Trader Joe's report 3/30

Randomguy

After work, I wanted to get one thing, which was grape juice.  I haven't had grape juice in about 10 years or so, but suddenly had a craving and knew TJ's would have it and it wouldn't be crappy grape juice.

So anyway, I get off the train and there is a long ass line to get in, everybody snaked out 6 feet away from the next.  I settle in and see that it is creeping, they are only letting one person in at a time when somebody comes out.  I go inside eventually and it is nicely uncrowded for a change, and you can see around you for once.

People here, unaccustomed to actual space, suddenly lose the ability to realize when they are in the way or obstructing everyone, which is annoying.  I used my cart to ram several others out of the way, you really had to.  Anyway, the store was sparse as far as products go.  I think enough employees called in that they were having trouble stocking the shelves.

I ended up grabbing what I could because I didn't want to have to come back every couple of days like I usually do, I don't dig standing in lines to get in a store.  The total for the grape juice was $118, but I grabbed some expensive for me things out of necessity rather than having to come back, like I said.  It was kind of a Costco effect, in a way.  "Oh, I should grab that for the freezer" situation.

So there you go.  Three weeks in and it is harder to shop than two weeks ago when all the hoarding was going on.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It was the christianity show that snuck that thought into me, probably!

Concord grape juice is what I bought.

White?  I prefer the white to the purple/red, but definitely was the opposite as a kid.  Stuff is pretty much pure sugar, though :(

Went by TJ's the other day, and the lot was almost empty which NEVER happens when they are open.  They had a lot of staff outside, so must have been doing the limited entry thing.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

So anyway, I get off the train and there is a long ass line to get in

Also, WTF are the "trains" still running in NYC?  Any rules on that?

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

How are people supposed to get around?  I doubt many own vehicles.  

Walk? Ride?  You haven't been to NYC yet, have you?  I don't think RG is in Manhattan, but even the other boroughs have a some level of non-mass transit or car options.  I guess his feet are bothering him, and he is choosing TJs which might not be local, but I don't really know.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

White?  I prefer the white to the purple/red, but definitely was the opposite as a kid.  Stuff is pretty much pure sugar, though :(

Went by TJ's the other day, and the lot was almost empty which NEVER happens when they are open.  They had a lot of staff outside, so must have been doing the limited entry thing.

Also, WTF are the "trains" still running in NYC?  Any rules on that?

Trains run because they have to.  DH is right, you have to be a special kind of idiot to own a car here.

Purple pure sugar.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Walk? Ride?  You haven't been to NYC yet, have you?  I don't think RG is in Manhattan, but even the other boroughs have a some level of non-mass transit or car options.  I guess his feet are bothering him, and he is choosing TJs which might not be local, but I don't really know.

You can walk, but it isn't practical much of the time.  You can ride if you have a bike and want to get it stolen, chewed up, or eventually get nailed by a car.  You can take a bus (which is how I got home from TJ's last night).

I am in Manhattan, which is small in one way (for car people), but is large and hard to traverse in other ways, especially if you are carrying packages.

41 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It was the christianity show that snuck that thought into me, probably!

Concord grape juice is what I bought.

You fargin bastige!  Now I want a big ice cold glass of grape juice.  I might even want it over ice, so that after the juice is gone you ahve that layer of frozen grape juice stuck on the ice that you can crunch on.

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You fargin bastige!  Now I want a big ice cold glass of grape juice.  I might even want it over ice

That is just what I did!  Well, kind of.  First I put it in the freezer for an hour (the juice was at room temperature at the store), but also put a thick glass in the freezer, too, so I wouldn't feel compelled to drink it quickly lest it get warm.   I then poured it over ice anyway.

It was AWESOME!  I am fantasizing about it right now again.  You should get some today.

42 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I liked Uber in Manhattan.  The latest scam I have seen though is the driver contacts you, tells you he is delayed so please cancel the trip.  You cancel and get dinged with a 5 dollar cancellation fee.  Easy money for drivers. 

Uber is out the window now, although I never took them much anyway.  Every first-person article I read about coronavirus testing starts out the same.  "I was feeling all sick with all the symptoms, and knew I needed to get checked out.  So I called an Uber to get me to the hospital, but they wouldn't test me, the bastards!"  The sick people's primary form of transport to the ER is Uber, so no thanks to those guys driving the germmobiles and the sick fucking idiots who think nothing of the driver or other people who will be passengers after they have touched everything in the car.  Assholes.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Old ladies mastered it years ago with those grocery carts.

image.thumb.png.9d3a502e100cbc16d3129941ad32b57a.png

Yeah, but are you going to load up and take that everywhere with you?  Not convenient when full and you are walking miles.

I generally take a backpack and carry stuff in bags if everything doesn't fit in.  

It is not a convenient life at times in NYC.  Some things are really convenient, many things are not.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is just what I did!  Well, kind of.  First I put it in the freezer for an hour (the juice was at room temperature at the store), but also put a thick glass in the freezer, too, so I wouldn't feel compelled to drink it quickly lest it get warm.   I then poured it over ice anyway.

It was AWESOME!  I am fantasizing about it right now again.  You should get some today.

You cork sucking sum a na batch! 

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Uber is out the window now, although I never took them much anyway.  Every first-person article I read about coronavirus testing starts out the same.  "I was feeling all sick with all the symptoms, and knew I needed to get checked out.  So I called an Uber to get me to the hospital, but they wouldn't test me, the bastards!"  The sick people's primary form of transport to the ER is Uber, so no thanks to those guys driving the germmobiles and the sick fucking idiots who think nothing of the driver or other people who will be passengers after they have touched everything in the car.  Assholes.

If they are riding in the car, they have to touch the door handles.  Seems like many don't have a choice but Uber.

Can't call an ambulance due to cost and it is not an emergency, unless one can not breathe.  Don't want to take the trains or bus, because they may feel too weak or sick to travel like that.  Seems that Uber is their only option.  

51 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Old ladies mastered it years ago with those grocery carts.

image.thumb.png.9d3a502e100cbc16d3129941ad32b57a.png

My brother and his wife moved from the burbs to downtown Chicago about 6 months ago. He bought one recently. He likes it a lot for what they need. He told me he is starting to get braver about taking the bike and will probably get a backpack for small errands with the bike. 

23 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You are right. 

So I went to the liquor store yesterday just for the experience. They wanted $1.15 for a single bottled water. Okay, I thought. Then I saw they were charging $26 for a case of bottled water. Hmmm. There was no hoarding of bottled water going on there. So I was forced to concede that my $26 would be far better spent on a bottle of Old Grandad 114 than on a case of water. A successful outing it was.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is no different from before, though.  Same same.

I talk to my mom on the phone during my lunchtime walkabout.  She is almost always bitching to me about the sirens in the background as I walk :)  I'm like, "It's a city, Mom."  Usually it is ambulances, but sometimes a fire truck or a cop car.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

People here, unaccustomed to actual space, suddenly lose the ability to realize when they are in the way or obstructing everyone, which is annoying.

This bugged the hell out me the last couple of times shopping.  Costco was the exception - it seemed like the vast majority there were considerate.