How many meals do you have?

Randomguy

We spend the summer stocking the freezer from the garden.  Some raw, some prepared.  If we do buy meats, we'll buy larger cuts and freeze the excess.  There's dry goods in the pantry, miscellaneous pickled stuff.  Ingredients to bake stuff.  So we're more than good to go, but that's no different than always

PSA:  please do not stock up on large amounts of food.  If everyone would just shop like they always do, there will be no difference in the supermarkets.  The only reason shelves are bare is because people are freaking out and hoarding.  Today is assistance day.  People who can't afford to buy ahead got government checks today.  They went to the store to buy food for the first time since their last check ran out.  And there's nothing to buy.  A lot of these people are going hungry, or hitting food banks today.  Oh the food banks are running dry, because a lot of their stock comes from excess at the supermarkets.  And they run on retired volunteers - who are staying home.

Not trying to get on anyone case here, but the important takeaway: we're making sure the food supply is uninterrupted from the source, the only food problem is everyone stocking up, and that's really hurting low income folks.  You will be able to get food.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I could probably go at least 60 days, but after the first couple weeks or month it would be a repetitive diet with a lot of  lipton soup, macaroni and cheese, poptarts, peanut butter crackers and canned fruit cocktail.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, 12string said:

We spend the summer stocking the freezer from the garden.  Some raw, some prepared.  If we do buy meats, we'll buy larger cuts and freeze the excess.  There's dry goods in the pantry, miscellaneous pickled stuff.  Ingredients to bake stuff.  So we're more than good to go, but that's no different than always

PSA:  please do not stock up on large amounts of food.  If everyone would just shop like they always do, there will be no difference in the supermarkets.  The only reason shelves are bare is because people are freaking out and hoarding.  Today is assistance day.  People who can't afford to buy ahead got government checks today.  They went to the store to buy food for the first time since their last check ran out.  And there's nothing to buy.  A lot of these people are going hungry, or hitting food banks today.  Oh the food banks are running dry, because a lot of their stock comes from excess at the supermarkets.  And they run on retired volunteers - who are staying home.

Not trying to get on anyone case here, but the important takeaway: we're making sure the food supply is uninterrupted from the source, the only food problem is everyone stocking up, and that's really hurting low income folks.  You will be able to get food.

There is not a food supply issue at all, but a logistics and shipping issue and stocking issue.  It'll work out.

I don't think that many people are hoarding, just stocking up and keeping stocked.  Except for toilet paper.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

There is not a food supply issue at all, but a logistics and shipping issue and stocking issue.  It'll work out.

I don't think that many people are hoarding, just stocking up and keeping stocked.  Except for toilet paper.

True.  But, in a literal - declared and everything -NATIONAL EMERGENCY, it still is a prudent and responsible idea to stock up sufficiently so you have enough food (and TP) for several weeks.  This creates an AUTOMATIC reduction in person-on-person interactions that are what are currently so dangerous and greatly responsible for the spread of COVID-19. 

IOW, one trip to the grocery store every other week is ONE exposure - for you and for the staff and for other people.  Popping in and out every day or two is clearly far more exposure and, in many ways, reckless & thoughtless behavior.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

If we couldn't replenish, probably about 50-60 days, But anything after 30 days would be pretty slim pickings. Beans, canned fish, and canned collared greens kinda meals.

Similar here. Maybe 30 days decent meals and then rice, beans, and canned stuff. Hopefully can still get out for milk and greens. 

i have about 16 lbs of beef in various forms: steak, meatballs, corned beef, frozen cheeseburgers, etc.

I have about 5 lbs of pork in ham, sausage, and bacon.

I have 5 lbs of chicken nuggets.

I have 8 lbs of seafood.

I have 5 full meals worth of frozen dinners

Assuming an avg. 1/3 lb of meat per meal (3-4 oz with spaghetti, 6-8 oz. with baked main-course meat, etc.) that's about 78 meals.  The seafood pushes the total to around 90.

I don't have any where close to enough veggies to go with all that meat and seafood for complete meals, but can easily do 30.

That's not counting a bottle of wine and summer sausage and a block of colby/jack cheese to go with it - which I'm saving for a night ot celebrate or a night where I just need it!

• Heart 1

I have 2 chicken breasts and a container of bits to stir fry..a pound of ground beef and maybe 1/2 pound groud pork....planning to make sauce and meatballs. some frozen and fresh stuff....I am trying to limit to 1 sore run per week...although I did pick up a dozen eggs at the LGS by work..in and out about 11:30AM works pretty good...not too many people..

I got take out tonight...I was the only customer in the store...a local restaurant..I left a tip on take out :whistle:

• Heart 1