbs but my wife always used oatmeal. Mine are always an experiment because I like to experiment. If I can add healthy ingredients I do. This weeks meatloaf had a large orange bell pepper and a large sweet onion chopped up in the mix with oatmeal and two eggs. It turned out real soft right out of the oven. Was still good and very tasty. Probably all the extra moisture from the vegetables. It was firmer the next day as leftovers.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

Its a simple meal, I think.  We have some grass fed ground meat, and I get sick of making hamburgers.  Just thought I would try something different.  

Feeling fairly uninspired.

I made these fanned potatoes recently.  Not sure what they are called.  You cut the potato almost all the way through but now quite.  It makes like a fan.  I used coconut oil in stead of butter, spices.

My pantry is already running somewhat low in some items.  I've resorted to garlic powder, and onions.  

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Its a simple meal, I think.  We have some grass fed ground meat, and I get sick of making hamburgers.  Just thought I would try something different.  

I made these fanned potatoes recently.  Not sure what they are called.  You cut the potato almost all the way through but now quite.  It makes like a fan.  I used coconut oil in stead of butter, spices.

My pantry is already running somewhat low in some items.  I've resorted to garlic powder, and onions.  

Hasselback potatoes. I made those on Sunday as we had a couple potatoes that needed to be used. 

49 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

How do you make it?  I might make some, but I have never done it.  Is it like meatballs, only a loaf?

Kinda.

I use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs.  An onion.  An egg.  Ground beef.  Spices, really salt and pepper is all you need.  I add milk.

That is the basic recipe.  The onion soup mix instead of salt and pepper works well, too, as do any random veggies (finely chopped into it).

I seem to remember that Indy makes a meatloaf very similar to mine.

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Again, using ground beef we had this tonight.    https://www.theseasonedmom.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/#wprm-recipe-container-44861

added sriracha sauce and some ginger root.

6 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Use as lean a ground beef that you have. Not only does it shrink, but when in a loaf pan, nowhere for it to go until fully cooked you drain the grease out.

I usually buy ground chuck and it is very lean. I quit being frugal when buying groceries as I got older and had more money and less mouths to feed.

• Haha 1

Meatloaf is similar to meatballs, though meatballs tend to be a little spicier.  At the end of a few meatloaf recipes, for comparison I put a raved-about meatball recipe by "KittenCal," who is one of the most followed contributors to food.com and if she posted it - it's excellent.

Here's my meatloaf recipe, which allows for a lot of variation, and a couple others.

Mick’s Meatloaf

§ 2 lbs ground beef, meatloaf mix, or 1 lb ground beef & 1 lb ground pork, or 1 lb ground beef and ½-1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage removed from casing.

§ 4 slices of sandwich bread, torn/cut into 1/2” to 1” pieces

§ 2 eggs

§ 8 oz tomato sauce (reserve about 4 oz to put on top)

§ 1/4 cup A-1 sauce or ketchup

§ ½ tbsp dry Italian Seasoning (or ½ tsp each: oregano, basil, thyme)

§ 1 envelope onion soup mix or ½-1 cup small diced onion

Optional Sauce for on Top: 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 4 tbsp ketchup

Optional things to try: 1/4 cup salsa-cut tomato sauce in half, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, Salsa, Ritz crackers instead of bread, chili sauce instead of ketchup or ½ of each, ½ tsp sage, 2/3 of a 10.5 oz. can of condensed mushroom soup (rest on top) instead of tomato sauce, seasoned stuffing mix, 1/3 cup grated carrot.

In a large bowl, first coat the bread with the milk (this makes a “panade” that holds moisture in). Then add and combine the rest of the ingredients (reserving the 4 oz of tomato sauce for the top), mixing by hand, shape into a loaf, and place in a 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam or wiped with oil. Pour the remaining 4 oz. Of tomato sauce over top of loaf before baking

Bake 350°F for about one hour in 9x13 pan, or about 40 minutes in muffin tins for individual servings.

Lipton Souperior Meat Loaf Recipe 

1 envelope onion soup mix
2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 C bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/3 C ketchup
3/4 C water (if needed)

1. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
2. Bake 350°F for about one hour in 9x13 pan, or about 40 minutes in muffin tins for individual servings.

A-1 Meatloaf
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Meatloaf  Serves/Makes: 6    |   Difficulty Level: 2    |   Ready In: 1-2 hrs

Ingredients:

1 can (8 oz size) tomato sauce, divided
2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Reserve 1/2 the tomato sauce.

Mix remaining tomato sauce, beef, onion, bread crumbs, steak sauce, eggs and pepper; mix well. Press mixture into 9x5-inch loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes; pour off fat. Top with reserved tomato sauce; bake 10 minutes more.

Recipe Location: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/256/A1-Meatloaf74147.shtml
Recipe ID: 44931

Italian Meatloaf Recipe

http://www.tastymeatloafrecipes.com/italianmeatloaf.htm

This meatloaf recipe is also called Meatloaf Braccioli because of the way the loaf is rolled.  Braccioli means rolled meat in sauce.  This meatloaf recipe offers a new twist for braccioli since it is made of ground beef to form a meatloaf.  It is truly an enjoyable meal.

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef (leaner is better)
• 1 4 ounce can mushrooms (reserve juice)
• 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 center cut bacon strips
• 1 teaspoon dried parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon basil
• 1/2 teaspoon thyme
• 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• 1 cup mozzarella cheese
• 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Add water to mushroom juice to make 1 cup.  Fry bacon until crispy, drain and crumble.  Set aside.

Combine beef, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, egg, mushroom juice, garlic powder and salt in a large bowl.  Mix well.  On wax paper, form meat mixture into a 8x12 inch rectangle.

Sprinkle meat with parsley, oregano, basil, thyme and 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs.  Spread bacon, onion, mushrooms and cheese evenly over meat.

Roll meat into an 8 inch wide loaf.  Place meatloaf into an 8 inch glass bread pan or glass baking dish.

Bake for 60 minutes.  Pour tomato sauce over meatloaf, and cook for an additional 15 minutes.

Let meatloaf sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

Kittencal's Famous Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs Recipe

https://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-italian-melt-in-your-mouth-meatballs-69173

These make fantastic appetizers for holiday get togethers, bake in the oven until well browned place on a platter inserted with long colored toothpicks, serve with a BBQ sauce on the side for dipping see my recipe#73362 .... and recipe#201972 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------cooking the meatballs in simmering pasta sauce will not only add so much extra flavor to the sauce the meatballs will be melt-in-your-mouth tender, you may of course oven-bake the meatballs for about 25 minutes --- don't be afraid to add in more Parmesan cheese and a little more milk, there is no need to measure exactly, this recipe is pretty much foolproof, leftover cooked meatballs make a wonderful pizza topping just slice thinly and freeze until ready to use ----- these also make wonderful juicy burgers shaped into patties.

by KITTENCAL 

image.png.d6da6d50e47ea4826923ce697c0d5817.png

Rated 5 out of 5 by 344 people

50 min | 20 min prep

1 1/2 pounds

· 1 1/2 lbs lean beef (or a mixture of beef, pork and veal, I mostly use a mixture of 1 pound beef and 1/2 pound pork)

· 1 large egg, slightly beaten

· 1/3-1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated

· 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or use enough to hold the meat together)

· 1-2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste)

· 1-2 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use 2 teaspoons seasoned sal)

· 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)

· 1/3 cup milk (can use up to 1/2 cup milk)

· 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional, or to taste)

· 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 2 tablespoons dried parsley)

1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.

2. Shape into small meatballs (at this point you can place on a jelly-roll/baking sheet and freeze to use later, or cover with plastic wrap refrigerate up to 24 hours before using).

3. Drop the meatballs into simmering pasta sauce, do not stir for at least 20 minutes or you will risk breaking the meatballs.

4. Continue cooking in the simmering sauce for another 20 minutes (depending on how fast your sauce is simmering 40 minutes total should fully cook the meatballs).

5. After the 40 minutes cooking time continue cooking your sauce with the meatballs in for as long as desired.

6. **note** you may also bake the meatballs at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until cooked through.

• Heart 1

I like Panko.

Meatloaf is whatever you want it to be, except maybe tofu...

But there are themes, bacon, bbq, chili spices, ketchup. I got some truffle powder, and I've added a little of that at times.

We have a double meatloaf pan, the inner pan has holes and the fat drains into the outer pan. So. if you get adventurous and add a rich sausage, you won't pay too high a price later.

Has anybody mentioned worcester sauce? I use that stuff a lot.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/rustic-french-meatloaf-352292

If you use chicken livers, because pate is really just French for meatloaf, I strongly suggest getting organic or Bell & Evans at Whole Foods.

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

With pork, veal, turkey, a shite load of veggies and seasoning.  There is no real recipe to meatloaf as it is very regional and made in most countries.

I just form it into a loaf and cook on parchment paper.

If things get bad I bet I could make an awesome meat loaf with the rabbits and free range chickens that run around my yard all the time. I never tried groundhog but I hear it’s not too bad if you get them young. The one that raids my garden and taunts me would probably be tough.i have lots of doves but I would have to be desperate to eat them, they are like family.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

How do you make it?  I might make some, but I have never done it.  Is it like meatballs, only a loaf?

I use one of them meatloaf mixes which has spices & stuff, or my own spices. I use a bread pan. I also add jalopenos :)  Bake an hour at 350°

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Indy said:

Best recipe I've found.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16354/easy-meatloaf/

WoIndy makes me back off the Mustard used in the topping, so I cut that in half.

Yup, that is where I started out, really only usually sub oatmeal for the breadcrumbs, at least at first.  You gotta soak the raw oatmeal in the milk for 10-15 minutes, though. 

I sometimes will add mushrooms, but they add liquid if you don’t drive off the moisture first in a microwave.  I can sub the mushrooms for up to 20% or so of the ground meat   

Just stick with one meat source, getting all fancy is high maintenance and never seemed to make it better for me, just fattier.

anyway, the basic recipe is basically impossible to screw up, and is generally better than other recipes  I have tried.  Using onion soup mix instead of spices works well, too  

WoW makes it every once in a while. No set recipe. Just depends on what is in the house. She recently made one stuffed with mac'n'cheese from a recipe my son sent her and requested when he visited. It was good, but the m&c was pretty basic. She wants to play with it again to give it a little more pop. 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Best recipe I've found.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16354/easy-meatloaf/

WoIndy makes me back off the Mustard used in the topping, so I cut that in half.

I saw that one.  I have everything in this.  Will adjust, because I have 2/3 of the meat that is listed here.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Yup, that is where I started out, really only usually sub oatmeal for the breadcrumbs, at least at first.  You gotta soak the raw oatmeal in the milk for 10-15 minutes, though. 

I sometimes will add mushrooms, but they add liquid if you don’t drive off the moisture first in a microwave.  I can sub the mushrooms for up to 20% or so of the ground meat   

Just stick with one meat source, getting all fancy is high maintenance and never seemed to make it better for me, just fattier.

anyway, the basic recipe is basically impossible to screw up, and is generally better than other recipes  I have tried.  Using onion soup mix instead of spices works well, too  

Very helpful.  I do have some mushrooms.  

25 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I saw that one.  I have everything in this.  Will adjust, because I have 2/3 of the meat that is listed here.

I went the other way, I have the recipe in my recipe book but adjust for 2lbs of hamburger now.

The amount of food my daughter (not the almost teenage son) puts away is freaking amazing.

• Haha 1