As it turns out, my local hospital was designed for a pandemic.

Wilbur

The hospital doubled in size and there are now two towers with a breezeway connecting them.  The breezeway is now closed by an airlock and one tower is specifically for Corona positive patients and the other for all else.  They are basically twinned, each with their own surgical floors.   Hmm, the thing this virus has caused me to learn.. 

• Heart 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The hospital doubled in size and there are now two towers with a breezeway connecting them.  The breezeway is now closed by an airlock and one tower is specifically for Corona positive patients and the other for all else.  They are basically twinned, each with their own surgical floors.   Hmm, the thing this virus has caused me to learn.. 

This was a single tower hospital that added a new tower?  Do you know how much of that was "planned" versus happenstance?  The hospital next door to me is always adding on, and I wonder how much is organized like that.

Luckily, I rarely set foot in our hospital.

My regional hospital just finished an expansion, like finished weeks ago.  The new wing has a completely separate air handling system and was/is to be the new main entrance, but given the timing and setup, the decided to open the new section as a covid center and rest of the hospital for normal operation.

On another note.  I remember growing up where every town seemed to have their own hospital with quite a few beds.  Those were all closed for small outpatient surgery centers and all you had were a few regional hospitals that had bought out all of the hospitals and neighboring towns and closed them.  Right about now, all those local hospitals look like they were the better idea.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

This was a single tower hospital that added a new tower? 

Correct

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you know how much of that was "planned" versus happenstance? 

My Doc sits on the regional planning committee and tells me it was designed that way and is the designated infectious disease hospital for the region. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

On another note.  I remember growing up where every town seemed to have their own hospital with quite a few beds.  Those were all closed for small outpatient surgery centers and all you had were a few regional hospitals that had bought out all of the hospitals and neighboring towns and closed them.  Right about now, all those local hospitals look like they were the better idea.

This has been going on everywhere, and it kinda sucks.  Boulder used to have a couple of hospitals, but I know one closed long ago in the consolidation game.

I wish I was there now.  I could ride a bike or somesuch.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

This has been going on everywhere, and it kinda sucks.  Boulder used to have a couple of hospitals, but I know one closed long ago in the consolidation game.

I wish I was there now.  I could ride a bike or somesuch.

Sister-in-law says it pretty much on lockdown.